Baskin Reviews

• Apr 25, 2020

I consider myself a pretty big fan of horror movies and thrillers. At this point, I've drained the majority of all streaming services of their decent horror movie supply, so I thought I'd branch out. I searched all over Hulu and eventually found Baskin. I read the short description and my interest was piqued. I checked Rotten Tomatoes to see if it was worth the watch, and to my astonishment, this film had almost 80% - Certified Fresh. Whelp, here we are now. I literally made a Rotten Tomatoes account just to review this movie. Baskin is 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back, but here I am hoping my review will dissuade at least one other horror movie enthusiast from ever picking this trash up. The plot is terrible, the writing is terrible, the acting is mostly terrible with some okay moments. The place where this movie truly shines is in the makeup, but that's no way a few good makeup artists could ever save this steaming pile. Avoid this like the plague.

• Mar 16, 2020

It works well as horror, but not so much as a film. I like the music by the way.

• Dec 30, 2019

Weird bizarre fucked up gory nonsense. I still have no idea what was going on. Still, an effective horror.

• Aug 19, 2019

Well, the final scene is one of the most impressive ones in horror ever and will burn into your memory. This movie should be 30 minutes shorter, though.

• Apr 08, 2019

Foreign horror movies can be a special kind of awesome. Take, for example, Turkish writer/director Can Evrenol's [Housewife (2017)] debut feature-length foray into insanity, Baskin. Not only do you get to watch a fun horror movie, but you also get a 97 minute peek into what life is like in another culture; listen to another language, see the foods they eat, hear the jokes they tell, and get a feeling for what freaks them out. Apparently, in Turkey they're freaked out by animalistic cultists, weird demonic births, and frogs. Admittedly, I didn't quite get the frogs thing, but I was right there with them on the other two. Global understanding through shared "Oh, my God, what the hell is that?!" experiences. I did eight seconds' worth of research and determined that the Turkish word baskin in English means "a violent downwards blow" in certain contexts and "raid" or "incursion" in others and that certainly fits with the main storyline here. While the film deftly flits from past to present and back again, the main focus is on a squad of policemen. It's late at night and they've been enjoying a post-shift meal at a restaurant. Talkative Yavuz [Muharrem Bayrak] regales his mates with stories, second-in-command Apo [Fatih Dokgoz] gives him crap in a good-natured way, and the young rookie, Arda [Gorkem Kasal], takes it all in. Just happy to be there. Sharing in the camaraderie while maintaining a quiet distance is the boss, Remzi [Ergun Kuyucu; Taken 2 (2012)]. Once they're on their way home -- and after a great scene of the guys singing along with the radio -- Apo receives a call from HQ. Another unit is requesting backup in the nearby village of Inceagac. A couple of the officers have heard stories of the place. "Nasty stories" of odd shrines and the like. They don't get a chance to go into detail and the rest of the group brushes off the idea as nothing more than superstition until they arrive and find one of the officers from the unit who'd requested backup... incoherent, repeatedly banging his head against a wall, and sobbing. Things get less and less rosy from there. If you noticed that this synopsis was quicker than some, you've just hit on Baskinâ~s main weakness: style over substance. The whole thing reminded me of something you might have found in Clive Barker's early splatterpunk collection, Books of Blood. Fantastic idea, spot-on execution, just don't dig too deep because there's nothing under all the frogs and viscera. Honestly, though, that was the point of Barker's short story collections and I choose to believe that's the point of this film. In other words, who cares? Baskin is an artistic, goreful mindfuck, if you'll pardon my French. Evrenol's use of lighting and color -- especially for a new director -- ranks right up there with some of the best producers of horror and he throws in some interesting transitions between shots for good measure. The practical effects are well done to the point of occasionally being uncomfortable to watch and the actors do a great job with what they're given. Especially first-timer Mehmet Cerrahoglu who plays the lead cultist. Much like Michael Berryman of The Hills Have Eyes (1977) fame, Mehmet is able to combine his rare physical condition with good ol' fashioned intensity to wonderfully bring a very creepy character to life on the big screen. The pacing of Baskin does slow down in the third act. Literally. As in, at one point the viewer is subjected to a long segment in slow motion. I would have preferred a quicker pace, even though I suspect it was done on purpose. Overall, however, this movie is a stabby, writhing treat and an impressive showing as the director's first feature-length film. Turn the lights down low, make sure your subtitles are on, and settle in for some Turkish craziness. Robert Zilbauer https://scariesthings.com

• Mar 07, 2019

Really well shot, with an oppressive atmosphere and some beautifully grotesque imagery. Builds to a delicious orgy of gore, twisting throughout, descending to a thought-provokingly hellish final scene. Exquisite, macabre and entertainingly extreme horror filmmaking.

• Oct 17, 2018

OK story, great visuals

OK story, great visuals

• Oct 09, 2018

Please don't ruin this by remaking this in america. This movie was perfect mix of creepy scary and gory. there are a few meh moments but all in all great.

• Oct 06, 2018

the entire movie has subtitles. I stopped watching. I can't watch a horror while trying to read what everyone is saying

• Jul 29, 2018

Well, that was one of those "what was all that about?" films. Admire the bonkersness, but ummm, well anyway moving on...