Batman Gotham Knight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Gotham Knight Reviews

½ December 3, 2017
One of the best movies I've ever seen. Only give 4.5 because of the sucky animation in the beginning.
June 22, 2017
There is a lot of good Batman content in this anthology; two of the shorts are especially great, showing his legend through the eyes of the children of Gotham and the hero's true superpower: his will. Another is almost as good, showing the vigilante's growing relationship with the police. The other half are entertaining enough, if unremarkable, but the bigger problem is that while they all work well individually they suffer an identity crisis when put together. That's not because they are too disparate; the variety in the different animation styles is a highlight and shows the versatility of the character, it's that they try to tie them together. While it's nice that each one picks up a thread from the previous one, not enough attention was paid to making them line up and it ends up feeling more disjointed than if the shorts were kept more separate. Similarly it purports to fit with Nolan's live action movies, it just about succeeds as regards the narrative situation, but it drops the ball on continuity details. Fortunately this link is easily ignored, but it highlights how the film would have been better embracing one thing on another: either allowing the freedom to make the stories as different from each other as possible (it may have benefited from hiring different voice actors for each one as those used don't always fit) or make them a more uniform whole. By not deciding what it wants to be or committing to one thing it becomes less than the sum of its parts.
February 24, 2017
Really good showcase IOC the world of nolans batman
½ February 14, 2017
Travelling across time and art styles is amazingly interesting. Each child tells their story about their encounter with the mysterious Batman. The stories all harbor a new vision of who and what Batman is. Giving the audience different perspectives into the minds of those who encounter the masked vigilante.
January 28, 2017
BATMAN: Gotham Knight is a messy, disturbing, gory, and crowded film that delivers on action but lacks a thoughtful story.
jamrcla
November 23, 2016
A very unusual and darker Batman than we're used to seeing even in animation which has had some pretty dark films, It's split into 6 little segments and they all drag, I found myself clock watching as I struggled to pay attention or enjoy the story, It's definitely not one for the kids as it's more story driven than action packed and cool gadgets, It's got allot of praise and I can see why as the style of this film is very appealing to certain people but I'm afraid it's not for me.
October 26, 2016
A great animated Batman tale, told like six pieces of a jigsaw meant to be put together, each using a different style of Japanese anime. All go for the mysterious Dark Knight Of The Shadows effect and the result is elegant and engaging. "Here is the Batman I know," I thought
August 30, 2016
Most of the stories substituted blood for plot. The animation was terrible, and only 2 stories were worth watching. Only buy it if you are a huge Conroy/Batman fan.
August 10, 2016
Collection of six short stories of Batmen, each having a different art style, all produced by famous Japanese anime studios.
First one is "Have I Got a Story for You", initially I was excited to see the Japanese anime style but as the novelty wore off, realized it didn't go well with Batman. As for the story itself its interesting, about kids sharing encounters of batmen and how he looks although the anime makes batmen look lame. (2/5)
Second one is "Crossfire", it had the best anime style which worked for Batmen, awesome action sequence with lots of CGI effects. Story is about a police officers have negative opinion of Batmen and how a first-hand encounters changes the opinion. (4/5)
Third one "Field Test", while I like the anime style hated the Japanese playboy looks of Batmen. The story is probably the best one of the lot, about field testing a new gadget. (3/5)
Fourth one "In Darkness Dwells" got some crazy anime, looks brilliant at the beginning but too much of its no fun, it's like seeing anime when you are high. Also I hated the sketch of Batmen in it, too ugly. The story is about rescuing a kidnapped cardinal from Scarecrow who is based out of underground tunnels of Gotham City. (2/5)
Fifth one is "Working through Pain", while I enjoyed the anime showing the Indian characters and background, Batmen looked too Japanese for my taste. Enjoyed the story about how he learns to survive pain. (3/5)
Sixth one is "Deadshot", got great anime and a great story. Deadshot vs Batmen is actually fun. (4/5)
½ July 17, 2016
A series of short stories that simply oozes style. A must-watch for fans.
½ May 3, 2016
There were some interesting story's here but still felt like it wasn't anything more than a little bit above average
½ April 23, 2016
The first animation is just awful and many of the others have parts that fall flat on their faces, but Batman + Anime?!? Just tell me that doesn't spell awesome!

B
March 24, 2016
Batman Gotham Knight is probably one of the worst Batman movies ever, it does have some moments though.
February 23, 2016
In my opinion this is the best of the Batman animated features. The stories are very entertaining and the art is wonderful. My only objection is the same one I have with every Batman animated feature. The art department can't decide what century to put the story. Can they NOT draw automobiles? One chapter has cars that look like cars from the 1960's and 70's but another is anyone's guess. Now I realize there's no automotive company sponsoring, so the cars can't actually look like name brands, but can't the cars at least take styling cues from modern cars?
December 4, 2015
Do you remember back in the late 90s/early 00's, that period between "The Matrix" and "The Matrix: Reloaded"?

If so, you probably also remember the series of short animated films set between the two, to bridge the gap, called "The Animatrix".

Well, I think it's a fair bet to say that Warner remembers them, since that's essentially what this is: a collection of animated Batman stories set between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight".

As it is a collection, some of the stories are better than others, both in plot (there's not a lot of plot, really, you can get into about 20 minutes or so of running time) and animation - if I'm honest, the entry story in this nearly had me turning it off, since I can barely stand the animation style used and (I felt) the plot wasn't much cop either.

Thankfully, some of the later stories are better, even if it is disconcerting seeing the same character (Alfred) animated and portrayed differently in two consecutive tales!
½ September 27, 2015
71%
Saw this on 27/9/15
It's last two stories are good, apart from that this film is mostly boring and at times poorly animated. The only sense of purpose and some real good villains can be seen in the last two stories.
½ September 10, 2015
Some chapters are better than others
August 12, 2015
Through exquisite storytelling and animations, Batman: Gotham Knight displays the Caped Crusader in an intricate and satisfying fashion. This animated anthology utilizes various versions and interpretations of the famed-DC-vigilante to highlight the mythology behind the hero that's both impressive and innovative. 4/5
July 9, 2015
Horrible animation movie, Kevin Conroy had an awesome Batman voice but the Japan anime type of animation in my mind is the worst. This movie would be better if it had better more American animation. It feels like a dark pokemon movie not like a Batman movie. It could have been a better movie. Not the best characters, Batman is still amazing, those kids that were in the beginning, their stories were just plain flat out terrible.
June 25, 2015
The movie basically had a certain really amazing stories like 'working through pain' and a certain really charming ones like 'crossfire' which really uplifted the movie as a whole.. surely want to see again ;-)