Batman: Mask of the Phantasm Reviews

• Oct 24, 2020

A feature-length version of the Batman animated series but with a deeper look into the mind of Bruce Wayne. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a hidden gem of a movie that I'm glad to have found. It's a remarkable film that's well-paced and a solid stand-alone. The script, character development, and plot alone make this a Batman film watching. Its complexity can make it rival even some of its live-action counterparts. ...Though I did feel that Mark Hamill's Joker, as great as he may be, was a bit shoved in the movie for no good reason. 3.5/5.

• Sep 29, 2020

I loved the animation in this. It's beautiful and it holds up even almost three decades later. The story is simple and that's welcome, though I wasn't a big fan of the love story. Still, it's honestly probably the best Batman movie released to this point.

• Sep 08, 2020

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is one of those movies that gets forgotten when talking about the great films of the Caped Crusader, but it really is well done. It features a very capable voice cast and an engaging storyline with drama, high stakes, and plenty of action. It may feel like a long episode of the animated series (because it kind of is), but it's one that any Batman fan should enjoy.

• Sep 06, 2020

I will be debating whether this or Dark Knight as the best Batman Film. The story is really great, love how every character connects to the story, even Joker has reasons to appear all of a sudden. They hold some info and reveal them later on, they didn't make this film only for a child audience. The dark grittiness was well done, Bruce's issues and fantastic ending on the theme of Vengeance. I predicted who would be the Villain simply because I am also watching the series and they always explore villain side of the story. I really wanted that Phantasm to be that person and they got it right, no cons counted even if I knew.

• Sep 05, 2020

As much as I love batman i love this movie

As much as I love batman i love this movie

• Sep 04, 2020

Unique and extremely enjoyable.

Unique and extremely enjoyable.

• Aug 31, 2020

Decent watch, but wouldn't watch again, and can't recommend. I was riding a nostalgia train, hoping I'd get some of that good 90's cartoon Batman, and I got it, but it was in a weird way. Maybe not "The Killing Joke" weird, but it is still weird to see cartoon Batman get it on (with another redhead too). The story is weak, it completely feels like different writers than the 90's show were involved and created a story of which they are very proud, and then had the animation team handle it. It doesn't feel like the same show, and has all the telltale beats of an average live action movie. Creating a new character like the Phantasm would be awesome if it was introduced in an episode and the story arc stretched out over a season, but to cram it an hour and half, it is such a cheap version of what it could be, I wouldn't have even bothered as it removes the option to do it correctly later. It was kind of nice to see the Joker, but if you're going to have him make an appearance, he might as well be the focus of the movie. Ultimately, any story that is more about Bruce Wayne than Batman outside the comics is just not going to be that entertaining.

• Aug 31, 2020

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm shows an emotional side to Bruce seen through his relationship with Andrea Beaumont. These emotions see him battling between having a normal life and fighting crime. A fantastic movie that takes a deeper approach into the Batman character.

• Jul 23, 2020

Perfection! Loved the story, animation, and voice actors. I loved how you got a great Batman story and his Origin from the animated universe. Overall, amazing movie!

• Jul 09, 2020

One of the greatest batman films ever, it is emotional action packed and extremely engaging.