Basil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Basil Reviews

½ January 28, 2016
Even if you are in bed with a heavy case of nostalgia for the late 90's, do not watch this one. Cheap, slow, almost fake. Awful acting from rather talented actors. Jared Leto offers his most Barbie doll-like expressions, while Claire Forlani tries to fool the audience acting as a sensual man eater, she fails miserably. Not to mention the score seems to be taken from a sunday afternoon flick.
May 14, 2015
This was like a high school play which probably would have been better written.
½ July 18, 2012
much tragedy.. :( but at least it wasn't a totally sad ending..
realistic though.. show how stupid decisions can completely change people's lives.. people grow old, mature, and not always the way it could had been or they've expected.. but people go on living, finding happiness wherever they can.. that's life.
½ June 8, 2012
This film has such an interesting, dark and vengeful storyline, and it's such a shame the acting lets it down, to the point where Jared Leto's English accent is too hilarious to handle. It's enjoyable for it's quaint charm, but it isn't worth watching unless you have a thing for one of the actors...
½ May 20, 2012
Somewhat enjoyable, but the characters are one-dimensional, driven by a single, usually class-based motivation. No real explanations why Basil & his brother give up their lives for women they don't really know; why Julia loves Christian. . . Leto is eye-candy.
January 6, 2012
One of my least favorite Jared Leto movies. He was ok in it though his British accent wasn't too believable. The best parts were Jared saying "Well what?" and Christian Slater seeing his "ugly" face and jumping off the nearest cliff. not the best...
September 4, 2011
Typical good guy; always running after the bad elements. All in all the show was good.
June 19, 2011
I have a Thing for Victorian Themed Movies, this one has a few Twists that makes it quite enjoyable.
April 1, 2011
This film is a sad and pathetic assault on ones intelligence. It is an endless parade of improbable and unlikely events strung together in the form, if not substance, of a narrative. Here is an example of the level of thought put into this movie: At one point young Basil scares a little girl by using cellophane tape to distort his facial features. We have all done it. You just tape your nose to one side and you eyelids in extreme angles and you are good to go. There is just one problem. Cellophane Tape was invented by Dick Drew in 1930 and not during Victorian times. This movie belongs to the same dubious subset of films as Endless Love starring Brooke Shields. If you enjoyed that one then queue this up and prepare for a feast.
February 12, 2011
go to the shit man!! or woman
January 5, 2011
This film does no justice in respect to the acting abilities of Jared Leto or Christian Slater.
½ November 20, 2010
A bit weak in places but a decent effort from Slater and Leto on what is a bit of a B story.
½ October 16, 2010
Horrible. The only redeeming factor was how hot Jared Leto was.
September 5, 2010
i found the story stupid
March 15, 2010
You actually SEE that it's an old movie but the story was quite interesting and the acting was convincing by every single person. Still the action is being held back too much. The director didn't hold on to the fact that Basil is extremely obsessed with that women and sadly misses out on opportunities to make us feel this distraced and helpless like Basil.
August 29, 2009
Okay, maybe not the very best novel to film adaptation ever made, but it has a lot of good things. For starters, the cast is really good, but that makes me wonder if this film was "cursed", because what happened to the stars of it? Jared Leto is more focused on his musical career now, and here you can see the future he had as an actor. Whatever happened to Christian Slater is very well known already, and as for Claire Forlani... well, she should fire her agent. I remember back in 1998 when Meet Joe Black came out she was superb, and she even made it to the cover of Vanity Fair's Hollywood issue, featuring promising stars like Tobey Maguire, Cate Blanchett, Joaquin Phoenix and Natalie Portman among others. I remember most men I know, including myself, being amazed by her beauty and even mentioning that she was the "perfect woman"; beautiful, intelligent, feminine, delicate, strong, cultured... so, where is she? Terrible films followed, and I remember seeing her in CSI:NY... what a pity. She deserves much better than that. So, back to the film: it is not the film of the century, but the acting is good, the scenery is great to the senses, and yes, it lacks many things, but those are compensated by the acting and the recreation of the period. Another "lost film" that could have been something else.
½ July 23, 2009
I watched this because I've always admired Jared Leto, but wasn't sure what to expect. It turned out to be a really decent story worth watching, though a bit slow-moving and a little soap-operaish.
½ March 29, 2009
Where in the middle of the line theres a twist thats givesa different direction to the whole movie, and here kinda worked but still maybe is the lack of chemistry between the leadings or the history is just not strong enough to emote the watcher.
March 23, 2009
the story semmed thin, the actor wasn't really convincing..but Jared Leto is absolutely gorgeous so yeh..and there was one scene I really liked.