Barnyard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barnyard Reviews

½ October 30, 2010
ive watched this before and i dont see whats so wrong with it other than people being haters =-\
½ October 12, 2010
Very funny and entertaining, I really liked this animated feature
½ October 8, 2010
A VERY FUN FAMILY MOVIE BUT I DIDNTLIKE IT THAT MUTCH
½ October 6, 2010
Visst, det är inte Toy Story 3-nivå, men inte heller Madagascar-nivå. En hyggligt kul och uppfinningsrik skapelse med fulsnygg figurdesign.
½ October 1, 2010
Gøy for barna, enda gøyere for de voksne :) Om modige, mandige, mannlige kyr (nei, ikke okser) og kjærlighet.
September 27, 2010
A funny movie about farm animals!!
½ September 26, 2010
barnyard was a little funny, but this movie sucks there is not one good part in that movie. Just wow and I was forced to watch this peace of garbage with my family if you want a good family movie get wall-e or the simpsons movie but this movie is just plain weird and stupid.
September 21, 2010
Male cows don't have udders.
September 7, 2010
so boring couldn't watch more than 5 mins.
September 6, 2010
really funny, and sad! its about a cow and his other barnyard friends that band together to save their farm from wolfs. i loved the part when all the animals got on the motorcycles.
August 27, 2010
Not a good kids movie, not a good movie in general. It was a basicall what Star Wars the clone wars is. A marketing tool to promote a show that isn't really that good at all. You can skip this one.
½ August 23, 2010
Cute movie! Family orientated, with of course a moral to the story.
August 21, 2010
An elderely vegan keeps a collection of anthropomorphic farm animals in his barnyard. Some are cannibalistic (the pig loves bacon) while others want to eat their friends (the vegetarian ferret wants to eat his chicken friends). The animals have meetings and massive raves, but spend most of their lives willingly and joyfully caging or containing themselves, and producing milk or eggs for human consumption. Some die of old age, and some willingly give themselves over as Thanksgiving dinner for humans.

The movie uses the Animal House metaphor to tell the animal monarchy morality tale of the Lion King. Male hyenas are replaced with male coyotes, a wise old mandrill is replaced with a wise old mule, and male lion patriarchs are replaced with transgendered pre-op "male cow" patriarchs who produce milk at leisure, drink milk in excess and have udders without ever getting pregnant. Being anthropomorphic, these transgendered bovines are capable of driving cars and motorbikes, performing complex fight moves to Tom Petty songs, standing on hind legs for extended periods and talking in convincingly male voices. [There are also "bulls" in this movie, and they also have udders and produce milk.]
August 21, 2010
saw the last 30 mins and I thought it was hilarious. Only bad thing was...WTF AT OTIS'S TEETS??!
August 19, 2010
Nickelodeon, will you stop making terrible movies? It's bad enough I had to deal with some of your earlier crap but THIS is unacceptable. I have no choice but to review this. This is the abomination of 2006 that dare calls itself................

Barnyard: The Original Party Animals.

One thing I must point out that the entire story of Barnyard is just a Lion King ripoff. Otis is the son of the head of the barn, his father dies being slaughtered by a bunch of coyotes, and it's up to Otis to save the rest of the barn. Oh god, where have I seen THAT before? How about something that's ORIGINAL, Nickelodeon? After all, it's called The ORIGINAL Party Animals, ISN'T IT?!

Also, nothing in this movie makes any sense! The biggest thing being that Otis-no. ALL THE MALE COWS IN THIS MOVIE HAVE UDDERS! How does this add up? If this was real, all men would have breasts! WTH?

And what's up with the jokes? Almost EVERY JOKE in this movie is intolerable! I didn't laugh at the movie's jokes. Not even a slight chuckle.

This movie is stupid! The worst movie of 06 is Barnyard! This should've been in RT's Top 100 Worst of the decade! I would put Barnyard in the #2 spot!
½ August 12, 2010
Snotted animation and achingly silly jokes end in nausea.
½ August 9, 2010
?See ya around. Get it? "Round"? You're fat.? Dag the Coyote ? David Koechner

While studios like PIXAR and DreamWorks try to contribute positively to the new CGI-Animated film craze with masterpieces like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Shrek and Madagascar; there are films out there that show just how lazy people can potentially be when it comes to making a film for children. Barnyard is one of those films. It has no effort put into it whatsoever, so predictably, it?s a very poorly made film. Watching this in the cinema with my family is one of the worst experiences I?ve ever had in my life: we all walked out feeling that we were ripped off as far as paying for the film was concerned. The funny thing is that this was before I was a film buff, so it was just my 13 year old mind making an impression about how terrible the film was. Watching it again as a film buff, and wondering if I had perhaps just not got a lot of the humour at a less intelligent age, I guessed that I would be able to look into the film and admire certain elements of it. I was wrong; DEAD WRONG!! Put simply, this film isn?t a film I can recommend to anyone at all, because it failed to deliver on both viewings of it.

Otis, a carefree cow that likes to party, enjoys singing, dancing and playing tricks on humans. Unlike his adoptive father, Ben, Otis doesn?t care about keeping the human traits he has secret. However, an attack on the chicken farm results in Ben dying, forcing Otis to take responsibility for the rest of the farm, and become a leader. As I say in most reviews of child?s animated films, this is a very basic plot. However, it?s been proven that it?s easy to take a very basic concept and expand upon it brilliantly. PIXAR proved that with Toy Story and A Bug?s Life. Barnyard however took the predictable route and decided not to tell a well-written or redeemable story... but instead make a dull and clich coming of age story, as well as giving us unfunny sight gags back to back. It becomes really uninteresting really fast. Remember, this was my impression as a child too; I was the specific target audience for this film, and I hated it. What does that tell you? The film is predictable, but just looking at the trailer for it, you can guess that. What annoyed me about the film, on both viewings, was how poor the dialogue was. Every line was either an exposition that lacked any subtlety, or a farm pun. You can?t think of a terrible farm pun that wasn?t used in this film. Though it was the dullness of the film that bored me as a child, the aspect that bothered me as a film buff was how uninteresting the characters were. Otis, our main protagonist, is selfish in the most unlikeable way. The whole film centres on his personal journey, about how he grows to mature from being the selfish child that thinks about nothing but fun and himself, to the responsible individual that balances the safety of his friends with his own personal desires. It doesn?t feel genuine; the 2 variations of the character don?t feel like the same. It feels like the character was wrote by 2 different teams of writers, but the film decided to put them together in 1 film to teach a moral. His change in attitude is never explained well. He goes through the pain of losing a loved-one, but that is really the only thing about his life you can sympathise at all with. The fact that we, as an audience, are supposed to root for this stupid character, and meant to feel happy for him disgusted me. That?s not to say that I liked the villain, the coyote that killed Ben. The coyotes at least had a believable and more reasonable story; they?re predators, just like the creatures are in real life, and don?t do the terrible things they do personally.

Kevin James voices the lead character, Otis. While James does a decent job at playing the selfish character, my problem is that the character is so poorly written that regardless the actor you get to play him, he?s still going to be a terrible character. Courtney Cox plays the love interest of Otis, Daisy. What baffles me is that they paid so much to get Courtney Cox to provide the voice for such a small role. This film came out 2 years after Friends ended, and combined with her appearances in the Scream trilogy, Cox remained a big-name star. Paying so much for Cox in this film was a big mistake. The 2 saving graces to this film were both Voice Actors: Danny Glover and Sam Elliott. While I feel sorry for them both being in this film, I will sadly admit that they are rightly cast for their parts. Their voices fit the characters well, but I myself was too distracted by how saddening it was to see 2 talented actors wasted so terribly.

When it comes to animated films, some can get past their weak plots and lack of quality in other areas if it has brilliant animation. The Final Fantasy films are proof of that in my opinion. Barnyard?s animation is so basic and bland, that it?s completely forgettable. The character models are mediocre and the colours are stock.

This is one of the worst animated films ever. Say what you want about Disney?s sequels to their big hits; they?re a million times more entertaining than this. I just pray that this is the last film about these characters that I ever have to hear about. Seriously, even if you?ve got kids, don?t watch Barnyard.

Andrew?s rating: 0.5 out of 10
Kyle F.
July 28, 2010
Full of depth, emotion and hilarious jokes, barnyard is like a Disney film except for funnier and more moving. And better. Nice little side twists, and good animation as well.
July 25, 2010
The spinoff series is actually a lot better. This film is neither funny nor original.
½ July 23, 2010
Walked out of the theater.