Bastard out of Carolina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bastard out of Carolina Reviews

½ August 27, 2009
This was a hard movie to watch. It sickened me. Jena Malone, was insanely good in this movie. It had to be hard for her to portray certain parts in this movie at such a young age. She was just amazing in this movie.
It is a heart wrenching movie about a young girl who is sexually abused by her mothers boyfriend. Her mother is an awful piece of work. I wanted to go through the screen and physically harm her. I was just so disgusted with her and the way she treated her daughter.
All of the actors all acted their parts well. Its just an awfully good movie that will have you going through a lot of emotions. I know I went through a lot watching it.
It's not a film you can watch over and over again, but it is one that you would watch every once in a great while just on the story and the powerful acting. It is a movie that should be seen by all. A must see.
July 28, 2009
This is a really good movie. Every one needs to watch it.
June 17, 2009
A very strong message. Shocking and depressing. So utterly sad to think that people like that exist.
May 26, 2009
Extraordinary enactment of a mother's selfish decisions and the heinous consequences her devoted daughter paid.
April 29, 2009
Incredibly disurbing.
April 22, 2009
Oh this movie shocked me! it made me cry and feel so much sadness for that poor little girl. The acting was so real and strong the actors played their parts so well. Wasn't happy with the choices the mother made in this movie it just made me so angry. I really liked this movie but some of the scenes were so brutally horrific and hard to watch at times.
April 16, 2009
Struggling young mother of two Anney turns to a new man in hope of a better life, but fails to discern the sexual and physical abuse he puts her eldest daughter Ruth-Anne through. Told from the perspective of Ruth-Anne herself (and narrated by the amazing Laura Dern), 'Bastard Out Of Carolina' is a truly brutal portrayal of child abuse that manages to be really effective without a soppy Hollywood grounding, especially thanks to its ironic choice to pair such a peaceful setting with some pretty graphic and disturbing content. What makes it such a great film though really is the acting. Jennifer Jason Leigh and Ron Eldard are great sure, but Jena Malone was only about 11 when this was made, and she is just a million times better than like, anyone ever, and furthermore, any movie that puts Christina Ricci and Jena Malone together in a scene immediately deserves four stars (although a little more screentime for Ricci wouldn't have hurt). Excellent but heavy-going drama, that judging by her performance you will not believe was Jena's first film...
April 14, 2009
This film is incredibly difficult to watch, but the performances, were absolutely amazing.
½ April 7, 2009
This is a very well acted movie. Jena Malone and Jennifer Jason Leigh are very good. The story however is a tragic one,. This is nasty stuff and there were some scenes that really made me sooo angry because of one character.
March 8, 2009
wow, this was a long lost movie...i'm surprised my parents borrowed this for the 3rd grade or so.
March 7, 2009
This movie will enrage you! Sad thing is, it probably happens all the time. Jenna Malone is great in this one and Jennifer Jason Leigh's character is so dispicable, she does an excellent job. Heart-breaking story but very good movie.
February 24, 2009
This movie sends out a strong message for those kids out there who are going through the same type of abuse & keeping it hidden we all need to pay more attention to the signs especially when you have parents that think more of their spouse than their children
½ February 6, 2009
OMG! OMG! OMG! The movie moved me to pieces & tears.
January 30, 2009
This movie made me wanna kill that son-of-a-bitch who hurt that little girl. I would never allow anyone to hurt my child that way. Ever. I praise Jena Malone for playing that difficult character.
½ January 29, 2009
Hard to watch, but an amazing movie. But I don't think I could handle watching it again.
January 29, 2009
i've no interest in seeing this movie, but at least it has a great title :)
January 10, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested.
December 29, 2008
i love this movie. it has sumthing to say about all the perverts out there in the world. go movies!!!!!!
December 25, 2008
I fell for this movie,because I went thru this myself
½ December 21, 2008
A great story, but some very hard to watch scenes.