Batman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Returns Reviews

December 18, 2017
This sequel did get more gothic than the last one. It was overall a good movie
December 6, 2017
Gotham never felt better and the star power in this one is off the charts. Danny Devito's portrayal of the penguin is the best to date and Keaton is still the best Batman on film. If this movie makes it's way back to big screen nation wide it could gross well over 100 million and give die hard fans a very good treat.
½ December 1, 2017
Flawed but still enjoyable adaptation of Batman, that while doesn't hold up as well in comparison to the "Dark Knight Trilogy", has a style that can't be denied. Keaton continues his solid work from the first one but receives mixed support from the cast. Danny DeVito is atrocious as the Penguin, playing him as a disgusting monster over the suave crime boss in the comics, and you never buy he can trick Gotham into voting for him as mayor. Thankfully, Michelle Pfieffer is electrifying as Catwoman, lighting up the screen ever moment she's on it (even her early moments as a bumbling secretary are hilarious). She even livens up Keaton, as the two show nice romantic chemistry and reminds everyone Catwoman is the best love interest for Batman (hence, why they're now engaged in the comics). Behind the camera, Tim Burton crafts a stylized & beautiful version of Batman that improves over the original and makes great use of the Christmas theme (Gotham looks gorgeous in the snow). However, the story is inconsistent and goes a bit out there at times (the image of an army of Penguins with rockets on their backs is ridiculous). There is a hint of the supernatural, which is interesting, especially with Catwoman suddenly turning into an acrobatic villain, along with seemingly being unable to die. Plus, Danny Elfman actually improves on his brilliant score from the first film. Overall, a flawed and not accurate Batman film, but enjoyable nonetheless. Plus, this & "Iron Man 3" are the only superhero Christmas movies we got so far.
½ November 24, 2017
A dark mood, incredible acting, Tim Burton's touch and two villains that don't feel forced in, this film works even if they are penguins with missile launchers attached to them
November 21, 2017
This is truly Burton's Batman film, hell it's a good comic booky movie, but maybe not a great Batman movie. This isn't really a Batman movie, this is not the character I love.

Keaton and Pfiefer are electric every time they're on screen together.
½ November 17, 2017
Perfect in every way!! Love love love!! More Catwoman though as she amazing
November 3, 2017
Would be perfect if not for gross Danny DeVito.
October 20, 2017
Batman Returns was better then the Original from 1998 Batman. I found this movie to be a bit funny and the cast to the movie was well done Michael Keaton
Played Batman, Danny DiVito played Penguin and Michelle Pfeiffer played Cat Woman.

My favorite part was Penguin is on his Duck Boat coming through the sewers with his umbrella witch is a gun and says my babies did you miss me ho did you miss me!! Great speech Oswald Penguin pushed his partner with his( umbrella) my name is not Oswald!!!!! I am Penguin I am not a human being!!!! I am a animal, Crank the AC!! Where is my lists? Give me the names of the first born sons of Gotham City just like I was. And like me a terrible fate awaits theme.( He passes the lists) and tonight while their parents party they will be dreaming away in their safe cribs there soft beds and we will snatch them and bring Theme in the sewer!! And Toss them in to a deep dark watery grave!! Penguin? Henchmen said I mean killing sleeping children isn't that a little uh". Penguin) growls and then Penguin takes a umbrella ) and shoots his own man Henchman. Penguin pushes Henchman"s dead body in to the sewer water and says no it's a lot!!!

I like how Batman was fighting Penguin and (Penguin said all it comes down to is the Umbrella. Or when Penguin said you really don't really exasperate to win do you!! So see the funny parts see the good action in the movie, I'm all about this movie.
Cat woman was funny how she said I need a bath and licks her self.
October 10, 2017
Tim Burton's best Batman movie, Batman Returns is a funky, dark, and very weird movie. There were one too many subplots though.
October 7, 2017
A great film that was way ahead of it's day that says more about the human condition than most straight films today. A classic Burton film.
½ October 5, 2017
she became catwoman by falling from a window that sound right to me ,becoming a super villian by falling
½ October 4, 2017
Depressing but fine.
September 23, 2017
If movies like this could still happen these days, modern cinema would be fantastic. "Batman Returns" might not be as surprisingly good as the first one in the franchise, but it offers better and longer action sequences, a good sidekick for Batman, the bad and lovely Catwoman, and one hell of a villain played masterfully by Danny DeVito, The Penguin. He might not be as funny and entertaining as Nicholson's The Joker, but he's more sadistic and violent. "Batman Returns" is, in the end, one of the better super-hero sequels.
½ September 19, 2017
After the first Tim Burton Batman movie was such a big success, when Warner Bros. put Tim Burton in the director's chair for the sequel they allowed him full range to do whatever he wanted with this picture. The result is a very creepy, very weird, and very dark Batman movie - a little too much for me. Danny DeVito's penguin isn't charming or scary he's just... vile and disgusting. Catwoman is just sort of there, not serving much of a purpose in the story. But Michael Keaton is still great as the Dark Knight. I like Tim Burton, but he does have a reputation for being a very unique director, sometimes in ways that are just to obscure for my taste.
½ September 11, 2017
(3.5/5). A much better film than Batman 89'; the story is much more interesting, the script gives its characters more to do (ESPECIALLY BRUCE WAYNE), and the addition of Catwoman does bump up the quality, this one still has some significant flaws. Though the script gives the characters more meat to chew on, their motivations are bit jumbled by the third act of the movie, which is entertaining visually but logically doesn't make much sense. However Keaton's excellent Batman, DeVito's PERFECT Penquin, and Michelle's great Catwoman do make this a solid sit. Its a shame we never got to see the third Burton Batman.
½ September 7, 2017
second fav batman movie
September 3, 2017
Tim Burton's follow-up is every bit as good as the original and maybe then some. Michael Keaton reprises his role as the Caped Crusader, and we are given an even darker tone to his persona here. Michelle Pfeiffer is the perfect Catwoman and Danny DeVito makes for a funny and terrifying Penguin. The action moves at a rapid pace and the story plays out in majestic fashion. Christopher Walken is a devilish delight as the cruel Max Schreck.
August 19, 2017
Another masterpiece!
½ August 8, 2017
Entertaining comic book pulp, highlighted by the great performance of Michelle Pfieffer as CatWoman. No one else who's played this role, and there have been many, comes close. Meow