Battleship Potemkin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battleship Potemkin Reviews

June 6, 2015
Like "Birth of a Nation," the Russian silent film "Battleship Potemkin" is pure propaganda, but fortunately doesn't have the level of racism of the former. What it does have is incredible camerawork, huge set pieces, melodrama, and tension. The massacre of civilians on the Odessa Steps is especially well shot, with a variety of closeups and long shots, as well as panning shots following the soldiers and their hail of bullets down the stairs. The scenes are shocking, violent, melodramatic, and gigantic in scope.

The plot/history reenactment is relatively simple: sailors refuse to eat the borscht full of rancid, maggot infested meat. When the officers decide to make an example of several sailors, the sailors rise up against them and take over the ship, just as revolution begins to spread across Russia.
April 27, 2015
Hands down one of the greatest films ever made. A true masterpiece.
April 4, 2015
An adequate propaganda film with one great scene (the Odessa steps), that actually occurred several years prior to the Potemkin incident. Trendsetting in how movies were (and are) made, but not a great movie by today's standards.
March 28, 2015
I'm not going to lie, I did not enjoy this. I appreciate the importance of the film and the enormous steps it took for early cinema but wow, I was so excited for it to be over. Obviously the context of the film is incredibly important, and it is vital to note that this is a propaganda film. That being said, there aren't really characters. It's like there were just two: the people and the soldiers. The stair scene is just as legendary as it is hailed to be. Halfway through it I noticed my jaw was dropped open as much as possible. I've been watching early films lately and I must say that the violence is shocking. It's not especially graphic or even realistically performed, but the reasons they have to start fighting and the quickness of it was jarring. These soldiers just gunning down civilians was incredibly disturbing and I can't believe that that is a thing that happened, and continues to happen. There were a lot of creative angles and techniques used, absolutely. Just the way the story was told left me guessing a lot. Wasn't a lot of build-up to action, it was just suddenly inaction to action- and since I didn't know what was going on all the time, it was really confusing. Just not a format I'm used to, but I'm working on it.

There were so many points where I was like "okay, I GET IT" like so many repetitive shots and close-ups held for far too long. There were a lot of shots that should have been cut shorter because it would continue on even after the characters were mostly out of frame. There was one scene where two people walk away and the scene keeps going until all we can see is their ankles and I was like, "ok, what do these ankles symbolize" Just kidding, haha, I mean I can't knock this film too much because it's truly an important part of the foundation of modern cinema, and these guys were out there with nothing but ideas and some film equipment. They didn't have film schools, they didn't have movies to watch and study, they didn't have books about filmmaking. I do appreciate this movie's contribution to film but I did not have a good time watching this film. The story didn't do it for me and the shooting style was extremely frustrating to watch. The stair scene is worth a viewing, but I don't intend to watch this again. Not sure why any government would endorse/pay for this, but I'll never pretend to understand Russia.

Did I enjoy it? No
Do I ever want to see it again? No
Do I ever want to include it in my own collection? No

6/10
Bye love you
-Jessie Carlson
March 7, 2015
Excellent. 9.6/10. A+. Awesomely awesometastic.

An incredibly influential film, a technical marvel, and also a thoroughly entertaining and effortlessly watchable epic, Battleship Potemkin is one of the best directed and composed films of all time, and even one of the best films of all time.
½ March 1, 2015
Everything would be great unless it's comiunism propaganda.
December 26, 2014
A True Russian masterpiece.
October 12, 2014
Arguably one of the finest silent films & by far one of the most significant from Russia. This is truly a masterpiece that requires viewing from film lovers.

The story of a mutiny on the Potemkin Battleship that flooded onto the streets of Moscow under the Tzar ruling.

Directed to near perfection by Sergei Eisenstein with some unforgettable shots like the child in the pram going down steps with bullets flying by her & the peasant woman being shot from behind.

It's a challenging & important film to watch!!!!
September 25, 2014
A riveting example of energized and intense film editing. This is a great example of how an entire story can be told with powerful images and creative editing in place of pointless or obvious dialogue that reiterates what is already being shown. The tension of the final scene of the Potemkin plowing through the waters towards its supposed doom at the hands of the admiral's squadron is masterful to say the least.
½ September 25, 2014
Loses pace after the Odessa Steps sequence, but up to then it's marvellous.
½ September 5, 2014
As the blurb states, this is a technical masterpiece. Still to this day I am floored by the scene of the baby carriage rolling down the stairs. This film is a marvel.
August 8, 2014
To call Battleship Potemkin the greatest propaganda film of all time may not be the highest of praise, but the impact of the editing techniques pioneered by Eisenstein in this film have been felt since its release. Using technical achievements to invoke emotional response is perhaps the greatest tool that cinema can employ and it began here with Battleship Potemkin. This is the world's first film; all that came before were simply movies.
½ August 6, 2014
Eisenstein understands the way the human eye and brain work so well that this film could be shown to anyone at any point in history and they would likely connect with it on a subliminal level, even without any context or shared language to fall back on.
July 15, 2014
Nearly 90 years later, Sergei M. Eisenstein's "Battleship Potemkin" is still a Masterpiece of Cinema!
June 28, 2014
Very good movie. Very sad and realistic for an old fashioned silent film. It was brilliantly made and ahead of it's time. I couldn't think of one thing wrong with the film.
½ June 28, 2014
Though visually engaging, it is too vague in terms of storytelling and sequence. Some of the scenes does not make sense for me in terms of a comprehensive and solid plot.
June 19, 2014
A savagely harsh and gripping film about the Russian revolution. Chilling, real and bleak. A unique beast from the silent era.
May 13, 2014
During the opening scenes I couldn't understand what the all the fuss was about. Not so amazing villainous ship captains surrounded by unmemorable characters. I couldn't see why everyone lauded this as a masterpiece. Then I saw the Odessa Step sequence. Boy was I wrong. That sequence alone warrants the watching of this movie. While other scenes have aged badly the Odessa Steps remains as exciting as it was in 1925 and does not rely on quaint charm to be enjoyed. The sequence is jarring, remarkable for a film made in 1925. The brutality and violence during this scene shown in a wonderful montage can still move and shock modern audiences that have become accustomed to violence in modern cinema. You hold your breath and don't exhale till the onslaught by Czar's soldiers is over.