Battleship - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battleship Reviews

January 21, 2017
a pretty swee action/thriller movee you can watch anytime and still enjoy it
January 4, 2017
A good action film. The majority of sfx's were very realistic. And with a main character of "Hopper", how could it be any better? They have also left it open for a possible sequel which I would look forward to.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 28, 2016
Action plus. Plot is ok. Excellent Saturday night movie. Teen boys enjoyed it as much as I did. B2?
December 27, 2016
Within the clich├ (C)s and navy commercials, it was a high adrenaline movie that was way more than I was expecting. Although I must admit I wasn't expecting a lot. Very entertaining.
December 26, 2016
I thought the movie was great. Fantastic special effects and good characters. I thought the battle scenes were very well thought out and clever.
December 26, 2016
A fun action flick. Too bad the producers pegged this to the board game. The only connection to the game is the "hunt
½ December 16, 2016
Well, you know. Aliens. Old guys. One liners. It's all there!
½ November 26, 2016
Did not enjoy at all.
½ November 14, 2016
I fairly enjoyed this film. Although, I feel like there are areas that it failed to explore that could have made this plot feel a little less recycled.
November 1, 2016
One of my favorite re-watchable films. Have watched it probably about 6 times. Enjoyed it each time and found something new each time.

There is genuine funny humour in this, an old school sense of cheese and genune family entertainment. The characters are very good and all of the actors give the sense that their characters are well rounded people who has a genuine life away from the narrative of the movie.

The sound effects are brilliant. There are genuine moments of tension and backs to the wall action & human fighting spirit.

This movie showcases a diverse range of societal groups who kick ass and have their moment of the day in a genuine way & not contrived. Which gives a well rounded, success story which is wholesome for the human spirit.
½ October 8, 2016
Although the mindless action can be somewhat entertaining, "Battleship" has nothing else going for it.

During a seemingly innocent naval competition in the Pacific Ocean, these battleships are met with an alien force that's here to take over earth. Based on the popular board game, sorta, Peter Berg will direct this sci-fi action/adventure flick as they try and defend earth from the seas.

The only reason I own this movie is for those moments when I want to watch something so dumb and mindless that it's somewhat entertaining. If I want to turn off my brain completely and vaguely pay attention to what's happening on screen, I can pop in this film. This film is for those demanding little, in compensation for receiving little, only to be dissapointed that this movie is less than what you even asked for in the first place.

The writing was the biggest flaw in this movie. Granted, there were a COUPLE moments where the screenplay was okay and the comedy was fun, but for the most part, the movie was filled with random one liners, slight racism, stereotypes, stupidity, and lazy dialogue. The screenplay was mostly bad, with a hint of decency. Like I said, it really is okay at times, and even made me chuckle a few times, but it felt like it was written by multiple people, all with different skill levels (*cough, cough* it was).

The overall story was fairly unclear and their was a decent abundance of plot holes. There were a lot of things that lead to the nonexistent story and the lack of ark that we got. What are the aliens doing here? Why do they attack some things and not others (We know why but it's inconsistent)? Why this and why that? The story was convoluted and it was clear that there was no one clear direction in mind.

The cast was also filled with questionable choices. Taylor Kitsch was fine as the lead role, and his character actually had some decent development through the film. Alexander Skarsgard yelled the whole time, making his character unrelatable and unlikable. Rhianna was a very odd choice for a supporting character. Liam Neeson did little to nothing, making his casting choice a wasted opportunity. Brooklyn Decker was fine but her character was almost utterly useless. Tadanobu Asano was a very stereotypical character, and the list goes on and on. No one really impressed me in this movie, either due to lack of quality screenplay or lack of skills.

Michael Bay's fingerprints were printed all over this movie. From the out of place sunset shots, random explosions where they shouldn't be, stereotypes, racism, and over sexualization of woman, he's everywhere. I mean, you have Peter Berg at the helm. Let the man direct! He has plenty of skill and you don't need to come in here and "Bay" it up.

The visuals were pretty solid and at least made the movie worth looking at. From the action scenes to the camerawork, I was pleased with most of the shots and the CGI. It's not the greatest by any means, but it certainly gives the movie something worth talking about.

In the end, by no means is this a quality film and I'll barely remember it in the coming days, or hours, or minutes.
½ September 29, 2016
entertaining fun cheesy popcorn flick. pretty funny with some great action sequences and intense scenes. there were also some creative concepts. but of course it had some bad acting, and some horrible acting by non-actors who were in the movie for some reason. and of course some cheesy dialogue. but you can have some mindless fun with this movie

SPOILERS

the creative concept was how they used the buoy to see where the ships were, and kind of made it like the battleship game of somewhat guessing and trying to hit the target.

the black dude with no legs was a real navy vet, not an actor, and you could tell. his role was pretty big and it was brutal. and they also had a bunch of other navy vets in the movie, like it was some kind of advertisement for the navy. that was pretty dumb (2 viewings)
September 21, 2016
Do not agree it was awesome.
September 16, 2016
I don't know why people said this movie sucked...I love this movie. It's entertaining, funny and action packed. I love movies and this is one I watch over and over again. Movies are about escaping the world and getting lost in the fantasy of said film. Movies are not about what's real, they are about being entertained and I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I also tend to like movies that critics dislike.
September 5, 2016
Ridiculous and very flawed, big time misfire
August 30, 2016
It's incredibly stupid. But it is fun to laugh at.
August 28, 2016
Crash, Boom, Bang with aliens AND without any of the fun of Independence Day. A very average action film.
August 14, 2016
My whole family loves this movie! It has action, humor, and emotion. Who cares if it isn't realistic. I get enough reality in my day to day! Also, the respect shown to the veterans and the Mighty Mo make me proud as the wife of a veteran.
August 2, 2016
Lack of logic aside - it rocks!