Batman Gotham Knight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Gotham Knight Reviews

April 22, 2015
I can see why the users didnt like it because this didn't have that same kid batman tone to it. The animation was weird and cool at the same time with a very dark tone to it. This was divided into 6 episode and I didn't have any problems except for episode when they had the indian peace culture bullshit because comics never had that. So episode one is what put people off because the animation was very animie like but ultra weird and I happened to really enjoy it. Episode 2 had the darkest batman in the whole anthology which gave the batman feel to it. Episode 3 was alright nothing special but it looked very Japanese like. Episode 4 I liked cause it was scarecrow and that was fun. Episode 5 was indian bullshit so me no Gusta. Episode 6 was my favorite it had awesome action as dead shot!
½ March 24, 2015
not what I was expecting, but a nice change of pace with the short stories
½ March 1, 2015
For a batman movie it sucked, mainly because the first short was AWFUL also the 5th and the 2nd were pretty bad, the Arkham one and the scarecrow ones were eh, but I did like the deadshot one a lot, but overall, not great, prolly won't watch it again. Also really disgusting surgery scene and I hated the way scarecrow looked.
December 7, 2014
The episodic adventure of The Dark Night Returns are almost like modern short stories of Gotham. Pleasant individually and a way to scratch a itch for a bit of Batman, fans of the franchise will gladly spend their time with this feature.
December 3, 2014
(spoiler alert)
There was a scene were deadshot kills a man with a sniper from the same exact scene from batman knightfall comics and its really made me think if it was deadshot when it was made to look like it was GunHawk
September 22, 2014
It was decent not my kind of anime
August 23, 2014
With the presence of Emma Thomas - one of the producers of Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Trilogy - teaming up with producers in the animation territory, the feeling of "Batman: Gotham Knight" is more enjoyable when it's an alternative chapter to the trilogy. This chapter takes place after "Batman Begins" and before "The Dark Knight," with different styles of nice animation in transitioning segments being dark with graphics. While the tone may be different to the trilogy's, it's still good with its characters and action, including few references to the events happened in "Batman Begins." "Batman: Gotham Knight" is a nice additional treat to The Dark Knight Trilogy. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
August 20, 2014
Yes I count this as a movie. Personally, the only real flaw in the movie is that the animation styles weren't unique enough. Most of them looked the same. But the story telling was great, and they were generally darker than most Batman films. My personal fave was the first bit: "Have I Got a Story For You." Second favorite would have to be the one where Bruce gets training from a tribal woman on how to control mental pain and withstand physical pain.
80/100.
August 20, 2014
80/100.
½ August 20, 2014
If it wasn't batman it would be a 2
August 14, 2014
To those who don't appreciate the diversity of character development this might not be for you. Overall this movie or movies are great! each has its own feel and depth.
August 9, 2014
Different short stories.

The first one was pretty lame. (It reminded me a bit of the boondocks because of the style of the animation). It's about a bunch of kids who tell stories about batman. All of them are pretty bullshit. He's a shadow in one, an actual bat in another, a robot, whatever. It's kind of lame. I get the point that from another point of view you don't realize what you see and you make heroes out to be like something greater than they are.

The second story was about some cops transporting a prisoner. The animation in this reminded me of spawn. This was a bit better. A lot more dark and bloody. Batman was a bad ass in this one.

"Filed Test" The third one (the guy who did hack/sign). The animation was pretty good. Bruce Wayne is a kid and kind of looks like a pussy. Totally not impressed. In this one Batman gets a force field...yeah... lame. Batman is a bad ass because he dodges bullets and punches people in the face. Not because his technology makes it so he can move things with his mind or block bullets....Even his suit looked too robotic and stupid. This one just made batman look so weak. It's sad to see such good looking animation wasted.

"In Darkness Dwells" #4. Again, animation bad ass! The director of this worked on the animatrix and neon genesis. This one had the coolest batman so far. He's fighting the Crock. I liked that he's fighting some thing and not just thugs. The Crock didn't loo great. He looked too much like a monster and not enough like a person. Batman looked a little weird too. He could have looked better, but the story wasn't bad. At times the action seamed flawed. Very stiff and jumpy, not flowing very well. Only when they fought, though everything else looked smooth. This one really had a bad ass batman, though.

"working Through Pain" #5. I'm going to be honest, a lot of the styles of these animations looked pretty similar. They're different, but very slightly different. This one was pretty good. Bruce Wayne goes to India to learn how to deal with physical pain. These are all flashbacks. In the future Batman's doin' in thing. All in all a pretty good story.

"Deadshot" #6. This one's about a super sniper. Dude is bad ass. Like in wanted. Firing from moving objects. He curved bullets :) Bruce Wayne is the best in this one. Ripped. I didn't like Alfred in this one. He was too young looking. This one looked great. One of the best on here.

All in all it wasn't bad, but nothing that much greater than the show.
August 7, 2014
Despite recently moving into a more experimental stage, the superhero genre has suffered at times due to an unwillingness to tinker with the conventions and mythologies of popular superheroes. Thankfully, the animation world is not afraid to take a much more creativity approach towards various superhero conventions and is willing to make some audacious changes. With Batman being one the most beloved comic-book characters in popular culture, it is always refreshing to see a different take on the caped crusader. And while at times "Gotham Knight" explores similar (and tiresome) themes that are associated with the iconic figure, the creative approach to storytelling and the visual image compensate for these various shortcomings.

The narrative is dispersed as a collection of short stories that explore various notions and characters associated with Batman. The first, "Have I Got A Story For You" features the tales of four punk kids and their different perceptions of the hero. As suggested with the number of the narrators, the most refreshing aspect about this opener is the creators approach to storytelling. Rather than the usual deliverance of the narrative coming from a sole character or a third-person perception often associated with the DC animation realm, the opening tale rather tells its story through four conflicting narrators and their encounter with Batman (each providing different depictions). Furthermore, not only does this narration style display a more a creative approach, but also plays with the notion of the mythical qualities that surround heroes. And in the conclusion of this tale, the mythical element that surrounds most superheroes is suggested to be subverted with Batman.

While in the opening tale - both creative and thematically - there are some really interesting and refreshing approaches to exploring the mythology that surrounds Batman, the second short story unfortunately lacks the spark of the first. "Crossfire," the second tale, explores the tiresome notion associated with most heroes: how can you trust a vigilante? Despite exploring this somewhat generic theme, the amount of atmosphere created in this second tale is astonishing. From the blend of horrific images (with some great editing) and a disturbing score that all contribute to reflect beautifully the dark, cynical world of Gotham City. However, while these opening segments displays the great things about the DC animation world, the other short stories (as previously mentioned) are lackluster at times. Narrative devices become repetitive (especially the use of the Russian and Falcone twice as the villains), and while "Working Through Pain" is brutal, watching this short in a post-"Dark Knight Rises" context and Nolan's use of climbing metaphor to represent Bruce's external and internal conflict cannot compare. The final episode with Deadshot seems to be hinting at some interesting stuff but eventually gets shortchanged for a superfluous action sequence.

Nonetheless, while "Gotham Knight" has certain shortcomings, this DC animation display a sense of creativity that most superheroes films lack and also contains some great visual and atmospheric tension.
½ August 7, 2014
Animation's incredible. That is all.
August 2, 2014
A dream come true for those who wanted Batman to be in ANIME styled!
June 18, 2014
Poor animation and a mixed bag of stories makes this film very disappointing. A few of the stories have been done before and done better in Batman the Animated series. Only the Killer Crock and Deadshot stories are remotely interesting.
March 31, 2014
The strangest collection of shorts that is good with different styles and stories but it is fun and entertaining. It reminds me of the Animatrix but it's much better than that.
½ March 17, 2014
It's a pretty good selection of short animations that tie together, i absolutely adored the different styles of animation presented here, and the voice acting was really good (Kevin Conroy, brrrrrrrr). The third installment reminded me of Mike Mignola art a little. The whole thing starts off pretty well, i like the skater kids with their different visions of how Batman appeared to them, after that the villains don't present as being all that interesting e.g The Russian...but i did like the depiction of Scarecrow even if he got little to say for himself... overall i thought the animation was mouth watering, i'd like to see whole movies in some of the styles. - also loved the short Bob Kane doc on the Blu-Ray extras, i didn't know anything about him and it was interesting.
½ November 10, 2013
5/10: This is a collection of 6 animated Batman stories (in Anime style, which honestly is not my taste-bud) written by famous comic writers like Greg Rucka and Brian Azzarello as well as the Dark Knight trilogy screenplay writer - David S. Goyer! There are hits and miss in those 6 stories, but overall, you would still enjoy it if you love Batman. Purely made for the Bat-fans, which yours truly is one of them. However, for non-Batman fans, you may want to turn away.