Bats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bats Reviews

May 30, 2015
A great little B-movie. Fun to riff MST3K-style.
October 2, 2014
Creature Features Had Died In The 50's Before A Massive Resurgence In The 90's, This Is One of The Better Creature Features Since Their Re-Instatement Into The Horror Genre. In True 50's B-Movie Horror Style, The Creatures Have Been Genetically Modified In Some Way Which Makes Them More Deadly. This One Concerns Bats, A Small Town Is Attacked By Genetically Modified Bats, But When These Bats Come Into Contact With Normal Bats, They Pass On The Mutation, Multiplying Them In Large Numbers. It's Up To The Sheriff & A Bat Expert To Tackle The Problem. Featuring A Decently Written Script, Some Nice 50's Style Effects & A Few Creature Feature Clichés, This Is One Film Which Doesn't Fail To Entertain Fans Of 50's Horror Cinema. The Only Thing Missing However Is That It Hasn't Really Got Any Scenes Which Are Unintentionally Funny.
½ October 31, 2013
Poorly made creature feature in the Gremlins/Ghoulies vein that's not scary or gory enough.
½ October 29, 2013
Cheesy as all hell, and on so many levels. It deserves a lower rating, but nostalgia gets to the guilty pleasure level for me.
August 6, 2013
It should have been awful. Instead, it's merely mediocre and, as a consequence, not a whole lot of fun.
June 26, 2013
Bats that suddenly started killing people in packs. That's pretty much all the film has to offer.
March 7, 2013
An unnamed Texas town has a big problem. It is under the threat of a very large pack of genetically altered bats, specifically the breed known as flying foxes.

A bat expert (Dina Meyer), her assistant (Leon) and the town's opera-loving sheriff (Lou Diamond Phillips) join forces to try to destroy the bats before it's too late.

The first thing you will notice is that this movie, which is obviously a B-movie, is that it is pretty creepy. The bats, which look like they are made of rubber at times, are very ugly and shot in dim light to make them creepy. The bats are also well constructed puppets which moved pretty realistically.

The acting is fairly good in the movie. Meyers and Phillips are easily the best of the cast. The supporting cast of characters is not written strongly. In fact some of the characters are just there to help advance the plot, and do not much else.

One of the things that really help in the movie's creepiness is the editing. During the bat attacks, you see quick flashes of bats coming at the camera as if the bat is coming at you. If this movie was done better with a bigger budget, the bat attack scenes would have been better.

If you ask me, this could be a pretty good second choice for a rental if your first choice is unavailable.
January 29, 2013
Aww damn! I cannot see it. Because it's rated R & PG-13. :(
January 25, 2013
Genre film that opts to do nothing new and do the routine poorly. Boring "B" movie that has literally only one scene that managed to entertain in the way it should. I will say that it's kind of nostalgic because I remember watching this when I was 9 and not liking it then either.
½ January 22, 2013
I saw this. That alone should keep me from ever getting married.
½ November 6, 2012
Not a bad cast for a mutated animal movie. they all do a fair job for the weak script. The bats were pretty well done although some of it i did laugh at. the street scene was clearly a nod to 'the birds' but this is not like that film at all. this was okay and at least somebody tired something outer than crocodiles and sharks.
½ October 24, 2012
feels like a low budget made for cable dirrect to video blunder.
½ August 28, 2012
One of the worst films ever made imo.
August 27, 2012
April 28, 2012
Saw it... It's in my top ten worst movies ever...
April 22, 2012
just a bad movie it lets you down at eveyrhting that transpires if it was taken of the face of the earth and never seen again no one would miss it
April 15, 2012
I thought this would be a fun creature flick but sadly it is boring and just pointless. The characters are very one dimensional
½ April 11, 2012
Bats is horribly directed, horribly acted, not scary, nor creepy, and the CGI for a 1999 film is terrible. Terrible action sequence and the only reason why I didn't give it a zero is because of Lou Diamond Phillips.
½ April 7, 2012
Bats are totally scary and deserve their own horror film. I mean seriously they could bite you. Then, you would get rabies. Then, in like a year you would start showing signs of it. Then, you would fall into a bat cave, and like the bat poop is bad for your lungs or something...right?