Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 Reviews

August 24, 2013
A solidly entertaining adventure that's tremendously respectful to its material. It's a sharp, thrilling and action-packed first part to this two part comic adaptation.
February 25, 2013
Not as good as Under the Red Hood for my money, but a step up from Year One. The plot takes awhile to get going and the lack of a proper back story robs it of some much needed motivation towards the beginning because how things got to this point would be interesting to know without having to re-read the whole Batman mythology. It's not like we need a huge background check, just a little reminder like they did in Under the Red Hood. The plot is not one of the strong points, especially since this ends on a cliffhanger and has that incomplete feeling Part 1's tend to have. The mutants are not particularly the best of villains for Batman even though their leader is certainly his equal in terms of muscle power. It does have some decent animation and brutal action sequences that are bloody and intense. Not for little kids in other words. The news segments carried over from the graphic novel simply do not work and feel tacked on. The vocal performances are alright, but not as good as past entries. There's potential here for an even better Part 2 and I certainly hope that is the case. Part 1 is watchable and with a promise of bigger things to come, I am certainly looking forward to Part 2.
December 24, 2012
Unlike "Under the Red Hood" (which was a huge disappointment) TDKR lives up to it's legendary comic-book source. The atmosphere of Miller's work is really emphasized here in the stylization and music.

Weller's also a welcome voice actor to the Batman name! Again no Conroy but there's a distinctness to his voice that Greenwood didn't have that I really enjoyed. I think he makes a phenomenal Bruce but there's a "gentlemen" like quality to his voice that he doesn't really bother compensating for when he dons the hood. I wish he'd lower his tone and growl more at times, I mean, he's an angry old man!

The animation is top notch, I mean, not Japanese good but at least the stylization was nice and dark with a use of bold blacks again reminiscent of Bruce Timm's Batman: TAS.

The dialogue and script is perfect, but that's credible to Miller not so much the studio behind the movie; then again I'm glad to see them not fuck up the pacing. :]

A great watch, can't wait for part 2!
½ October 1, 2012
Old heroes never die. They just get darker.

Great! Keep em coming Batman! Animation was excellent, the Tone was perfect and when watching this Animated Movie, I felt completely drawn in to the world that Frank Miller had created back in 1986. The movie was amazing and I cannot wait until Part two comes out. The second half of part 1 really set the tone for part two and it really leaves the viewer in anticipation - with a big smile...

Batman has not been seen for ten years. A new breed of criminal ravages Gotham City, forcing 55-year-old Bruce Wayne back into the cape and cowl. But, does he still have what it takes to fight crime in a new era?
September 15, 2012
The Dark Knight Returns, is for me, the best Batman film of the year. The animation is superb, especially when the action kicks off. It sees Bruce Wayne return to crime fighting after a 10 year absence. Unlike his Nolan counterpart however, he was Batman for a damn sight longer than just a year. His return is depicted as an obsession that finally grabs control and pulls him in. He barely even notices it when he shaves off his mustache as it just becomes a natural part of the process. A new threat, called The Mutants, rises in Gotham, and Batman has to sort them out. His age becomes his weakness as he must go up against the leader of The Mutants. he film is littered with cuts to TV shows and newscasts discussing whether or not Batman is a help or a hindrance. Peter Weller does a great job as the voice of Batman, and it's nice to see a Batman with a dark and dangerous sense of humour. As an adaptation it remains fairly close to the source material, but manages to capture the ferocity of the violence without being too graphic. Gotham looked and felt exactly how I remember it when I was growing up. This is great stuff, and is a huge tease for Part 2, where we will see The Joker once again.
September 19, 2012
The best animated Batman movie there is.
March 5, 2013
Achingly good adaptation of the classic graphic-novel. Can't wait for part 2!
½ December 29, 2012
Lots of fun. I was grinning ear to ear just watching it. It's a great adaptation that stays close to the source material. It is up there as one of my favorite batman films.
½ September 15, 2012
A dark and gritty Batman animated film with an older Bruce Wayne as Batman. But he takes less crap than usual and more like Batman if Dirty Harry wore the costume.This is superb, so check it out.
October 9, 2014
It is a near-flawless animated version of Frank Miller's classic tale from the late 80s that spawned the Tim Burton and latest incarnation of Batman. It's long overdue for this story to have been told, though I would have preferred a cinematic version. However, this animated version is reminiscent of the HBO Spawn series, which remains the most underrated animated series ever. Very well done. I look forward to part 2.
August 23, 2014
Beautifully translates Frank Miller's game-changing graphic novel of the same name. Director Jay Oliva really captures the essence of what made that novel so captivating, and he reveals how timeless the issues addressed in it are. With a great voice cast, especially Peter Weller who portrays Wayne as a battered and cynical old man who is trying to rebuild hope in a dying city. It's much too violent for younger viewers, but for fans of the graphic novel, like myself, you will find plenty to enjoy about this first installment. Can't wait for Part 2.
½ February 7, 2014
This is the comic that made me return to reading the medium in the first place. I had not realized that the story lines had become much more closely to reality. Not just with The Batman, but also Green Arrow (Longbow hunters), and Green Lantern (which later became The Spector). I am greatly disappointed that it was not a live action movie, but I do appreciate the movie being done. Now all we need is Martha Washington"s story to be told!
November 21, 2013
Sweden netfix vpn. 55 year old batman comes out of retirement to clean up gotham. 2 part show. real good watch based off the graphic novel. Robin is a girl, lana lang is old and fat, jesus is black, ronald regan is the devil and commissioner gordon is lying about the joker.
½ October 27, 2013
Frank MIller's masterpiece gets a faithful adaptation in all it's brutal glory; An aging Bruce Wayne returns as Batman in a crime-ridden Gotham City, facing the newly released Harvey Dent and the leader of the city's newest threat.
September 29, 2013
A great adaptation of Frank Miller's acclaimed graphic novel or a brilliant continuation of the 80s segment of the TAS episode "Legends of the Dark Knight"? Why not both? Massive props go to the casting department for matching what was seen and heard in that segment with what's on display here, although it's not as close together as the episode made it seem. Peter Weller is fantastic as an aging Bruce Wayne, and Ariel Winter (of "Modern Family") is pretty good as Carrie/Robin. The story is well adapted, and the end is a perfect setup for part 2, although fans of Batman Beyond may kick up a fuss about where that fits compared to this (answer: it doesn't, it's a different continuity, shut up). Even the weak Two-Face reveal gets some credit for dramatic impact, which gives this a rating of "Bat-tastic".
December 25, 2012
Dark, gritty and everything else you'd want a Batman movie to be. The theatrical division should be seeking out the Direct to DVD division for tips on making good movies.
May 19, 2013
Adapted from Frank Millers comic book, this shows us a Batman coming back from retirement, and he can still kick ass.
April 23, 2013
It's an interesting twist on the Dark Knight and his story, especially the part about Harvey Dent. As always, this Batman movie is much more psychologically focused than most superhero movies, making it much more thought-provoking and leaving you wanting to see it again for more than just the action.
½ October 19, 2012
Phenomenal, I especially loved the dark knights voice, and the art. I can't wait for part 2. But as a stand alone this movie was still epic and didn't leave the viewer hanging on the proverbial ledge with empty anticipation