Battle Circus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battle Circus Reviews

January 23, 2014
One of Bogey's bogeys. The brooding love story isn't as interesting as it might be, nor is the action around it, although for fans of the television series MASH this certainly holds some interest as the themes and location are the same.
November 9, 2012
Nothing is for always.

A new nurse joins the military and is sent to Korea during a time of high casualties. She is paired with a surgeon that quickly wants to get in her pants. She falls in love with him but decides to reluctantly date him to a point and draws a line in the sand when he won't open up to her and only appears to be about for sex. Is there a chance to fall in love or will she eventually give into his charm?

"Maybe whiskey is as part of our life as war."

Richard Brooks, director of Fever Pitch, Bite the Bullet, The Professionals, Deadline - USA, and The Catered Affair, delivers Battle Circus. The storyline for this picture was just okay but the character development was fairly solid and the acting was better than average. The cast includes Humphrey Bogart, June Allyson, Keenan Wynn, William Campbell, and Patricia Tiernan.

"You're about to wreck something beautiful."

I generally enjoy Humphrey Bogart pictures and decided to DVR this picture when I found it on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). This film is nothing special overall but does contains some great lines and interactions between characters. This isn't a bad film to watch if you're a fan of Bogart but you're not missing much if you skip it either.

"What are you thinking about?"
"You."
"That's good. At least you're not wasting your time."

Grade: C+/B-
October 19, 2012
bogies only mgm film
½ October 12, 2010
June Allyson has amazing chemistry with the dreamy Humphrey Bogart in this 1953 movie about a M.A.S.H. unit during the Korean War. For a black and white war movie, it has a pretty interesting story - that has very little to do with the wa, and heck of a lot t do with Bogarts hormones - a decent script and great actors. Battle Circus is a highly underrated film, that any Bogart fan should watch.
April 22, 2010
I'd avoided seeing this initially because it was rated so poorly on Imdb. Then I actually watched it. A pre-"MASH" movie about a MASH unit, backed by solid performances from Bogart, Allyson and Keenan Wynn. Allyson is not exactly a weighty actress, but the part doesn't demand that of her. Bogart's character starts off as a thinly veiled womanizer pushing the boundaries of harassment with Allyson. But about midway through, we begin to understand the character. He's seen one too many wars and lost one too many patients, reducing him to living from minute to minute, never planning, and avoiding too close human contact. Allyson of course brings him right out of that simply by loving him (isn't that how it works?). Fortunately, the film largely avoids cliche, either in the depictions of war and the aftermath of violence, or in the love story. She accepts that she loves him, whether it will be for a day or for a lifetime; and he likewise accepts that he can't hide from his own caring impulses. He sums it all up nearing the end, telling her 'I'll come find you. Not because I have to, but because I want to.'