Bastard out of Carolina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bastard out of Carolina Reviews

June 22, 2007
i love this movie it is like so sad
June 14, 2007
The Boys of St. Vincent shows the evils of child abuse from a boy's perspective. Bastard Out of Carolina shows it from a girl's perspective. Both films were controversial when they were first made, both are necessarily difficult to sit through, and both are effective in their portrayals of the victims and of the abusers.

So often with this kind of subject matter, the temptation is to show the impact it can have on the child, but in Carolina, we also get a strong sense of the volatile adults too. Does the temperamental Glen Waddell (a riveting Ron Eldard) merely lose control at key moments, or is he acutely aware of his actions at all times? How has his upbringing impacted the way he treats his new wife Anney (Jennifer Jason Leigh), or her daughter Bone (Jena Malone)? Can we trust and hope that things will get better? Where can this family turn to fix the problem? How have they tried?

As the young Bone, the film is a showcase for young actress Malone. Whether she's trying to hide her injuries from others or staring off in the distance praying her life will improve, her intensity provides a strong foundation for much of the movie's grit. Glenne Headly as the frail Aunt Ruth, Christina Ricci as the role model Dee Dee and Lyle Lovett as Wade are well-suited to their supporting parts.

Director Anjelica Huston builds moments of fear and tension in such a way that, when the abuse does take place, we feel a seething anger at Glen for what he does to Bone; we are momentarily privy to the seething anger he himself feels. It's an unnerving kind of osmosis, and Huston doesn't pull back on exposing the graphic violence that is required to understand how these situations have developed and will sadly continue to transpire.

What Bastard Out of Carolina intimately understands is that abuse often comes masked in the illusion that things will change or get better. The promises that are made and then broken can cause deeper trauma and unrest than the abuse itself, because it is a false hope. Dysfunctional relationships are cyclical, returning right back at the start. And the touching closing scene of this film illustrates this kind of pattern very delicately.
June 14, 2007
this was a really tragic, sad movie but it was very good. i love the lil girl in this movie. she is such a great actress.
June 13, 2007
I love this movie!!! it is so sad what happened to bone and all the shity she had to put uo wit
June 13, 2007
Truly a heartbreaking story. Daddy Glen is an absolute monster, and at the same time he's so HUMAN, and there are times when he seems to nice and good. He really could be the guy next door. And poor Bone. The mother, too, she's torn between her daughter and the man she's convinced she loves. And in the meantime, nobody pays much attention until it gets really bad.
June 12, 2007
Great Movie, VERY SAD!!! definately have some kleenex nearby while watching this
½ June 12, 2007
Nice made-for-TV movie about family values and the things that matter most in life. Watch it.
½ June 10, 2007
Sad story, and Anne the ma should b ashamed of herself. But Bone took care of herself. Every1 who plans on having kids should watch this just 2 know how NOT 2 act.
June 9, 2007
Haven't seen this, but basically, they are all bastards and can go fuck themselves. Five stars for the title on this one.
June 9, 2007
This is a great movie with amazing acting. Jena Malone is great!
June 8, 2007
This movie is heartbreaking and will definitely make you cry.
June 8, 2007
i love this movie. i hate the man that beats the child but i just cant believe the mom still going to stay with him. so it is like she is chosing the man over her on daughter
June 8, 2007
Denne filmen provoserte meg noe sinnsykt!!! Film for t°ffe sjeler.. se den!!
June 7, 2007
One of my favorite movies that almost no one knows about. So honest and great acting!
June 7, 2007
THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE CUZ I WAS IN IT
½ June 6, 2007
I looove this movie! is definately inspirational
½ June 6, 2007
great but so upsetting.
June 4, 2007
A very heartbreaking tale.
June 3, 2007
This movie is fuckin' sick.I am sorry i ever watched it.
June 1, 2007
This movie breaks my heart and makes me wanna beat the hell out of someone, but I still love it cuz it's an amazing movie.