The Take (Bastille Day) Reviews

• Nov 25, 2020

Idris Elba does his apprenticeship as an action hero and potential next 007 in this fairly run-of-the-mill thriller set in Paris. Elba plays an unconventional CIA agent investigating a series of terrorist attacks for which pickpocket Richard Madden is the prime suspect. There are a couple of neat plot twists and some nice action chases but all together it is not a particularly meaty script though it makes a nice change to see Paris on the screen in an English language movie.

• Nov 16, 2020

Bastille Day AKA The Take, is a lackluster British blockbuster action thriller that effectively surprises us with plot twists while failing to supply satisfactory action or character depth to make any of it memorable. Elba is a pleasure to watch and would no doubt make a charming yet gritty James Bond. Madden is compelling enough and their banter is "fine," but because the film takes it's self so seriously we never get to indulge in their antics, in the much loved style of say Lethal Gun, or more recently, Wahlberg and Washington in 2 Guns. In fact, the plot of domestic terrorism feels so heavy and topical that including their relationship antics is difficult to even endure. Not to mention, it comes so late in the film it's awkward -- likely a hold over from earlier versions of the script that never got cut, or a late addition from a studio exec. The film is a by the book thriller, but when we twist into the 3rd act and go from terror and conspiracy into (spoiler) bank robbery, it was a fantastic switcheroo that was most unexpected. If you're looking to have something on while you prep your dinner, or gaze into the eyes of your lover with background sound on, this is your flick.

• Nov 07, 2020

A good thriller, though predictable, Bastille Day shows that Idris Elba can make it as an action star. Furthermore, Richard Madden commands the attention of his audience. I probably won't see it again, but it was a good film (disregard the last five minutes as the ending lines were awful).

• Nov 04, 2020

Good grief, the accents ! I couldn't get to the end because of them. Think Robert Shaw dragging his nails down the blackboard in Jaws and you'd be close. That aside, it's a pretty insipid thriller.

• Oct 30, 2020

I don’t get the ratings here . Yea the story was a bit generic . But the action was solid . The acting was solid . And there were two a list stars 3.4

• Oct 03, 2020

loved it! It started slow but for a suspense movie, which it is, it also had humor, made me laugh more than some comedies! LOL. Also had a surprise ending which was satisfying!

• Sep 27, 2020

Two of my recent favorite British actors, Idris Elba and Richard Madden, in a pretty terrorist action movie with a few surprises and some great Paris locals. Maybe a little homage to Robert Bresson's classic "Pickpocket" but lots of other clever action scenes, like a fight inside a delivery van. Anyway, Idris and Richard do deliver and the plot keeps getting interesting even though it's somewhat conventional. Whoever is panning this moving is not really paying much attention. It is definitely worth curling with a red wine and enjoying enjoying the edge of your seat action scenes.

• Sep 26, 2020

The two main characters have no charisma. Good thing one of them works on the worng side of the law, so his skill set can be used to help the good cop and save the day. Predicatable story line. Predicatable characters. Kudos to Charlotte Le Bon for bringing some emotional intelligence to the film. Boring!

• Sep 26, 2020

After four years of the current administration, this movies vividly portrays the current 2020 unrest in the U.S. ; and, will make you wonder what will things be like if the current administration remains in power through 2024. A real WAKE UP! call.

• Sep 26, 2020

Great action movie. Idris Elba is perfectly cast as a rogue CIA agent. The script is well written and shows how easily people are to manipulate.