Batman Gotham Knight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Gotham Knight Reviews

August 30, 2016
Most of the stories substituted blood for plot. The animation was terrible, and only 2 stories were worth watching. Only buy it if you are a huge Conroy/Batman fan.
August 10, 2016
Collection of six short stories of Batmen, each having a different art style, all produced by famous Japanese anime studios.
First one is "Have I Got a Story for You", initially I was excited to see the Japanese anime style but as the novelty wore off, realized it didn't go well with Batman. As for the story itself its interesting, about kids sharing encounters of batmen and how he looks although the anime makes batmen look lame. (2/5)
Second one is "Crossfire", it had the best anime style which worked for Batmen, awesome action sequence with lots of CGI effects. Story is about a police officers have negative opinion of Batmen and how a first-hand encounters changes the opinion. (4/5)
Third one "Field Test", while I like the anime style hated the Japanese playboy looks of Batmen. The story is probably the best one of the lot, about field testing a new gadget. (3/5)
Fourth one "In Darkness Dwells" got some crazy anime, looks brilliant at the beginning but too much of its no fun, it's like seeing anime when you are high. Also I hated the sketch of Batmen in it, too ugly. The story is about rescuing a kidnapped cardinal from Scarecrow who is based out of underground tunnels of Gotham City. (2/5)
Fifth one is "Working through Pain", while I enjoyed the anime showing the Indian characters and background, Batmen looked too Japanese for my taste. Enjoyed the story about how he learns to survive pain. (3/5)
Sixth one is "Deadshot", got great anime and a great story. Deadshot vs Batmen is actually fun. (4/5)
½ July 17, 2016
A series of short stories that simply oozes style. A must-watch for fans.
½ May 3, 2016
There were some interesting story's here but still felt like it wasn't anything more than a little bit above average
½ April 23, 2016
The first animation is just awful and many of the others have parts that fall flat on their faces, but Batman + Anime?!? Just tell me that doesn't spell awesome!

April 20, 2016
Suffers the eternal curse of the anthology; it's a mixed bag. Of six shorts, two are great, showing the Batman legend as it affects the children of Gotham and the hero's true superpower, his will; another is almost as good, showing the vigilante's growing relationship with the police; one is pretty dire, substituting an unlikely gadget for any real story or character and the remaining two are entertaining enough, if fanciful to fit into the same world as Nolan's live action movies as it purports to (although this is easily forgotten and best ignored).
March 24, 2016
Batman Gotham Knight is probably one of the worst Batman movies ever, it does have some moments though.
February 23, 2016
In my opinion this is the best of the Batman animated features. The stories are very entertaining and the art is wonderful. My only objection is the same one I have with every Batman animated feature. The art department can't decide what century to put the story. Can they NOT draw automobiles? One chapter has cars that look like cars from the 1960's and 70's but another is anyone's guess. Now I realize there's no automotive company sponsoring, so the cars can't actually look like name brands, but can't the cars at least take styling cues from modern cars?
December 4, 2015
Do you remember back in the late 90s/early 00's, that period between "The Matrix" and "The Matrix: Reloaded"?

If so, you probably also remember the series of short animated films set between the two, to bridge the gap, called "The Animatrix".

Well, I think it's a fair bet to say that Warner remembers them, since that's essentially what this is: a collection of animated Batman stories set between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight".

As it is a collection, some of the stories are better than others, both in plot (there's not a lot of plot, really, you can get into about 20 minutes or so of running time) and animation - if I'm honest, the entry story in this nearly had me turning it off, since I can barely stand the animation style used and (I felt) the plot wasn't much cop either.

Thankfully, some of the later stories are better, even if it is disconcerting seeing the same character (Alfred) animated and portrayed differently in two consecutive tales!
½ September 27, 2015
Saw this on 27/9/15
It's last two stories are good, apart from that this film is mostly boring and at times poorly animated. The only sense of purpose and some real good villains can be seen in the last two stories.
½ September 10, 2015
Some chapters are better than others
August 12, 2015
Through exquisite storytelling and animations, Batman: Gotham Knight displays the Caped Crusader in an intricate and satisfying fashion. This animated anthology utilizes various versions and interpretations of the famed-DC-vigilante to highlight the mythology behind the hero that's both impressive and innovative. 4/5
July 9, 2015
Horrible animation movie, Kevin Conroy had an awesome Batman voice but the Japan anime type of animation in my mind is the worst. This movie would be better if it had better more American animation. It feels like a dark pokemon movie not like a Batman movie. It could have been a better movie. Not the best characters, Batman is still amazing, those kids that were in the beginning, their stories were just plain flat out terrible.
June 25, 2015
The movie basically had a certain really amazing stories like 'working through pain' and a certain really charming ones like 'crossfire' which really uplifted the movie as a whole.. surely want to see again ;-)
½ May 30, 2015
Great movie with great themes and personality. Some of the stories were more interesting than others but it's a tough standard to beat when they all feel awesome.
May 20, 2015
An interesting, if ultimately empty, set of interconnected stories. At least Kevin Conroy makes it worthwhile.
April 22, 2015
I can see why the users didnt like it because this didn't have that same kid batman tone to it. The animation was weird and cool at the same time with a very dark tone to it. This was divided into 6 episode and I didn't have any problems except for episode when they had the indian peace culture bullshit because comics never had that. So episode one is what put people off because the animation was very animie like but ultra weird and I happened to really enjoy it. Episode 2 had the darkest batman in the whole anthology which gave the batman feel to it. Episode 3 was alright nothing special but it looked very Japanese like. Episode 4 I liked cause it was scarecrow and that was fun. Episode 5 was indian bullshit so me no Gusta. Episode 6 was my favorite it had awesome action as dead shot!
½ March 24, 2015
not what I was expecting, but a nice change of pace with the short stories
½ March 1, 2015
For a batman movie it sucked, mainly because the first short was AWFUL also the 5th and the 2nd were pretty bad, the Arkham one and the scarecrow ones were eh, but I did like the deadshot one a lot, but overall, not great, prolly won't watch it again. Also really disgusting surgery scene and I hated the way scarecrow looked.