Bareuge salja (Going by the Book) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bareuge salja (Going by the Book) Reviews

March 15, 2015
Going by the Book is a weird but fun experimental crime comedy. Do-man is a straight laced traffic cop, demoted because of something he did a few years back. After butting heads with the new Chief, he is asked personally to inhabit the role of a robber. He will be doing this during a police exercise to regain the public's trust, after a string of bank robberies shock the small town community. Thing is, Do-man doesn't slack when he's a traffic cop, and he doesn't slack when he goes full bank robbery mode and becomes the ultimate bank robbery. Full of weird moments, its definitely a strange and unique movie, but its a fun and refreshing take on the heist movie.
½ December 26, 2012
Fun comedy about following the rules. Straight-laced police officer Jung is asked to play a robber in a training exercise, but no one expected he would be so good at it!
October 27, 2012
Great and funny at the same time.
July 27, 2012
Going by the Book is a great movie with a lot of flaws. Clean up the script and the plot holes and you have a 4 or 5 star movie. The idea is great, the story is very interesting and the actors do a wonderful job but the writer and first time director were unable to clean up some of the loose ends thus resulting in a somewhat head scratching ending and many unanswered questions. Still for a new tank on a bank heist (well sort of) this is a fun foreign flick to give a try.
July 18, 2012
Great Movie like castaway on the moon
July 13, 2012
Great comic premise--This was an enjoyable film with originality in idea, and as such can be forgiven any flaws in execution as minor!!
½ June 5, 2012
A wonderful movie, a little like a comic version of Inside Man. Goes a little awry at a couple of points, but for the most part it's a nice concept that's incredibly well-executed.
May 27, 2012
comical, funny, and smart.
May 20, 2012
definitely a very unique bank heist film. Thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end!!!
½ April 21, 2012
Very funny movie. Really enjoyed this one.
April 14, 2012
Clever plot and plenty of hilarious situations.
March 29, 2012
It's ok, could have been better, and there's no reply factor.
February 20, 2012
A whole lot of fun. Its one of those sleeper films that gives you so much more than you thought it could.
½ December 28, 2011
Pretty good movie. Original plot.
November 22, 2011
quite a creative plot
a number of hilarious moments
i'd recommend
½ October 27, 2011
While, pretty obviously, this movie is nowhere near as good a dramatic movie as Dog Day Afternoon, as far as entertaining bank heist films, this has to place at the top of the list. It's an incredibly entertaining, fun, wacky, and silly movie. All the things you could ever want really. Quite frankly, this movie is perfectly ripe for an American remake. As far as the idea goes, I don't think I've ever seen a lot quite like this one, it's literally ALL a fucking simulation and they build a story off of that and it works. It doesn't work in a dramatic manner, but the movie does have its serious scenes, but I never found myself complaining about the improbability of things going as far as they did. And that speaks to the strength of the movie's writing. Not that it was Coen Brothers' caliber writing, but, again, it succeeds in making you suspend your disbelief. What also helps is that the movie is really funny at times and how, by contrast, Jae-yeong Jeong (who's becoming one of my new favorite actors) plays it completely serious. Sort of like Leslie Nielsen in Airplane...there's all this absurdity going on around him and he's the straight man in it. Granted, Jae never reaches that level. But yea, I really enjoyed this movie. It's not perfect, but it's great entertainment and I would watch this movie again in a fucking heartbeat.
December 8, 2010
Rape has never been funnier. I know that probably isn't going to win anyone over, so let me tell you that it's funny because no one is raped. A cop who never strays from the rules is made to fake a bank robbery. Other cops will play roles to foil him. He's district has the most robberies and the police need to save face. Obviously a by the book cop won't make a good bank robber. What is misunderstood is, he does everything in his life the same way he does his police work. He takes charge of the situation quickly, handles all problems and causes nothing but headaches for the police while the media eats the situation up. It's the funniest twist on a bank robbery film I've ever seen. Clever at every turn, with a guy who is really torn up inside doing what he was assigned to do. Also recommended with the same actor Welcome To Dongmakgol and Divine Weapon.
February 2, 2010
Piacevolissima commedia coreana, ricca di trovate divertenti e mai noiosa. Verso la fine perde un po' di mordente e questo impedisce il vero salto di qualità, ma nel complesso davvero un bel prodotto. Consigliato anche a chi non ama il cinema orientale!
½ April 30, 2009
It starts out a little slow. The first time I tried watching it, I got easily bored and uninterested (or maybe I was just tired.)

But once talks of their police training starts -which is the whole point of the movie anyway, it gets good and funny. Despite the fact that the robbery is only a simulation (or maybe because of it!) it was one heck of a crime!
March 19, 2009
has all the cliches of a bank heist movie, but with a funny twist to it.