Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 Reviews

½ August 22, 2017
It's a Batman movie. But this time, instead of Batman being pretty young, he's pretty old.
½ August 19, 2017
Good movie. Very entertaining.
Rating: 7.9/10.
½ August 19, 2017
The Dark Knight Returns brilliantly brings to life one of Batman's most iconic, dark and tormented story arc.
½ July 9, 2017
As someone that has been a batman fanatic since I was 6, I love to finally see a batman movie that (for me) is up there with the dark knight. It's just a shame that it was an animated movie not live action.
June 21, 2017
I was skeptical of the need to make this graphic novel into two films, but Part 1 justifies itself as a stand alone story whilst threading a brilliant set-up line for the second part. As an adaptation it is impressive how moments are expanded and the gaps are filled in between the panels to provide motion in clever ways, capturing much of the iconic imagery. The vocal performances are all a bit similar, being on the growly end of things, but they are talented, and Weller makes a great elder Batman with an echo of Adam West that works far better than it should given the tonal difference between their two versions of the character. The important thing is that the visuals and voices tell the great story of the comic and through this interpretation it remains clear why it's so highly regarded.
June 19, 2017
The time when i used to see the Batman was just full of exciting scenes, while this movie makes me respect him as a true hero. The Batman deserves to be appreciated and respected. I can say if you are aware of what I am saying, you are the true fan of him.
June 16, 2017
This is the greatest adaptation of any graphic novel as it literally takes every picture in the novel and glues it on the screen.
June 7, 2017
Excellent. Does the book justice (no pun intended).
April 19, 2017
Amazing! 100% ??! One of the best movies ever!
April 7, 2017
#1 ???????? ??????? ???????? ?????????. ????????? ?????? ??? ????? ????????? ?? ??????.
March 14, 2017
Probably the best adaptation of Batman since Mask Of The Phantasm.
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
It's not awful, but the first part of this adaptation of Frank Miller's much loved comic book, for the most part, moves at a very slow pace, with way too much set up and exposition than it needs. It's basically a drawn out teaser for part 2.
½ February 14, 2017
One of the greatest outings DC animation has ever produced. The storytelling to get Bruce Wayne back into the cape and cowl is amazing. The mutants stranglehold on Gotham forces the return of the Batman once again. Storyline B with the Joker becoming interested in crime again is also amazing. Great adaptation from comic to film.
February 8, 2017
Great animation and action but a few disappointments and unnecessary acts just make it good enough. This comic book adaption based off the Dark Knight Returns is not great but good because of a few things. 1 disappointment was Robin was a girl now i know its part of the comic but its about the movie not comic. Anyways robin is robin except a girl its nice to see a female robin but its an okay disappointment. One good thing is the animation with water flying, lightning striking, blood spattering, its well designed in many ways. The animation is one of the great things the movie offers and brings the movie to life. Another bad thing is the fights between Batman and the mutant leader they are action packed but thats not the problem. The second fight was unnecessary because batman is just beating and nearing killing him batman doesn't kill. Another good thing is the last 2 fights you may be thinking "didn't you say you they are confusing?" Yes i did i never said the fight sequence was bad. They are entertaining as one of the best animated batman movie fights in my opinion! They are fun to watch especially to animated fight fans or violent fans. (i am none but a little bit) So my conclusion: Action-packed, disappointing, beautifully animated, confusing, and just plain entertainment. 3 stars 78%
½ January 13, 2017
It's good movie to watch
jamrcla
January 12, 2017
A good story and some pretty violent action all works well but I didn't enjoy the voice cast and it was pretty slow in places that really ruined this for me, It did get better and better but for some reason I couldn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping for.
½ January 8, 2017
It's not often you get to see a animated film of this quality DC actually has a good amount of animated titles (Under the Redhood , Batman Year One , Justice League Crisis On Two Earths , Flashpoint) that i feel should have gone for a wide theatrical release. I loved this movie its essientially a exact film remake of the Frank Miller graphic novel which is one of my all time favorite Batman stories. The animation is quite impressive at how much it mimics the graphic novel artwork. Definitely worth the watch and may even buy this one.
December 22, 2016
this is a bloodier, much more mature version of Batman
it's the first half of a two-parter chronicling Bruce Wayne's absence and resurgence as the Dark Knight
he's aging, a bit slower but can't escape the fact that Gotham still needs a protector
Gotham is being overrun by the mutant gangs, Commissioner Gordon is retiring, and Robin is gone
even a new and upcoming female Robin wants to help Batman
but he still faces public scrutiny; does Batman inspire people to save the city or fall into vigilante thinking? is he ultimately responsible for creating the very insane villains that he puts away?
there's no easy answer so Bruce takes it upon himself to get things done
an ok start
November 26, 2016
Using the endless amounts of creativity animation has to offer, Warner Bros. Animation manages to craft an intense Batman movie that serves as a showcase for interesting social commentary as well as the hard-knuckled action we've come to expect from the animated Batman movies.
½ October 26, 2016
A decent adaptation of the classic graphic novel even when the translation doesn't exactly work on screen.