Baxter Reviews

Sylvester K Super Reviewer
    Feb 02, 2016

A bizarre film chronicling the life and death of a bull terrier who seeks to find the perfect owner. Baxter is a coming of age film for a dog with some really disturbing elements, I wouldn't consider it as a black comedy, just a dark satire of fascism. It's a fascinating film about the comparison of human nature and animalistic instinct.

• Jan 25, 2016

Baxter is an allegory of authoritarianism, which is the basis for this film. I highly recommend it. I first saw this when I was in my early 20s, and re-watched it since. It is French with English subtitles. The film is narrated by the protagonist, Baxter, who is a dog. It is a black comedy, but the dog as narrator must be taken seriously. Baxter craves a strict master and finds one in a boy who worships the authoritarianism of Nazi Germany. This movie lingered with me after I watched it, which, to me is a quality of a great film. It is highly underrated.

• Dec 17, 2014

Strano. Da una parte sembra un filmetto a basso budget e da bassissime aspettative, dall'altra tira fuori momenti decisamente disturbanti e crudi.Insomma, riuscito a metà? Qualcosa del genere.

• Apr 30, 2012

I wouldn't call this is a horror film, nor a comedy. I don't really see what was funny about this to begin with, with maybe a couple lines. Rather interesting film, but wouldn't suggest it to everyone.

• Feb 10, 2012

• Jan 07, 2011

An odd film that takes the viewer inside them mind of a dog to get a look at human nature through the eyes of an outsider. Baxter is bounced from home to home, beginning with an old woman, then to the home of a young couple who has a baby, and finally into the hands of a young buy with an obsession with Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun. It's a bit like Baxter is traveling backwards through a human lifespan and finding a kind of violent selfishness at its core. Generally, the acting throughout is quite good and the story will keep the viewer involved. Baxter packs a good combination of tension and black humor when it's working. It doesn't always work, though. Some of the dialogue written for the dog seems too fragmented and self-contradictory, and much of it is ponderous philosophizing that carries a little too much pretentiousness. Baxter's intellectual abilities, not to mention his "inner" voice, are jarring much of the time. Despite this flaw, "Baxter" has enough good moments to make it a worthwhile watch. It's Lassie meets Albert Camus. Add a star if you're a fan of French cinema and dog flicks.

• Nov 08, 2010

The dog character is anthropomorphized with human sentience and cognitive internal monologuing but I had trouble relating so, and extracting the film's significance - might have to see it again. What I got was that humans are one beast away from unleashing the inevitable violent alter ego, but anyway, it's a refreshing film considering the hoopla normally expected from animals within films such as Beethoven, Air Bud and all that other crap. Unadulterated human-animal relationships pervade this film, but I can't say it leaves much of an impression even though it tried to.

• Sep 10, 2010

(****): Thumbs Up Smart and darkly funny. Well-written and directed.

(****): Thumbs Up Smart and darkly funny. Well-written and directed.

• Apr 09, 2010

Original concept having the dog narrate the movie as dark as it was. Enjoyable though but seems incomplete to me. The final chapter with the nazi boy was the most watchable segment.

• Jan 03, 2010

I first saw this film when it was released to the US at the time of a wave of talking dog family movies. I knew this wasn't a kids film but I was expecting a light comedy where the dog makes sarcastic remarks about human foibles (those humans are SOOOO crazy). Well, I was wrong. This is a mean dog. As we watch the film we are constantly in fear of what the dog will do but completely sympathetic to his plight. But the film is even deeper, paralleling Baxter with a lonely boy that eventually becomes his keeper. The film makes a strong argument that the abuse and neglect heaped on any creature will eventually turn against those neglecting it and we all pay the consequences. In this way the film is a metaphor for the rise of Nazzism in Germany and simultaneously predicted the Columbine tragedy (and other similar attacks that followed). I have to say that I was completely emotionally moved by the journey of the dog. I warn you, though, that this is rough going. This is not for family viewing and not for anyone who is overly sensitive to the abuse of animals.