Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm Reviews

April 28, 2017
A underappreciated Batman movie and I highly recommend watching it
April 25, 2017
Batman the animated series is one of the all time great comic book tv shows. This film is a child of that show and it stands up to its predecessor. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil were born to play Batman and the Joker. The writing, directing and acting all are so great throughout this film. Bravo WB and DC!
March 22, 2017
Animated masterpiece!!!
½ March 12, 2017
Emotional, well written and voice acted as well as gorgeously animated, Mask of the Phantasm is one of the best batman movies ever.
½ March 12, 2017
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm marks the tremendous start to the impressive straight-to-DVD animated DC movies due to the incredible voice acting, the thrilling action sequences, and a narrative complexity that is rarely seen in modern movies, let alone animation.
February 24, 2017
Perhaps the only true "perfect" Batman film. Bruce Timm continues his work on capturing the dark and complex nature of the character with an engaging mystery.
February 21, 2017
The movie is fantastic! Great Animation with fantastic story & characters! Very action packed!
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
'Mask of the Phantasm' really isn't as good as it's made out to be. It features a great voice cast and good animation, but the movie sometimes felt like such a drag, and I simply couldn't get invested in the story.
February 18, 2017
To this day I still think this is one of the best written Batman movies of all time. If you like Batman, you need to see this if you haven't already. Show your kids and future generations. This is a near perfect Batman experience.
February 13, 2017
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm makes a much better TV special than it does a theatrical film. It's not cinematically written, animated or performed. It screams that you must watch the show before seeing the movie, something I did not. However, I can see why this has developed such a cult fan base, exactly like the show. The respect of the source material is astounding; any fan of the comics can see this taking place in the same world. The twist may be predictable, but the rest of the screenplay is simple and effective. It's nice to watch something that is less than 90 minutes, that doesn't feel rushed, once in a while. I would reccomend this to any lover of the show, and perhaps the most die-hard comic reader, but no one without former knowledge.
February 9, 2017
Sienta las bases de muhas cosasa que veriamos mas adelante. Probablemente el mejor audiovisuale del hombre murcielago. De obliigado visionado.
January 20, 2017
When I was a kid I would all ways rent this movie I liked it a lot and my opinion it's a Mistry movie and has good music and its kind of creepy but there are funny parts like with joker saying down Rusty and kicks the fake dog made out of Metal. That was one of my favorite line. It has a sad ending but still a good movie. I could watch this all day! I'm a fan of Batman and I do like the joker he is just so silly I laugh when joker says something funny. Can Batman stop joker and the Phantom? All that will be answered when you see this movie!! Like I said I love this movie a lot!! You know joker he is all ways laughing and up to fighting Batman. As for Batman he is all ways ready to save people and all ways ready to stop his enemies! Choose a side root for Batman or Joker or the Phantom.
January 3, 2017
The central mystery may fit the Scooby-Doo school of obvious, but this telling of Batman's origin with an extra twist from his indecisiveness in starting his mission, and how it eventually added to his drive, is powerful stuff. The atmosphere surrounding the antagonist and the way the odds are continually stacked against our hero are also impressive, but all this is sadly let down by an underwhelming climax.
November 18, 2016
Growing up as a kid of the 90's this movie was a hit in our house. We had it on vhs and watched it numerous times. A great movie a instant classic with a phenomenal score. A pure treat.
October 8, 2016
Boasting stunning art direction, amazing action sequences, spectacular voice acting from its cast with Mark Hamill stealing the show as the Joker and a darker and deeper tone than the live-action movies, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is one of the best Batman films to date.
September 25, 2016
I'd put this among the very best of Batman movies, and Conroy is the BEST BATMAN!
September 24, 2016
Rarely have I seen a comic-book-animated film with such a sharp, flowing script like Mask of the Phantasm. It's packed with expertly timed comic relief, detailed dialogue, emotional depth, and 3-dimensional characters. Even with its intricate, deep story containing multiple subplots, it never feels disjointed, convoluted or bloated, remaining intriguing, involving and smartly paced from start to finish. Based on my favorite Batman cartoon The Animated Series, Mask of the Phantasm is honestly the best animated Dark Knight film I've seen yet.
September 19, 2016
This is the Batman that I wish we were getting on the big screen right now. I just love how he genuinely acts as a detective piecing together clues, and he flat out refuses to kill people. He also didn't have an artificial Batman voice that sounded like someone who had just finished gargling gravel, thanks to the superb work by Kevin Conroy. In fact, the voice work throughout the film was second to none, particularly Conroy as Bruce/Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker. I also couldn't get enough of the score. Composer Shirley Walker did some remarkable things with the music and helped to intensify the atmosphere and also amp up the excitement of action scenes. I never watched the animated series (I haven't watched that many cartoons since I was a child) but the look of the film was solid. At times it seems a little too goofy, considering how dark they are trying to set the tone, but I think it gels fairly well.

Zack Snyder could have taken a lesson from Mask of the Phantasm to learn how to remind the audience of the death of the Waynes and what that means to Bruce. With nothing more than a picture on the wall and a visit to the grave we 100% understand without needing to see pearls falling to the ground again. However, the story-telling in Mask of the Phantasm wasn't always that solid and concise. I had some significant problems with the way the movie constantly jumped back-and-forth in time. If they were thinking about it more, they would have included a simple visual cue that would clue us into whether we were watching the past or the present. It's not a good sign when you have a film-viewer like myself being tempted to pause at the beginning of each new scene in order to figure out where we were in the timeline. The twist at the end is easy for most people to guess, but I didn't mind all that much because they cast suspicion on enough people that the reveal could have been different, so it was still a solid mystery.

There is a romance plot in the film which was necessary to the story, but I wasn't really convinced of their affection for one another. I think that stems from the fact that the movie skipped over some of the courtship moments in their relationship and just expected the audience to accept that the love was there. I was surprised that the movie left things relatively open and unresolved at the end, but I assume that was intended so that the story could fold back into the animated series. One opportunity that I feel like they missed was the chance to have Batman in a position where he's forced to defend the Joker. Because of his vow not to kill (or let people die) they had the chance to create a much stronger moment by putting the Joker's life on the line instead of Andrea. If Batman was given no alternative than to save his arch nemesis it would be marvelous. That's not to say the movie was bad for not doing what I wanted, I just saw the squandered potential for greatness. The film was a gem, though. It is definitely well-made and I'd say it's better than at least 3 live action movies starring Batman.
September 5, 2016
This overlooked gem goes up there with The Dark Knight and Batman (1989) as one of the best Batman movies ever made