Basmati Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Basmati Blues Reviews

April 14, 2018
Very predictable and cheesy. Would be good for 12 years and under.
½ April 10, 2018
Bad... very bad movie :(
½ February 19, 2018
Funny, charming, and sparked with a lovely onscreen chemistry between Brie Larson and Utkarsh Ambudkar (he's one to keep an eye on).
Critics decry that there is not enough originality in film and then a film like Basmati Blues comes along-a film like no other-and then most of the critics attack it for being different.
What a breath of fresh air. The cinematography is gorgeous, the singing is great, the script is hilarious.
and so the critics show themselves for the hypocrites most of them are.
½ February 13, 2018
Destined to be a cult classic,Basmati Blues is a whimsical and wonderful musical with a global twist, worth seeing on the big screen as it's beautifully shot and absolutely transporting.
February 12, 2018
I really enjoyed this movie. I love romantic comedies and this was a nice date night movie. I really liked the storyline and would definitely recommend it!!
February 11, 2018
Basmati Blues is a smart, passionate, whimsically avant-garde film made by a committed group of people who clearly love movies. Maybe the negative reviewers took the whole thing too literally, and missed the off-beat humor and the cultural references and the joy and subtlety of the acting? Basmati Blues deals with a timely, serious subject but never takes itself too seriously. A great achievement, and a great date movie.
February 11, 2018
So loved this charming movie!
February 11, 2018
Scott Bakula and Donald Sutherland singing and dancing!!! What more could you want? It is also beautifully shot! and makes me crave chai.
February 11, 2018
Fun, charming and entertaining! A unique and memorable movie with a great cast and beautiful music.
February 11, 2018
This film reminded me of the great backstage musicals of the 1930s in the way it rests on the superb and understated comedic ensemble acting of the Indian cast. The script is splendidly playful, with scads of throw away gems of the kind usually found in a cult film like Buckaroo Banzai. (Another "BB" film). Utkarsh Ambudkar is endlessly expressive, and his and Larson's commitment to the material comprise the key to enjoying this weird and lovely film. Meet them where they are and don't worry so much about what a Hollywood-Bollywood musical about the encroachment of agribusiness on a traditional culture under siege from rapacious global capital enabled by cheery American optimism is "supposed" to be like.
February 11, 2018
Gorgeous and fun and Brie Larson can sing!
½ February 11, 2018
This was a light positive feel-good romantic comedy with beautiful scenery. It makes India look beautiful and makes its people look so decent and friendly. Loved the important storyline! Filmed with such quality scenes, light entertainment ideal for a date night and for families also. Could feel the connection of the heart in this movie and it made me laugh laugh out loud several times. Good light entertainment. Some racist critics tried to attack it because of a white actress because they think it's politically correct to attack whites but we are all Americans and there's only one race in America and that's the human race! So tired of racists calling other people racists! Love their honest gutsy c88omedy in such a harsh politically correct bullyish atmosphere these days. BRAVO! DON'T MISS THIS ONE!
February 11, 2018
I loved every second of this movie! It is romantic, visually stunning, complex, and life-affirming. I cannot imagine what kind of sourpuss can't sit in a theatre and relax enough to soak up some top-notch feel-good storytelling and splendor! If a smart, accomplished, brave female lead character isn't in your wheelhouse, sorry forr YOUR loss! Brie Larson is a courageous and talented actor, and the chemistry between the leads (and the whole cast really)
February 11, 2018
Great movie. It was like a Shakespearean comedy - with music. Alison Brie and Donald Southerland were great. It reminded me a little of La La Land (beautifully shot with stunning colors and catchy music) but it is smarter and satirical. I recommend it.
February 11, 2018
History is chock-full of examples of well-meaning American technocrats going to other countries to "help"... and in the process helping to destroy that country's culture and economy.
Here is a film that tackles that phenomenon head-on, but does so within the frothy and mirthful form of a rom-com musical. The results, bubbling with references to Kurt Vonnegut, Arundhati Roy, and Bollywood -- defy cookie-cutter expectations of the genre.
The entire Indian and American cast is all-in. In a just world this film would launch Utkarsh Ambudkar as a top Hollywood comic leading man. And in a just world, American technocrats would learn the lesson that it is perhaps better to simply embrace a foreign culture than to try to "save" it.
February 10, 2018
Colourful, uplifting, fun, musical loveliness with a message... a unique film!!!
February 10, 2018
A lot of heart went into this film which the whole family enjoyed. And the music was great too.
February 10, 2018
Beautiful, delightfully poignant, and so refreshing.
February 10, 2018
One of the most poignant, entertaining, and warm films I've seen in a very long time. This is one of the better independent films I've seen in a long time.
February 10, 2018
Went to the premiere last night! It's cute, funny and full of heart.