Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm Reviews

October 8, 2016
Boasting stunning art direction, amazing action sequences, spectacular voice acting from its cast with Mark Hamill stealing the show as the Joker and a darker and deeper tone than the live-action movies, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is one of the best Batman films to date.
September 25, 2016
I'd put this among the very best of Batman movies, and Conroy is the BEST BATMAN!
September 24, 2016
Rarely have I seen a comic-book-animated film with such a sharp, flowing script like Mask of the Phantasm. It's packed with expertly timed comic relief, detailed dialogue, emotional depth, and 3-dimensional characters. Even with its intricate, deep story containing multiple subplots, it never feels disjointed, convoluted or bloated, remaining intriguing, involving and smartly paced from start to finish. Based on my favorite Batman cartoon The Animated Series, Mask of the Phantasm is honestly the best animated Dark Knight film I've seen yet.
September 19, 2016
This is the Batman that I wish we were getting on the big screen right now. I just love how he genuinely acts as a detective piecing together clues, and he flat out refuses to kill people. He also didn't have an artificial Batman voice that sounded like someone who had just finished gargling gravel, thanks to the superb work by Kevin Conroy. In fact, the voice work throughout the film was second to none, particularly Conroy as Bruce/Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker. I also couldn't get enough of the score. Composer Shirley Walker did some remarkable things with the music and helped to intensify the atmosphere and also amp up the excitement of action scenes. I never watched the animated series (I haven't watched that many cartoons since I was a child) but the look of the film was solid. At times it seems a little too goofy, considering how dark they are trying to set the tone, but I think it gels fairly well.

Zack Snyder could have taken a lesson from Mask of the Phantasm to learn how to remind the audience of the death of the Waynes and what that means to Bruce. With nothing more than a picture on the wall and a visit to the grave we 100% understand without needing to see pearls falling to the ground again. However, the story-telling in Mask of the Phantasm wasn't always that solid and concise. I had some significant problems with the way the movie constantly jumped back-and-forth in time. If they were thinking about it more, they would have included a simple visual cue that would clue us into whether we were watching the past or the present. It's not a good sign when you have a film-viewer like myself being tempted to pause at the beginning of each new scene in order to figure out where we were in the timeline. The twist at the end is easy for most people to guess, but I didn't mind all that much because they cast suspicion on enough people that the reveal could have been different, so it was still a solid mystery.

There is a romance plot in the film which was necessary to the story, but I wasn't really convinced of their affection for one another. I think that stems from the fact that the movie skipped over some of the courtship moments in their relationship and just expected the audience to accept that the love was there. I was surprised that the movie left things relatively open and unresolved at the end, but I assume that was intended so that the story could fold back into the animated series. One opportunity that I feel like they missed was the chance to have Batman in a position where he's forced to defend the Joker. Because of his vow not to kill (or let people die) they had the chance to create a much stronger moment by putting the Joker's life on the line instead of Andrea. If Batman was given no alternative than to save his arch nemesis it would be marvelous. That's not to say the movie was bad for not doing what I wanted, I just saw the squandered potential for greatness. The film was a gem, though. It is definitely well-made and I'd say it's better than at least 3 live action movies starring Batman.
September 5, 2016
This overlooked gem goes up there with The Dark Knight and Batman (1989) as one of the best Batman movies ever made
½ September 4, 2016
Coming from a major Batman fan, I can easily say that, at the time, this was the best Batman movie out there. Combine excellent, fully-realized characters with a top-notch voice cast and some very good animation, and you got yourself a great Batman film.

Mask of the Phantasm is simply a delight.

Grade: A-
August 27, 2016
Mask of the Phantasm takes the best elements of the animated series; character development, smooth direction, smart writing and enjoyable animation, condensing what could be possibly considered Batman's best film.
August 23, 2016
What a great story! This depicts Batman/ Bruce Wayne with tragic drama, sprinkling in dark atmosphere.
August 22, 2016
'Mask of the Phantasm' really isn't that good. It features a great voice cast and good animation, but the movie felt like such a drag, and I simply couldn't get invested in the story.
August 21, 2016
Though the twist at the end is underwhelming, the movie is enjoyable overall.
½ August 13, 2016
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is directed by Eric Radomski and Bruce Timm who were the creators of Batman: The Animated Series, and it stars Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, and Dana Delany in an animated superhero film about Batman doing his usual stuff, until his ex-girlfriend comes back to Gotham, and 2 weeks before she was there, a new villain named Phantasm starts killing gang members, leaving people to believe that it was Batman that did it as they both look a little similar. When I first heard of it, it was from a YouTube video where the Joker has his well known laugh, and ever since then, I wanted to watch the movie, but however, it wasn't in a rental store nor the city library. So I got impatient and just buy it on Amazon, and got it about a week later. For their first film that's part of the animated series, I really enjoyed it. The voice acting is fantastic as I really believed that Kevin Conroy is really Batman, and Mark Hamill is Joker. The animation is really impressive as it was just about all of it were hand drawn, and I'm glad they stuck with it as it could've been easier to do it all in computer animation. The story doesn't feel like an extended episode, and you actually don't need to watch the show in order to understand the film as it gives enough information about Batman/Bruce Wayne, and the old villain from the animated series like the Joker. The writing by Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, Martin Pasko, and Michael Reaves is great that it shown something that none of the live-action Batman films haven't done, are what Bruce Wayne's life is like before he became Batman, and actually seeing him do some detective work as none of the film's focused on his actual persona that's similar to the comics. It gives some laughs when it doesn't take it serious from the Joker, but when it gets serious, it does, and it gets suspenseful at times while also giving some fun fights. The only small problem about the film is that even though the kids are going to be shocked on the twist reveal, but for adults, it seem a little obvious on it, which I picked up on it too, even though it's not a bad twist, it's just not a shocking one. While it may not be as entertaining as The Dark Knight Trilogy or Tim Burton's Batman films, I can say that Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is the closest film that we got that shows what Batman actually is like.
½ August 12, 2016
Joker was best and funny, woman was old interest and protected her dad. Shows a little of bats training to becomes bata
August 9, 2016
Best superhero animated movie, EVER! Hands down! The story of Bruce Wayne and Andrea Beaumont in this movie is amazing. We get to see Bruce Wayne BEFORE he becomes the masked vigilante which I think they did a great work. The soundtrack, the directing, and the overall story is pure perfection!
½ August 8, 2016
Very arguably the best animated Batman movie.
August 7, 2016
Boring and predictable with a romance that feels shoehorned. One of the worst Batman animated films. Only good part was Mark Hamill's Joker and even he couldn't save this mess. Didn't live up to the hype at all.
August 3, 2016
Better than I thought but the pace in this film was shocking, Too many flashbacks and they over complicated the plot but the last 20 minutes were very good and the voice cast were good too, But for its short run time it does tend to drag allot.
½ August 1, 2016
Very underrated. When people talk about the best batman films this one always gets overlooked. But it's a great little old school noir.
July 27, 2016
An all time animation masterpiece, we see a side of Batman we've never seen before, a more human, tormented side, seeking for happiness and a normal life, a brilliant superhero story.
July 22, 2016
Who ever thought an animated superhero movie was a good idea? Probably not that many people in the'90s, as they were already used to all the live action comic book adaptations they had been receiving for years. Additionally, the film's marketing campaign did not consist of all that much advertising at all, causing it to fly under the radar and perform underwhelmingly at the box office.

But more and more people are discovering this movie every passing year, and they're finding that, well, it's a really good Batman film. It has its flaws, for sure, but I can guarantee that the majority of Batman fans and non-fans alike will be able to find something in Mask of the Phantasm.

One minor negative I had with this film is a certain lack of emotional stakes. Personally, I simply often find it hard to take action seriously in cartoon movies, as it is seldom done very well. For me, Phantasm at times worked in this aspect, and other times didn't deliver the thrills I wanted it to.

However, that's just my opinion. And generally speaking, it doesn't bother me that much, because the story and the characters are so perfectly crafted in this film that you can't help but feel the same feeling that 1989's Batman and 2008's The Dark Knight left you with.

And is it as good as The Dark Knight? No, because that movie is pretty much the perfect superhero movie. But is it as terrible as Batman & Robin? Of course not. However, I do think it's the best animated Batman movie, and I'd also say it's even better than both Batman Returns and Batman Forever. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a clever, innovative animated film that I had a lot of fun with. Though it can't really match the intensity of some slightly superior Batman movies, Phantasm is sure to entertain audiences everywhere, and marks a solid entry in the DC Comics canon.

July 18, 2016
This movie is what Batman is, this is Batman. Its cannon to the myths of Batman and its characters. This is a must see if you love the myths of the batman.