Bastard out of Carolina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bastard out of Carolina Reviews

May 29, 2008
This movie put a rage in me like no other! I couldn't even get past the first rape scene before I turned it off..
May 25, 2008
One of the best movies ever made!!
May 18, 2008
Good Movie i saw the movie a few times when it was on tv then just read the book . Both really good
½ May 16, 2008
Very sad and disturbing, but very well acted. Jena Malone stole the show with her amazing performance! Certainly not a film I would watch again, but it is just one of those films that needed to be be made as a voice for all abused children.
May 14, 2008
this movie is so good
May 11, 2008
Anjelica Huston is the director and this is her first attempt at directing a feature length movie. The results are stunning. It is altogether a flawless movie, with an excellent script based on the Dorothy Allison novel. Ron Eldard is excellent in his depiction Glen, expertly capturing the character's pathetic childishness behind those icy blue eyes. Eldard often seems to play characters with a dark side and this role plays to his strengths, even if his southern accent slips from time to time. His scenes of violence with Bone are harrowing to watch and you can't help but feel uncomfortable, given the age of Jena Malone at the time. Special mention must go to Jena Malone for her sophisticated, passionate portrayal of Anney's young daughter, 'Bone'. Bone carries the weight of her mother's world on her shoulders. This is her first major role to speak of and she carries the movie effortlessly.
April 17, 2008
VERY disturbing and really hard to watch sometimes but it really shows child abuse for what it really is..brutal and unecessary pain..although I think the film was a little too brutal with the rape scene
½ April 12, 2008
I watched this one time and can't watch it again....just because it was so heartbreaking it is a good movie....it's about a little girl who's mother takes in an a busive man for a boyfriend...and he end ups abusing her older daughter.
April 6, 2008
this is an amazing movie. it was an original film on showtime back in the mid 90's.
a must see
February 26, 2008
This is a sad movie. I was called a bastard when i was born because my parents weren't married when i was born. This is a movie that is close to my life, except i didnt have it as bad as bone did.
February 26, 2008
i thought it was sad
½ February 24, 2008
WOW!!! This movie was awesome and extremely sad!!
February 24, 2008
A very touching move! Touches at your heart and soul:)
February 19, 2008
Best part is the song. Thats a funny scene where jena malone and her aunt are singing to the gospel music.
February 9, 2008
If I could I would give this a thousand stars.
January 24, 2008
hard to watch, but very good.
½ January 22, 2008
Very hard to watch - Jena Malone is really brilliant in this film.
January 20, 2008
I was told to watch this movie before I got my job at a daycare. Touching, disturbing and wonderful all at the same time.
January 18, 2008
I want to see it again. I like it, but it's so sad to see how people could mistreat others like that. It's hard to watch, but that's life.
½ January 15, 2008
the most disturbing movie i've ever seen. if i could go lower than half a star...