Battle of the Year (2013)

Critic Consensus: With a hopelessly hokey plot and unintentionally hilarious dialogue, Battle of the Year is flimsy even by the standards of the dance movie genre.

Battle of the Year Videos

Battle of the Year Photos

Movie Info

Battle of the Year is an international dance crew tournament that attracts all the best teams from around the world, but the Americans haven't won in fifteen years. Los Angeles Hip Hop mogul Dante (Alonso) wants to put the country that started the Sport back on top. He enlists his hard-luck friend Blake (Holloway), who was a championship basketball coach, to coach his team. Armed with the theory that the right coach can make any team champions, they assemble a Dream Team of all the best dancers across the country. With only three months until Battle of the Year, Blake has to use every tactic he knows to get twelve talented individuals to come together as a team if they're going to bring the Trophy back to America where it started. (c) Screen Gems
PG-13 (for language and some rude behavior)
Drama , Musical & Performing Arts , Special Interest
Directed By:
In Theaters:
Box Office:

Watch it now

Show More Cast

News & Interviews for Battle of the Year

Critic Reviews for Battle of the Year

All Critics (50) | Top Critics (21)

its dramatization of a U.S. dream team's journey to the international showcase is leaden with predictable character types and storytelling clichés, neither of which its well-executed but oddly infrequent dance sequences are able to overcome.

Full Review… | September 23, 2013
Top Critic

The actual dancing scenes are occasionally electrifying, if far too sparse, but other than that and the welcome sight of co-star Chris Brown getting clocked in the face, the film barely gets off the ground, much less sticks the landing.

Entertainment Weekly
Top Critic

A dead-in-the-soul cash grab of a movie set in the competitive world of B-boy dancing that thinks clichés, phony melodrama and product placement can substitute for real storytelling and actual characters.

September 20, 2013
MSN Movies
Top Critic

Battle of the Year clearly features lots of brilliant dancers, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching them move. But you wish there were more dancing here.

New York Magazine/Vulture
Top Critic

Should satisfy the planet of b-boys and girls to whom it thoroughly preaches, while amusing anyone else who simply can't ignore the promise of an all-corn buffet.

Top Critic

The movie's inability to showcase its greatest asset, the grace and control of its dancers, is its most conspicuous failing.

Full Review… | September 19, 2013

Audience Reviews for Battle of the Year

Where the hell they found people willing to spent their money to make such a unbelievably rubbish movie??? Credit goes to all the dancers (who can really dance), are all amazing B boy. What the hell is Chris Brown doing in this movie?

Kaman Yuen
Kaman Yuen

Breakdancing is awesome, but this movie is awful. A poor attempt to make kid dancers bond through their passions despite superfluous "street rivalries," Battle of the Year is just tapping into the market and making money from it just like the Step Up series.

David Jin
David Jin

Cliche ridden, uninspired and at times unintentionally hilarious. Battle of the year is a dance flick with little dance and serves as just an advert for a dance tournament I never heard of and documentary I never watched (the director of the doc made this movie). Also the line; "We became a family" made me burst.

Joetaeb Dubder
Joetaeb Dubder

Battle of the Year Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Battle of the Year on our Movie forum!

News & Features