Batman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Returns Reviews

½ June 22, 2017
I love this movie I think Michael Keaton is a great Batman and Michelle Pfeiffer rock as Catwoman.
June 19, 2017
With A Superb Cast And Style, Batman Returns Is A Dark, Fantastic Sequel To Tim Burton's Batman.
June 19, 2017
Even better than the first Tim Burton Batman film, Batman Returns has more characters, story, fight sequences and much much more. Its a great sequel!
½ June 15, 2017
Objectively a better movie than it's predecessor. But a movie that somehow manages to misunderstand what makes Batman a great character, even more than the first. However, this movie has significantly improved direction from Burton over his previous entry in the franchise.
June 14, 2017
Tim Burton can be argued as the first director to chose ambition over toy sales in its superhero movie that pushes the Batman closer to his comic mythology of darkness. A dark tale in the perfect juxtaposition of taking place during Christmas, as well as having one of the most memorable villain portrayals of all time. The nightmares this movie gave me as a kid were worth it indeed.
June 6, 2017
beautiful, bizarre and brooding. It's Tim Burton's imagination unleashed
June 2, 2017
Michelle Pfeiffer is the only reason this is the best "Batman" movie so far.
May 28, 2017
I liked it, but...superhero movies rarely get this dark. I was expecting The Adams Family to make a cameo.
½ May 27, 2017
This is why you don't let Tim Burton have complete control over these types of movies.
May 20, 2017
A bit too dark for kids, I will add, but god is it entertaining!
½ May 15, 2017
With good casting and a decent script, Batman Returns succeeded in improving over Tim Burton's 1989 Batman film with a solid home run on the storytelling with this installment.
½ May 4, 2017
forever one of the best
½ April 16, 2017
Batman Returns has lots of gorgeous effects of flair with Michael Keaton, Danny Devito, And.... Chris Walken!
½ April 13, 2017
I may be in the minority, but I think Tim Burton's second Batman film is much worse and an absolutely dreadful comic book movie.

First of all, I like Keaton, Pfiefer, and Devito's performances. However, once again, the villains overshadow Batman and don't do it in an entertaining way like Jack Nicholson. I found the film unnecessarily dark.

The action is okay, but the film is so boring to me, with performances being the only highlight.
March 25, 2017
A great but flawed sequel
½ March 23, 2017
Pretty good, honestly. Much darker and more violent than the first, but almost better in a way. Catwoman is a good villain.
March 20, 2017
I understand why Batman gets such little screentime & dialogue in both Burton's depictions of the Dark Knight. It's a way of portraying his nature - Batman is very secretive & 'lurks in the shadows' rather than bursting under the spotlight seeking attention. However, Keaton's absence from the screen sometimes seems soo drastic that for large portions of time I forgot he was even in the film. Even the brilliant Christopher Walken manages to make himself more memorable than Batman, with a character who never appeared in any of the comics. That is not to take away anything from Keaton, who delivers another level-headed performance, remaining the best Batman/Bruce Wayne before Christian Bale.
Ultimately the film takes a step back from it's predecessor & appears quite limp in it's vision & finale (penguins with rockets?). & despite a brilliant & twisted portrayal of The Penguin from DeVito, we all know he is no match for Batman & Burton only prolongs the film till it's inevitable outcome.
Catwoman remains the most memorable element of the movie, but her back-story is quickly summed up & with little screentime in comparison with Penguin there is therefore little reason for her being in the film.
It is the best of the sequels, but as with Schumacher's poorly realized follow-ups, this fails to match the 1989 original.
½ March 12, 2017
I always assumed that the reason Burton didn't continue was because Batman Returns was a schlocky, campy, stupid mess full of Burton cliches and more scenery-chewing than a colony of termites in a prop warehouse. The story was weak-sauce, the costuming was like Donatella Versace exploded all over the Addams Family house, the whole look of the props and scenery was comically fake, the acting was laughable, and the movie commits the cardinal sin of completely wasting Christopher Walken.

They might as well have gone through with plans to cast Eddie Murphy as Robin. It couldn't have hurt. Once you get Danny DeVito spewing black shiat from his mouth while making crude sexual jokes and standing around in his soiled underwear, and Michelle Pfeiffer offering perhaps the most excruciatingly cliche Catwoman performance ever put to film (with dialogue that would have made Julie Newmar groan at the banal level of pussy-related puns), you might as well have Eddie Murphy just reprise his Axel Foley character for a comedic take on Robin.

If I never see Batman Returns again, it will be too soon. The only good things about it were Keaton's performance (despite the shiatty dialogue) and Gough's ability to remain somewhat respectable despite being knee-deep in black-and-white-striped Burton droppings.
March 11, 2017
Believe it or not, I like Joel Schumacher's Batman Forever more than this movie and here's why. All the mistakes of the first film are made even worse in this film as the story is so cluttered and so unfocused with its 3 new characters Penguin(Danny DeVito) and Catwoman(Michelle Pfeiffer) and Max Shreck(Christopher Walken) that Batman gets very little screen time! That's so unacceptable to have Batman put aside while half of the movie is given to the villains with confusing motives. Overall the main problem was that Tim Burton had too much control and made this film way too adult and dark this time to appeal to children and adults like the first. But what were the good aspects? Burton still nails the visuals and the performances are great so I still enjoy watching this film but I was still disappointed in the end so I am giving it a 3/5.
March 10, 2017
Penguin makes a very good villain in this movie I like how he hides in the sewers and he has live Penguins with him he is pretty creepy Danny Devito that played penguin was good. Cat woman played by Michelle Pfeiffer was a good villain she was quite an acrobat on her fighting skills and doing backflips. If your a fan of bat man check this out!

My favorite line Is when Penguin is coming through the sewers on his duck boat with his umbrella witch is a gun, and said, My babies did you miss me oh did you miss me!! Great speech Oswald. Penguin pushes his partner with an (umbrella) yelling. My name is not Oswald!!! It's Penguin!!! I'm not a human being I'm an animal!! Cold blooded!!! Crank the AC!! where are my lists? Give me the names it's time!! These are the name of the first born sons of Gotham City. Just like I was. And like me terrible fate awaits them. ( he passes out lists ) and to night while their parents party they'll be dreaming away in there safe cribs and there soft beds. We will snatch them Carry them in the sewer!! And toss them into a deep dark watery grave!! Penguin? Henchman said, I mean killing sleeping children isn't that a little uh". (penguin shoots his own person named Henchman, with a umbrella) No it's a lot!! ( Penguin kicks his Henchman"s Dead body in the water)