Basquiat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Basquiat Reviews

July 4, 2013
A great depiction of the rise of artist as a commodity under Warhol's influence. Fun times! Loved his agent, Annina's sales pitch, "This is the true voice of the gutter" Bowie was priceless as Warhol.
May 24, 2013
Pretty good film. I love how there are maybe 7 of the greatest bad guy actors in this and they all play endearing characters. Some very tiny roles go to great actors in this film as well. Blink and you'll miss Sam Rockwell.
March 15, 2013
Omgawwwwd awesome! a bit slow in parts but bowie is amazing Ima fan!
February 18, 2013
Just not my kind of movie
½ January 26, 2013
Definitely worth seeing.
½ January 9, 2013
Sorry but this is another one that I can't stand. While it has the best intentions to bring the story and scene of the young graffiti artist, it just comes off as too much cheese pretension. There is an artificial tone that I didn't dig about this movie even though it has a great cast. While I do like Jeffrey Wright in other movies, I just didn't care for him here and he spent a lot of time looking around googly eyed and acting faux spaced out. Bowie is good as Andy Warhol. I tried to give this a few more chances but just cant enjoy it
January 1, 2013
I was introduced to an artist I'd never heard of before and got to see David Bowie play one of my favorite artists: Andy Warhol. Great film.
½ October 24, 2012
David Bowie as Warhol. nothing can be more perfect
October 19, 2012
Basically a surprisingly old fashioned biopic - late 1930s, 1940s style.....however DAVID BOWIE's UTTERLY DELIGHTFUL, INDEED MESMERIZING PERFORMANCE As Andy Warhol adds something really special to the every scene he was in I eagerly awaited EVERY WORD that Bowie's Warhol had to say......a truly amazing and fascinating performance - a real treat !!...for this reason I am giving the film two stars instead of just one.
October 6, 2012
This film is ridiculous, with the exception of the scene recalling the tale of the Prince whom Basquiat in some ways resembles. Schnabel seems less impelled to recall Basquiat the artist as much as he seems to want to use Basquiat as his canvas, turning a brilliant artist and an interesting mind into a caricature for Schnabel's own self-glorification. This movie is not about Jean-Michel, it's about Schnabel.
September 15, 2012
Sad but comprehensive movie with a great crew of actors. Wright, as usual, brought Basquiat to life with his rich portrayal of the tormented artist.
½ September 14, 2012
What a cast, but what a let down. So much potential that just kind of died after Andy Warhol died. I was happy to learn about the artist, but the way things were told was simplistic and childish in the end when reconciliation was not to be had. Is that really what a drug overdoes does? It was odd seeing Wright in this role. I expected him to get all Oval Office on me.
½ July 11, 2012
Modern artist Jean-Michel Basquiat rises to fame with the help of Andy Warhol.
This film bolsters its indie kudos by including cameos from about every actor on the indie scene at the time, including Christopher Walken, Tatum O'Neal, Courtney Love, and Parker Posey. However, though the names in the cast are as good as they get, the film is not. There are so many unanswered questions, like what is it that makes Basquiat's art unique. We see many people praising his work, but the work doesn't speak for itself, like Jackson Pollock for example, and there aren't any moments that allow us to see what cultural or artistic vein Basquiat has tapped into. Thus, his insouciance toward the artistic process reminds me of Thierry Guetta from Exit through the Gift Shop, who emerges from that film looking like a first-class douche. Also, what could a beautiful, seemingly intelligent woman like Gina see in Basquiat? Their courtship and the end of their relationships are glossed over, and it seems like the brilliant Claire Forlani is under-used simply to fill the role of the supportive girlfriend that all films like this are required to have.
David Bowie's performance as Andy Warhol is a tired caricature; I longed to see the musician tapped out by Guy Pearce -- let a real actor take the part.
Overall, I liked the beginning, the first ten minutes or so, but the rest of the film leaves me knowing nothing new about Basquiat or why I should care.
Post-Script: the design of the Diet Pepsi can in the film didn't come out until after the film's events took place.
June 5, 2012
not sure if this said anything other then "Drugs are stupid and celebs need a group movie once every five years for no apparent reason."
May 13, 2012
"Basquiat" is a film comprised of a great cast and great performances, but neither made me feel connected to the characters. Even when the film ended, I remained distant. I can't even recall much of what I watched. Now, I'm sure that the life of the celebrated artist Jean Michel Basquiat was an interesting one; it just deserved to be made into a better film than this.
May 13, 2012
If I could give SIX stars I would! A must see if you are open minded into the world of an true artist, and David Bowie is absolutely hilarious with his deadpan delivery of Andy Warhol's crazy dialogue and kooky mannerisms. Plus it has Walken in it! I don't care what anyone else said I really liked this.
May 4, 2012
Very interesting movie about modern art. Now recognize as Fine art.
April 30, 2012
"you can never explain to one who uses gods gift to enslave that you have used gods gift to be free"
(need to watch this movie again)
½ April 14, 2012
Stays with you far afterwards.