Bathtubs Over Broadway Reviews

• Nov 07, 2020

This was such an unexpected gem! I have lost track of how many times I have sat down to enjoy this extraordinary hidden world! Thank you Steve Young for sharing your discoveries!

• May 28, 2020

An offbeat paean to the peculiar excesses and exultations of campy midcentury American entrepreneurship, though Side B does start to lose steam as the focus shifts from industrial musicals to their collection by Steve Young, who the documentary tries to position as something of a Steve Wiebe—though without a heel like Billy Mitchell, Wiebe (like Young) would be just another dweeb.

• May 03, 2020

Fantastic! My new favourite movie!! A delight from curious beginning to soaring finale, and the perfect antidote to anger, gloom and tedium. Anyone – in fact everyone! – in social isolation should to see this!!

• Feb 02, 2020

It was a delight! I especially loved how Steve found these performers and helped them value their past work even more. It's also about the joy of eccentric adventures

• Nov 25, 2019

So this is the story of a guy, Steve Young, no not the Hall of Fame NFL quarterback, but a longtime writer for both late night shows starring David Letterman. He was in charge of getting odd records for the 'Dave's Record Collection' bit on the show. Over time he stumbled into some records called 'Industrials' which were shows done by big companies to increase moral and who knows what other reasons. This rabbit hole turned into an obsession for Young who is charming in his unwavering devotion to his passion: unearthing as much about this musical performances as he can. The journey takes us to writers and actors in the shows that were often done just once. It was a lot of work and some really good money and it's so bizarre it has to be seen to be believed. He tracks down some pretty well known actors and gets to learn about more in this nearly undiscovered world. The doc ties in the conclusion of the Late Show with David Letterman and an uncertain future with no job. It's really great, never boring and tight. Final Score: 9.4/10

• Oct 17, 2019

I never knew about this stuff, but it's incredible learning about it. If you like theater or musicals, you'll want to watch this too.

• Sep 11, 2019

The mark of an excellent documentary is transcendence over its subject. You think you're watching a film about a whole element of professional musical theater, industrial musicals, that very few people have ever heard of. But after a bit you realize it's also about this guy, a comedy writer who isn't sure if he's funny anymore, who doesn't think he's got a second act in him, who finds himself out of work right before he turns 50 and ends up writing his own second act. This is a fantastic film about composers and librettists, performers and collectors, but it's also about getting old in America, about the scorn we level towards artists when they make money, and about how bleak your personal outlook can be when you don't think you have time to reinvent yourself. It's also got Jello Biafra in a Broadway-style musical number, holding an armload of toilet plungers.

• Jul 04, 2019

Lovely to learn about industrial musicals!

Lovely to learn about industrial musicals!

• May 29, 2019

Absolutely loved this movie! It's funny, joyfully weird, heartwarming and reminds us how powerful it can be to make someone feel seen.

• May 16, 2019