Bastard out of Carolina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bastard out of Carolina Reviews

½ March 23, 2015
I was hoping for a more light-hearted film with themes of child abuse but instead, it just wallows in sentimentalism. The girl and her curious sister both undergo adversities. But I also didn't like the violence this film depicts.

Also, I think that the actress that played Bones is a little too young to play a 12-year-old as she was about 10 at the time. But I do think she did good in the role.

There's not much memorable characters here, the father keeps remanding his daughters to call him daddy. Though, I can relate to him and his desire to beat little girls. The mother is doting of her husband. Bone is a clichéd and not very compelling character, letting her father hit her instead of running away in the bathroom!!! Not even anybody else does much to help.

There were some rushed scenes and the characters, I don't think were very convincing. It was just too unnecessarily violent and sick. I know that it was trying to send out a message that children are getting treated like this, but still, for the director to show these type of scenes and have the film be so sick that it makes me go "What the frack?" several times, I couldn't get into it.
February 24, 2014
The performances are outstanding.
December 8, 2013
Must see movie Very touching Malone is wow
August 3, 2013
im trying to watch the movie!!! dosent work!!!!
April 13, 2013
A hard-hitting, touching story - its difficult to watch the trauma but it is must watch.
½ February 18, 2013
WOW!!! This movie was awesome and extremely sad!!
½ January 27, 2013
This movie made me angry, made me cry, and love it at the same time. I hope nothing like this will happen again to anybody.
½ December 5, 2012
Haven't read the book but I feel that this is not a good adaptation & the film feels rushed, If you're planning to see this be prepared for its difficult subject matter & some really disturbing scenes
November 19, 2012
good movie but god depressing
October 29, 2012
This is such a good movie. Hard to watch at times but well worth it.
½ September 10, 2012
Brutal but well acted.
½ September 3, 2012
This movie is completely fucked and deeply disturbing; it rocked me to the core and remains the only movie ever to do so.
September 1, 2012
Emotionally gut wrenching portrayal of a little girls physical and sexual abuse at the hands of her stepfather in 1950s South.
August 21, 2012
This is a movie that I have been wanting to see for a while..
August 8, 2012
every mother needs 2 watch this movie. every woman, girl. you'll never forget this 1.
August 4, 2012
Dangerously good performance by Ron Eldard - a performance that could have hurt his career, if his career had ever taken off.

Either way, 'Daddy Glen' steals most of the scenes.
½ July 29, 2012
You can't solve everything with a shotgun.

A poor South Carolina mother has two little girls. Her husband was killed in an unfortunate traffic accident and she now works hard as a waitress. While working as a waitress her brother introduces her to a gentleman from the factory that seems perfect. He cares about the wellbeing of the girls and deeply loves the mother; however, after they are married and he struggles to make enough money to get by he snaps.

"When are you going to do something to make your daddy proud? I can tell you when. Never."

Anjelica Huston, director of Agnes Brown and Riding the Bus with My Sister, delivers Bastard out of Carolina in her directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is very compelling. The characters are perfectly presented and the cast delivers excellent performances. The cast includes Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Rooker, Ron Eldard, Christina Ricci, Lyle Lovett, Jena Malone, and Glenne Headley.

"Someone has to love her enough to care how she turns out."

I have begun watching Michael Rooker pictures I haven't seen and decided to start this journey by watching this film. I thought the acting was good and felt that numerous scenes were intense and well delivered. Jennifer Jason Leigh was excellent in the lead role and Rooker was an fabtastic side character that was easy to root for. I strongly recommend seeing this movie.

"He told me he wouldn't touch me if I took a bath in whiskey and put a paper bag over my head."

Grade: A-/A
May 14, 2012
Sad movie. Really good.
May 8, 2012
Disturbing, heartbreaking... It left me wondering why we are called human.
½ April 13, 2012
There should have been revenge on that low-life son of a bitch!! Other than the farrly disappointing ending it was a decent film about child abuse.