Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker Reviews

August 15, 2016
Action-packed and surprisingly disturbing film that makes me weep for DC today.
The terrific writing, attention to detail in animation, and Mark Hamill creates the perfect storm for an awesome batman movie. The writing, especially, needs to be put on a pedestal and should be better appreciated--now more than ever for DC. The disturbing Joker monologue (you'll know it when you see it) gave me chills and is highly underrated. DC's movies need this creative boost that will bring a smile to our faces.
The plot loses steam in the third act and led me to question the logic but the other aspects of the film made me forget these flaws. I highly recommend this to those looking for a dark, fun batman movie.
August 9, 2016
It was and will stay a dope movie
August 6, 2016
This is not just my favorite Batman animated movie, but my favorite animated movie of all time. I love Terry McGinnis and his relationship with the aging Bruce Wayne played by the best Batman voice actor to ever live (in my opinion), Kevin Conroy. Mark Hamill, the equal Joker to Kevin Conroy's Batman kills it voicing the returned Joker. The flashback sequences are absolutely horrifyingly amazing. The epic plot twist and the way Terry gets in the head of the legendary clown prince of crime are absolutely perfect. Everything about this movie is simply perfection in my opinion.
July 5, 2016
A great mystery and an even greater payoff. This movie brilliantly brings back Batman's greatest foe, and definitely this is one of the worst things the Joker has ever done, right along killing Jason Todd and shooting Barbara Gordon. I admire Paul Dini's bravery and creativity to come up with a story that succesfully lives up to its name and surpasses the expectations. Special mention to Old Bruce, Comissioner Barbara Gordon and the amazingly dark and grim flashback sequence. Definitely a movie worth watching.
½ May 16, 2016
Incredibly solid, dark, complex, and even frightening, this Batman installment amazingly narrates everything about what the Batman-Joker conflict stands for.
½ March 24, 2016
A grand and dark animation, Return of the Joker is one of the best Batman movies I've ever seen.
March 23, 2016
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker shows its worth with this boldly adult take on the classic cartoon from the late 1990s to early 2000s.
True to the Batman mythos, well directed though it could have been a little longer and it would have made a phenomenal live-action Batman film.
½ March 21, 2016
Let me start off by saying that I love Batman Beyond. In some ways I feel like it's aged a lot better than Batman The Animated Series. That being said, I watched this movie religiously when it came out years ago. The combination of Conroy and Hamill as well as the story truly makes this stand out. Even Will Friedle does a fantastic job as Terry McGinnis. I don't think it's as good as "Under the Red Hood", but for a straight-to-DVD movie about a show that only lasted 3 seasons, it's done incredibly well.
February 10, 2016
Brilliantly crafted animated movie. Surprisingly dark and does the dark knight more justice than you would expect. I never watched the show or the other movie but this movie certainly got me interested in looking into it.
½ February 8, 2016
January 29, 2016
With having the new Batman I would say he was cool and the villains work cool and joker is back!! It's interesting how this new Batman has the Jets to fly if you wants to and how Terry is just a high school student that is the new Batman I would say it's a good movie Great information to this movie
½ January 18, 2016
This was my introduction to the Batman Beyond series, but I did find the futuristic slant to be an intriguing prospect. The continuation of the Batman story-line, following Bruce Wayne's heir to wear the costume and battle Gotham's criminals, is an idea rich with possibilities. Including Wayne as one of the story's principal characters, even though he has long since left his personal brand of vigilante work behind, is a smart way to acknowledge the more traditionally minded Batman fans. Then, of course, finding a way to craft a story around the return of Batman's all-time #1 foe solidifies this as a film that should command any Batman fan's attentions. Comic book readers will be especially satisfied with how that particular point is explained, I think. The animation is a little spotty at times and there were a few details that I thought could have been enhanced with a little more creative thought by the makers. But, I nonetheless found the movie to be very satisfying in what it accomplishes. I would definitely undertake a second viewing.
January 1, 2016
Another great Batman animated movie but this time is Batman beyond the movie. This is the second Batman beyond movie I think, don't know if this is the sequel or the first Batman beyond animated movie. I love the tv show but this movie is way better than the tv show. Jokers back and looks the same as the Batman animated series before Batman beyond when Bruce Wayne was young. I liked when barbara Gordon tells Terri about when they were crime fighters. I'm glad the flash back scene was long and has the same art style as the original tv show, Batman the animated series. It's creepy when you see young robin, Tim drake turn into the joker and Harley Quinn's son. I also like that Harley Quinn was in it as a cameo as an old grandmother to the twins that worked for the joker, Dee Dee and Dennis.
December 17, 2015
Interesting Batman Beyond film
October 16, 2015
Such An Amazing Film It Very Well Made And Will Have You Guessing
September 15, 2015
Beautifully animated, wonderfully acted, and sometimes devastatingly violent and sad, this film made me adore Batman Beyond and offered a suitably disturbing end to the DC Animated Universe's Joker.
½ August 21, 2015
This movie works so well because it manages to successfully combine the best elements of Batman The Animated Series with the best elements of Batman Beyond.
August 17, 2015
"Oh you must mean Junior!".

"This is Spider-Man" was my first reaction to seeing the new look 'Batman' in the 'Batman Beyond return Of The Joker'. Cocky and quipy isn't something I'd describe 'Batman' as usually, but with Bruce's protege 'Terry' it works. Beyond was a new take on 'Batman' so a new, different personality in the suit makes sense. But there's still some of that classic 'Batman' in there and that's what makes it works so well.

The jarring personality in the suit couldn't be more different than Bruce's grounded serious outlook. it doesn't start too hot with bar bones backgrounds and some rather lacklustre villains in 'The Jokers'. It didn't seem to jive with the generally well thought-out style of the Beyond series. But it quickly (to my surprise) sets things in the right motion. Given the title it's obvious in Batman Beyond Joker's gone and though bits and pieces it reveals that he's dead so when someone 'claiming' to be the 'Joker' turns up it has 'Bruce' perplexed and scared.

It's a more grown up Batman tale that falls in the line of adults and kids, there's not blood as such and it's full of bright and colourful character designs. Yet has a well thought out story, bringing in an older 'Batgirl' now commissioner and 'Robin'. As she explains the story of the Joker to 'Terry'. Which could have been bland but it's a fantastic flashback showing all the signs of classic 'Joker' with his patented psychological damage and playful acts of violence. Its strength really is the story (when it starts) making it more adult (Even if the way the Joker is brought back is a little off and easy.) without alienating it's younger audience.

The background can be a little flat, the start and teh night club being two that stick out like a sore thumb but the animation quality is nice and the futuristic city makes the unique look of the new Batsuit fit - akin to a flying squirrel. Like the series simple but effective.

'The Return Of Joker' does get off to a shaky start with some dull background design and 'The Jokers' are a bit boring. But when it sets the real one up it comes into its own. Bringing the old 'Gotham' of 'Bruce', Barbara, Tim and the joker as the central point of this new version and new Batman works well - utilising some fantastic flashbacks scenes showing the Joker at his most psychotic. 'Terry' being different rather than the same old serious 'Batman' makes it feel like he is a different breed but cut from a similar cloth.
½ August 14, 2015
A very pleasant surprise of a movie, Return of the Joker is another well written and well animated work of art. All of the characters are fun and interesting, especially Mark Hamill's voice work as The Joker. Hamill as The Joker is definitely the most fun and enjoyable element of this film.
August 6, 2015
After three seasons of the animated t.v. show, it is great to have Mark Hamill reprise his role as the Joker once again.