Reazione a catena (A Bay of Blood) (Twitch of the Death Nerve) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reazione a catena (A Bay of Blood) (Twitch of the Death Nerve) Reviews

½ August 4, 2017
I keep hoping that I will find another good Mario Bava film. There is a big cult around him but they seem to be primarily focused on Bava's ability to stage a gruesome (and bloody) murder, rather than my interest in the creepy/spooky mises-en-scene he was able to create in such classics as I Vampiri (1957), Black Sunday (1960), Black Sabbath (1963), and even Planet of the Vampires (1965). I suppose his success with Blood and Black Lace (1964), which saw fashion models in an elite agency picked off one by one, encouraged him in this direction. A Bay of Blood is supposedly the progenitor of the slasher film, inspiring Friday the 13th (1980) and apparently being ripped off directly in Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981). I wasn't a big fan of that genre (although I did see Friday the 13th Part III (1982) in the theatre in 3D), so why did I watch this? I guess I am still hoping to find a clearer missing link between Bava the mentor and his protg Dario Argento (who took the giallo form to higher heights with The Bird with Crystal Plumage and then creeped/grossed me out with Deep Red, Suspiria, and Inferno but has recently made nothing but crap). Anyway, A Bay of Blood does capture some spooky feeling out there by the lake (I mean, bay) where a few lonely houses stand and Bava's prowling camera peers at and stalks the cast. An initial murder planned to spur an inheritance leads to a virtual killing spree (not all by the same murderer, it seems) and a lot of opportunities for Bava to go grand guignol (including with some young people who stumble into the action and get naked and dead). But, in the end, I guess I'm telling you that late Bava doesn't seem to be worth it -- unless you are a part of the gore cult (and I'm not).
July 31, 2017
The film has some excellent opening sequences that build high expectations for what is to come. The expectations set are dangerously high, and overall I don't think it lives up to itself. Despite some dodgy camera-work (rapid zooms and shots thrown in and out of focus), a few plodding moments and some dated looking scenes involving 'groovy' teenagers, Mario Bava's A Bay of Blood is still an entertaining slasher movie, made even more notable by the fact that it heavily influenced Sean S. Cunningham's 80s classic, Friday the 13th, made almost a decade later.
½ February 20, 2017
This cult classic from Giallo master Mario Bava is one of the original slasher films and had a profound influence on "Friday the 13th". It has a keen visual style and also a sly sense of humour. There's isn't much of a story, but that isn't what this film is about anyways. The ending is also truly classic! Recommended for fans of the genre only.
½ September 19, 2016
Si hay algo por lo que destaca Baha de Sangre es por esa mala leche cargada de sarcasmo e irona que no hace ms que reflejar los entresijos ms oscuros de la naturaleza humana. La cinta de Bava es toda una muestra de que a veces no hay blancos, sino una escala de grises que cada vez se va haciendo ms oscura.

Hay algo intrnsecamente absurdo y pattico en la trama de la pelcula con esa espiral de muertes, y pese a lo que nos pese, dicha absurdez y patetismo nace de nuestras ambiciones ms bsicas y triviales. Y todo ello est coronado por uno de los "punch lines" ms soberbios dentro de la historia del cine. Una guinda final, en un pastel que el gran maestro italiano usa para rerse de la estupidez humana.

Si queris ver un verdadero festival de muerte, con algunos de los asesinatos ms brutales y crueles del celuloide, esta es vuestra pelcula.
April 9, 2016
One of the absolute best and bloodiest Giallos out there.
½ March 28, 2016
This is kinda vile and the story dont really make sense but stylistically its a delight of flair and panache with a great score
January 19, 2016
Mario Bava had already established himself as a master of horror, and this film reaffirms his title. The lakeside setting gives way to some gorgeous cinematography, and the oversaturated colors help to create an eerie atmosphere. Plus, the gore looks fantastic, and it's never in short supply.
½ September 20, 2015
"Bay of Blood" is not a distinct slasher movie because its gore effects are more bombastic than its bloodthirsty peers, because it has as high a number of killers as victims, because the final twist is more unexpected than Jason's mom coming out of the bushes and scaring the bejeezus out of Adrienne King. Anyone can be creative with their bloodbaths and their bad guys and their jolts. "Bay of Blood", by contrast, is such a distinctive horror movie because of Mario Bava, Mario Bava, and MARIO BAVA. He's a cinematographer. A director. A writer. A provocateur. A visual stylist. We couldn't care less when regarding whether who lives and who dies. "Bay of Blood" is Bava's show, its scrappiness unprecedented by any slasher flick in its category.
Consider its obstacles. Bava's past films (including "Black Sunday", "Blood and Black Lace", and "Kill, Baby, Kill") were opulent horror movies sumptuous in their visual stylings, death-defying in their dread - box-office success was unavoidable. But by the 1970s, Bava's relentless artistic prowess had staled in favor of new mavens like Dario Argento. Decently high budgets withered away, and so did audiences. But Bava's spirit never died, and despite setbacks from the lack of money pumping into each scene, "Bay of Blood" feels alive, opposite of the dead-on-arrival monotony of later splatter-fests of the "Friday the 13th" mindset. His enthusiasm shines through the shoestring chintz.
It follows the blitz that won't seem to leave the bay of Countessa Federica Donati (Isa Miranda) alone, following her intricate murder. (Consider that her husband stages her death to look like a suicide, only to get knifed just a few seconds later by an unknown assailant.) With her demise leaving the sizable property ownerless, it sets the stage for a madcap race for its takeover, that race being soaked in blood, guts, and flesh. Participants (and/or victims) in the nasty competition are kept under the impression that their plan to claim ownership is foolproof; but with so many people keen to fill the shoes of the Countessa, self-confidence seems trivial.
Never mind the fact that the property isn't even that nice and it's a shock that so many people want it, that there's no way that that many murderers would want the same prize, that the teenagers that break into the bay's beachfront home early in the film die simply because stakes have to be raised for paranoia to seep. "Bay of Blood" is an exciting horror movie because it is helmed by a master of the genre, working his usual magic in ways updated to the time period.
In the 1960s, he populated his films with unsettlingly shadowy Technicolor and eerily gothic emotions, mostly working with the supernatural but settling down for precursing "Halloween" every once in a while just for the thrill of it. As Bava aged, though, his carousel of colors toned down to fit the cynicism of the era, camera techniques relying less on pigmentation and more on long-tracking shots, quick cuts, and inventive zooms. The gritty, considerate photographic style increases the suspense to near behemoth levels; all the gore wouldn't mean much if not for Bava's optical splendor, his cinematographic patience.
It's not hard to admit that "Bay of Blood" would be a subpar slasher movie if not for Bava's directorial fervor - the story is rote, the acting even worse - but nothing is more electrifying than a filmmaker making something out of nothing, with originality, no less. If it had the same Technicolor heftiness of his '60s films, "Bay of Blood" would perhaps be a masterpiece. But for now, taking his earlier, more subtle works into consideration, it'll have to do.
½ July 13, 2015
Gee, they're really good at playing dead, aren't they?

A younger man married to a rich elderly wife thinks he has the perfect strategy to become rich. He plans to kill the woman and obtain her money. When news spreads of her death, friends and family come to the estate looking to narrow down the numbers on who will receive the inheritance. There are also some campers near the house. A string of unique murders occur.

"What if it fails?"
"It won't fail."

Mario Bava, director of Black Sunday, Evil Eye, Roy Colt and Winchester Jack, Lisa and the Devil, Black Sabbath, and Blood and Black Lace, delivers Bay of Blood. The storyline for this picture is actually entertaining and fun to watch unfold and the kill scenes were well done. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Claudine Auger, Luigi Pistilli, and Isa Miranda.

"You want to get me in your dirty, filthy games."

I came across the Mario Bava collection on Netflix and add them to my queue. I will say this was one of my favorites of his...for sure. This isn't perfect, but it is a wonderful slasher film. It reminded me of the first Sleepaway Camp for some reason. Overall, I feel this is a must see for campy horror movie fans.

"I really never thought you had it in you."

Grade: B-
½ April 20, 2015
The genius of Bava in 'Bay Of Blood': narrative continuity gives way to maximizing the psychological qualities of setting, namely light and location. In one scene it's early afternoon, the next nighttime and the scene after that dusk. While the director meticulously subverts the natural order of daylight, both murderers and their victims wander a network of forest trails, abandoned buildings and private homes left unattended. Pay close enough attention and it appears as if the geographical relationships/logic of these various settings actually changes over the course of the movie. The bay is a gnarled maze, one that's ultimately indecipherable because, yet again, Bava cares little for continuity. And without continuity, viewers are denied the opportunity to create a mental map of the bay; they are denied physical orientation. Without any kind of tether to the natural world, the only constants left are death and terror.
February 22, 2015
A typically useless effort from Mario Bava, A Bay of Blood follows several depraved characters as they attempt to get their hands on a large inheritance after an heiress is killed by her husband - with the film detailing the carnage as the protagonists begin knocking each other off. Although a few of the kill sequences are admittedly quite well done and appreciatively brutal, A Bay of Blood is simply unable to hold viewer's interest for more than a few minutes at a time - with the film's final insult arriving in the form of a preposterous and downright stupid shock ending.
November 26, 2014
November 10, 2014
4 out of 5 (italian cut)
½ November 9, 2014
Mario Bava has had an influence on the Horror genre since he directed some of the best and cult classics horror films throughout the 60's and 70's. The man has a style but this film is unfortunately not his most memorable work. The scenario is very shallow, the actor's direction ridiculous and the gore scenes pile up without any real sense, just graphically awesome and purely mechanical. If you are a fan of Giallo films and I think I am one of them, you will probably agree that such a film has had a certain influence on classics such as Friday the 13th but it doesn't make it a great film. Quite disappointing in my opinion, this film nevertheless remain an interesting and curious object that deserves a viewing.
November 5, 2014
October 28, 2014
October 23, 2014
Favorite slasher movie of the 70's thumbs up.
October 21, 2014
Mario Bava directs which is considered to be the grandfather of slasher flicks. Before the American slasher craze, this Italian horror introduced the slasher to the serial killer genre. Racking up 13 on-screen deaths, A Bay of Blood is the original slasher and features some gory death scenes. An aristocratic women has been murdered, now between nosy neighbours, relatives & real estate agents, they all want the land surrounding the bay. A sharply witted and directed movie featuring nice old fashioned practical effects, this is one slasher that's extremely enjoyable, that gives birth to some of the clichs slasher fans love.
½ September 22, 2014
Vackert fotograferad, snrig och mycket originell slasher, som faktiskt har rykte av att vara den allra frsta i sin genre. Filmen har imiterats in absurdum, men r nd unik p ett stt (som jag inte tnker avslja hr). Whodunnit-inslaget fr tittaren (ls: mig) att f gra hr av grubbleri. r den otck fr en nutida publik, d? Nope.
April 29, 2014