The Battle of Shaker Heights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Battle of Shaker Heights Reviews

January 9, 2016
Maybe I'm a sucker for coming of age stories, but I liked this movie. Shia LaBeouf was a much better actor back in these earlier years, and I always enjoy seeing Elden Henson too. (First viewing - 7/28/2008)
½ December 30, 2015
An odd little indie spotlighting a teen who dislikes his father and re-enacts battles from past wars. Average performances by the actors, but one can't expect more when the story is so simple and the characters are merely marionettes that live only for the writers. Amy Smart and Shiri Appleby almost save this movie.
September 20, 2015
Shia carries what was probably a great script. It's a bit uneven because of the genre shift in the editing room, but in the end, to cap off season two of project greenlight, it really landed for me.
½ June 9, 2015
A cutesy emotional empty picture that demanded more from the empty script.
½ April 27, 2015
Pretty dumb, though kind of interesting. I like the military reenactment angle for a comedy, but they don't really use it to their advantage much to truly distinguish this film. The reenactment scene towards the end of the film is still pretty funny though.
September 16, 2014
This movie may have one of the worst covers ever, but the film itself was fantastic. I have realized that Shia LaBeouf is so fun to watch as long as he sticks with quirky, funny, nerdy characters like he plays in this film. He was hilarious and the movie had plenty of funny moments. It was very short and to the point without a lot of filler so it moved along at a nice pace and only at the end did it seem to lose some of its luster. There were some dramatic moments and a little lesson to be learned in the end, but overall this was a great film all around and anyone looking for a comedy with some heart, check this little know film out.
½ December 10, 2013
Nothing special in the directing or script; in fact, the film suffers a bit due to both. The acting, however, especially from LaBeouf, is heartfelt and honest, helping to keep the audience watching until the trite final scene.
July 27, 2013
Meh. Has good ideas, doesn't know where exactly to go with them. Some funny moments, decent writing, and an ok performance from LaBeouf.
½ May 28, 2013
There is comedy, but it's not funny and there is drama, but it comes off silly.
½ January 22, 2013
The end product is pretty good, but knowing what it was originally (a full blown dramedy), I really wish the dramatic elements had stayed in it. Shia before he became a big star; yes, he can act.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
October 7, 2012
some of this is fucking jokes
September 22, 2012
It wasn't a bad movie had some funny moment and Shia LaBeof played a pretty good role in it can can do a great job when he really wants to good movie
September 14, 2012
Sure it had it's bad points, but I thought the ending to this movie made the 2 hours of it's existences worth it. It's no Cabin in The Woods, but it's definitely not Jack and Jill.
May 27, 2012
Great characters, but the story is often too simple and the film comes off forgettable afterwards. Yet, I'd recommend watching it once, it's a fairly good movie and Shia LaBeouf acts far better here than he ever has in any of the Transformers movies he later did.
February 18, 2012
Cool I live in Shaker Heights!
January 19, 2012
"A funny thing just happened to me. I thought you were dead on the couch."

When you're 17, every day is war. With all the difficulties in his real life Kelly Ernsweiler finds himself in fantasy reenactments of World War II battles as his one true escape. He then strikes up in an unlikely friendship with a fellow reenactor, and Kelly's life is set to explode in ways he never expected! Released on August 22, 2003, 'The Battle Of Shaker Heights' was directed by Efram Potelle and Kyle Rankin and spun off from the HBO series 'Project Greenlight'. I only checked out this film for Shia LaBeouf, who did a really fine acting performance with his troubled personality that proved himself as an actor playing a war reenactor. His Even Stevens days now behind him, Shia also did Holes around the same time and was only years away from 'Transformers' that would make him more famous. And though I felt mostly drama throughout a fresh, original storyline it was in some ways funny even for a short running time of 79 minutes. Overall, I found this title great and would recommend it for the LaBeouf fans.
December 17, 2011
Outside of Shia and the war reenactments this was a typical formula movie with too much going on.
LWOODS04
September 22, 2011
Cast: Shia LaBeouf, Elden Henson, Amy Smart, Billy Kay, Kathleen Quinlan, William Sadler, Shiri Appleby, Ray Wise, Anson Mount

Director: Efram Potelle, Kyle Rankin

Summary: Teenaged Kelly (Shia LaBeouf) loves reenacting battles. When he befriends Bart (Elden Henson), also a war enthusiast, they decide to take on a school bully by using time-tested strategies. But their friendship is tested when Kelly falls for Bart's sister. Directors Kyle Rankin and Efram Potelle and screenwriter Erica Beeney are winners of Project Greenlight, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's moviemaking contest.

My Thoughts: "It was funny and entertaining. Shia plays a kid who's mother is a painter and kinda a hippie.. His father is a recovering drug addict trying to better himself by helping those who are still addicts.. Shia's character is funny, smart, and angry. I think others would enjoy this movie. It was made before Shia got big.. I think it kinda reminded me of his Even Stevens character with all the smart come backs.. Liked Elden Henson in this movie too. Haven't really seen him in a lot of films."