Barbarosa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barbarosa Reviews

August 17, 2016
Cowboy duo escape family problems in this boring western.
December 12, 2013
Australian director Fred Schepisi does a careful job of bringing the western legend to light with endearing performances from actors Willie Nelson and Gary Busey.
½ June 3, 2013
A Great Western and an Examination of Myth--Bizzare Western!!
October 2, 2012
Great western fun with plenty of grit.

PLOT:After farm boy bumpkin Karl (Gary Busey) flees home after accidentally killing a couple of people, he runs into the most notorious criminal in the area, Barbarosa (Willie Nelson), who also has family problems. They are an unlikely team, but they decide to ride together and become the legends of the west. It's a basic western plot, but it's executed in a way that it comes off as an homage to most past westerns.

ACTING:Willie Nelson isn't my favorite singer of all time. In fact, I can hardly stand him, but his acting is more worth it than I thought. I think he should have taken up acting over singing more often. Busey did a great job as well, adding a bit of fun charm to the role that could come off as a comic relief to some. Every other performance was decent, but not anything truly special. These two clearly own the show.

SCORE:Most of the score was played for comic effect, but it did have some nice Mexican mood-setting music at times.

OTHER CONTENT:This film resembles what I would call a worthy homage. This passes out a fine salute to the westerns of yesteryear with enough scenes of grit, camp, and toughness to make a western fan grin with nostalgia. Though it is pretty cheesy in some parts and pretty generic in plotting, it is a pretty fine western that can bring memories of the Man with No Name from its character backstories all the way down to its cheaply made effects.

OVERALL,a great western homage with a basically lovable plot, surprisingly good and decent acting, mood-fitting score, and enough grit and camp to be considered a rightful homage, but it was merely a western of ordinary proportions.
April 3, 2012

April 3, 2012

½ October 17, 2010
My favorite Willie Western, with Red Headed Stranger a close second!
August 15, 2010
This is easily Gary Busey's best performance ever(yes, better than Point Break). Willie Nelson is awe inspiring in this simple gritty western about the code between some men of a partially forgotten era. This film packs powerful lessons about the poison of revenge and the edurance of love and legacy.
April 27, 2010
The last film I liked Gary Busey in.
April 21, 2009
find this one and watch it. It's wonderful! It's sweet and sad and funny and a damn good western.
April 5, 2009
Willie Nelson basically plays himself in this colorful Western. He and Gary Busey make quite a pair.
August 5, 2008
A lot of this has all been said before and perhaps no one cares really. But this movie is way under appreciated and largely under-rated. This is a gritty western with a simple but compelling story. I'll leave the descriptions of plot and so forth to others. Some have said the music is awful and that it doesn't seem to fit the ebb and flow of the movie. My family and I loved the music. It is unique and unpredictable. Gary Busey may be crazy these days, but his acting talent really shows in this 90 minute tribute to spaghetti westerns of the 60's. Perhaps the comedic value of the dialogue is unintentional, but it is there none the less. This movie has some of the best one-liners in any script that has been written. What's also nice about this movie is that there is no pretense. What you see is what you get; no dark undercurrent and secondary message to ponder. So don't look for one. Just enjoy the story as it is portrayed on screen.
May 15, 2008
Loved Willie Nelson and Gary Busey in this movie. Plus, Willie rides a gorgeous Appaloosa.
February 5, 2008
Willie Nelson rules.
August 21, 2007
i would like to see this one..
½ June 28, 2007
Damn Universal for blocking this movies release to theatres. This film has it all: one legged Mexicans, prostitute on prostitute violence, rattlesnakes, and Willie Nelson!! sweeeeet
June 14, 2007
Great movie produced by the greatest motion pictures professor at the University of Miami!!!
½ June 13, 2007
Willie Nelson as a redbearded outlaw? Come on! This might be his best role ever. Its a classic in my mind. Gary Busey and Willie's combo was much like Poncho and Lefty.
June 10, 2007
One of the most underrated westerns ever made.
June 9, 2007
If this was a spagetti western it would be a cult sensation. but the combinatin of gary busey and Willie NElson is fabulous .