Bastard out of Carolina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bastard out of Carolina Reviews

January 29, 2012
This movie made me angry for all the abused children that have no one to protect them.
January 11, 2012
This film is incredibly difficult to watch, but the performances, were absolutely amazing.
½ January 3, 2012
the most disturbing movie i've ever seen. if i could go lower than half a star...
December 29, 2011
how do i watch the whole movie
½ October 5, 2011
There is no doubt this project was met with much passion. You can feel it in front and behind the lense. I don't think it all comes together the way they quite wanted it to. There are movie of the week tropes that should've been avoided, especially within the dialogue and the way some of the scenes played out. Still, the gritty work from Jennifer Jason Leigh, especially Glenne Headly, and the terrific, gutsy work from a young Jena Malone here are uniformly great. Plus, there's an honesty that pervades the work and truly great moments like the moments that Bone shares with her aunt, which are truly magical. Credit goes to the production designers and costume workers for making it look and feel like the time and place it should. Cudos also to Anjelica Huston for making a very difficult subject visually appealing.
July 29, 2011
I love this movie. Childhood to adulthood it's still moving whenever I watch it.
June 16, 2011
This Story Hurt me to watch, & now whenever I see Ron Eldard, I remember him this Role.The Scene with her on his Lap in the Car broke my Heart.I guess a Movie is really Good when you cannot forget it, & never Forgive the Actor because you still see him as the Bad Guy.
January 28, 2011
Bastard out of Carolina is a story about abuse and not being able to see what's just in front of you.
This is a loving story about a mother and a daughter, about the battle to show the love that you really feel in your heart and to feel such strong love for someone that you can't possibly fall out of it or possibly see the bad things that he's put the family through.
Jena Malone did a wonderful job as the role of Bone and Jennifer Jason Leigh was amazing as the mother, together they did a perfect bond that really made this movie to an experience worth remembering.
½ September 22, 2010
A destructive environment, total pathology, hard to watch at times. Brilliant performance from young Jena Malone.
½ June 17, 2010
Brutal and ugly, but I wouldn't want child abuse made to look purty. I was surprised at how Bone resents her mother as much as her abuser, because her mother should have protected her. Still, all is not perfectly grim in southern families, as Bone gets most of her support from her extended family. The best performances are Malone, carrying the whole film on her little shoulders, but Eldard is great as the monstrous manchild stepdad. Some of the screenwriting makes little to no sense and the little scene-lets in the first twenty minutes are awkward and perfunctory. Anjelica Huston doesn't exactly shine as a director her first time out, but maybe her gift was in getting the right performance out of what is a large and capable cast.
April 16, 2010
Good movie! i think that the story was good but the subject was sad.
April 12, 2010
amazing performances here.
February 15, 2010
I didn't recently see this movie...but I did just recently encounter a lady that reminded me of one of the characters in this movie. I LOVE this movie, but it can be difficult to watch due to the subject matter. For those that can stomach the subject matter it is a MUST SEE...it comes on Lifetime often.
December 19, 2009
i loved this movie it is one of my favorites.
½ November 17, 2009
Great movie that really touched on the subject of child abuse and heartache.
½ November 9, 2009
Sterk film om barnevoldtekt.
½ November 6, 2009
this movie gave me nightmares, especially as a single mother, but it also opens a lot of closed doors, and makes a very serious and sickening crime of child rape/sexual abuse public and "OUT THERE" in your face to see - and thats what needs to happen, because if we go around in our own happy bubbles and are content to pretend that these things are not happening to children - then nothing will be done. This is a movie that will make you cry, make you sick to your stomach, but it will also make you aware, and it will change you. Not many movies will accomplish such feats.
September 20, 2009
i just watched this for the first time in years yesterday. oh my, this movie is incredibly disturbing. i actually had to leave the room during some of the molestation scenes, it was too much. honestly though, this is one of the best movies i've ever seen; it feels so real. you forget you're watching a movie. i don't feel like that very often. it has a bit of a slow start but once it gets going OH MY. i saw this movie for the first time when i was still a kid and it really emotionally damaged me i think :0 ha.