Baron Blood (Gli Orrori del Castello di Norimberga) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Baron Blood (Gli Orrori del Castello di Norimberga) Reviews

½ September 20, 2016
I really enjoyed this..Perfect for a stormy night..!
August 20, 2015
Italian 'Eurogothic' horror from 1972 by director Mario Bava.
I say Italian the film is supposedly set in some Austrian castle.
Two students including a scantily clad 1970s Elke Sommer bring back to life a 16th Century Baron nicknamed Baron Blood for his bloodthirsty activities.
After reawakening he is soon back up to his murderous and rather gruesome spree.
Director Bava shot the film in a colourful manner for a horror film.
Rather poor film if I'm being honest. Probably one for Bava fans.
The print I watched was in good Blu Ray condition and as I alluded to earlier colourful.
June 12, 2015
A much under rated film that is less a Bava classic and more a gory Hammer Horror standard. Where some have described the plot as obvious or plodding I have always found it brooding and still remember how scared I was when I first saw BB as a nine year old. There are screams, there is gore, there is wonderful Gothic architecture and the lighting is muted to the point of being annoying. In other words it's a perfect movie to watch on a wet winter's night when there are strange noises outside and the hairs on the back of your neck are starting to prickle..
½ May 24, 2015
Death awaits.

Peter heads back to the home of his family. His family history includes an evil Baron who tortured and mutilated people until the people finally fought back and brutally killed him. There are rumors the Baron's ghost still haunts the mansion. When Peter's actions accidentally release the ghost, he compounds the mistake by destroying the manuscript to stop the ghost. Will Peter survive his family research?

"Do you believe it was the Baron?"
"I believe it could have been."

Mario Bava, director of Black Sunday, A Bay of Blood, The Evil Eye, Hercules in the Underworld, 5 Dolls for an August Moon, Planet of the Vampires, and Black Sabbath, delivers Baron Blood. The storyline for this picture is classic 70s horror with some eerie and interesting horror sequences. The cast delivers average performances and includes Joseph Cotton, Elke Sommer, and Massimo Girotti.

"It was a foolish thing you did."

I came across the Mario Bava collection on Netflix and decided to give this a viewing. I will say that it was entertaining and fun to watch unfold. It would fit perfectly in the grindhouse/drive-in genre. This isn't a classic, but worth viewing for fans of the horror genre from this era.

"Mortals are such fools."

Grade: C
November 9, 2014
One of the lesser Bava movies, although Elke is a delight to look at and Cotten does a grand job of chewing up the scenery.
September 14, 2014
Definitely not one of Mario Bavas best films. I would only recommend Baron Blood to his hardcore fans.
April 19, 2014
Didn't really enjoy this. Silly plot (even past what you'd expect). Unconvincing.
March 26, 2014
The best thing about this film is undoubtedly the style and atmosphere that Bava gives it. The film looks absolutely stunning and the locations used work brilliantly within the context of the plot. The castle at the centre of the film makes for a great place to set a Gothic horror movie and locations such as the torture chamber really help to give the film a truly horrific style. The gore is not one of the main features of this movie, but there's still some on display and the killings are generally very good - seeing the Baron try out his torture devices on various unlucky victims is a lot of fun. With the plot being so simple, the film isn't always totally engaging, but the atmosphere is always enough to keep the film focused. The Baron himself is a ghastly creation and his first appearance is a major highlight. The acting isn't helped by some bad dubbing, but cult stars Elke Sommer and Joseph Cotten deliver good performances. The ending is predictable like the majority of the film but it's good enough and overall I can certainly recommend this film to people who value style over substance and appreciate a good Gothic horror movie
½ May 31, 2013
Joseph Cotten and Elke Sommer star in this effective, atmospheric gothic horror from Bava. The story is quite unoriginal, but there are some memorable scares and a very dodgy euro theme tune.
½ May 14, 2013
59%
"I would not play with the occult, if I were you"-Dr Karl Hummel (Massimo Girotti)
Slow, found myself nodding off there, once. And it doesn't pick up until the third act. The pace wasn't my biggest peeve though, I want to know why the 'entity' takes part in the auction of the castle and estate. Is it because, with deed in hand, he can haunt the grounds without worrying about legal action, being taken against him? And what the hell was a coke cola machine doing in a castle full of antiques?
May 10, 2013
"Baron Blood" es supuestamente una cinta de horror pero lo que mas asusta es el monumental grado de estupidez de sus personajes. Peter, unico descendiente de un Baron asesino (condenado a sufrir eternamente por una bruja) decide despertarlo sin mayor motivo que mera curiosidad. La encargada en restaurar el castillo del Baron, Eva, grita histericamente por la mayor parte de la pelicula (aun cuando no debería) y otros personajes tienen momentos inexplicables (como los poderes sobrenaturales de una niña).
"Baron Blood" es una cinta que no ofrece absolutamente nada. Es una cinta muy pobre en todos los sentidos, que ni siquiera provee de escenas gore para divertirnos. Es un bodrio.
½ March 7, 2013
Yes, slightly above average horror movie, I agree. The main characters are very typical of horror movies, mocking traditions and superstitions, to find themselves prey to the baron blood, an old ancestor of one of them. The film doesn't do much with the story, and the gore isn't very explicit, but it's pretty good. Not a bad movie at all, Bava fans will enjoy it.
November 30, 2012
Minor but enjoyable Bava outing suffers from a tired script. The director's trademark visuals ensure ample atmosphere, and the cast is in good form. Entertaining.
November 11, 2012
As older horror films go, it's passable. The atmosphere and cinematography are top-notch.
½ June 14, 2012
Elke Sommer does a great deal of screaming in this fun horror from maestro Bava. Nice visuals as you would expect from Bava. Not his best film but worth seeing none the less.
RCCLBC
½ September 20, 2011
Exactly what I wanted it to be, chessy, campy fun.
Yeah there are plot holes...yeah the acting is often over the top...yeah the blood looks like red latex paint...but it's 1970's Italian horror!
Just sit back and enjoy.
½ May 17, 2011
A truly miserable plot is saved by the styish direction of Bava, and the largely credible performance by Joseph. A few really atmospheric set piecs elevate the film, but it's roots- at heart a basic modern gothic monster movie, provide plenty of charm.
April 24, 2011
Okay, now this is the kinda Bava film I'm accustomed to watching!

Awesome Gothic settings, crumbling castles and a decent amount of suspense easily elevate this one to the top of any re-watch list.

Well worth a look.
½ April 13, 2011
Not one of Mario Bava's best. It's as stylish as you'd expect from a Bava gothic horror film, but burdened by an uninspired script. Reasonably entertaining for fans of Italian horror, but a far cry from Bava's masterpieces.
½ January 30, 2011
Good old horror movie. Elke Sommer must be the best screamer of her time.