Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt Reviews

• Nov 01, 2018

Deeply affecting and even moreso for those from Southeast Texas.

Deeply affecting and even moreso for those from Southeast Texas.

• Jul 15, 2016

great portrait of a fascinating heart breaking talent - the amazing singer song writer manic depressive wandering artsy nut big hearted bad ass...with some impressive old footage, an accurate honest feeling portrait...some pieces that make me jealous and others that are horrifying and terrifying..with snippets of music, def well worth a look

• Jan 31, 2016

Margaret Brown's distressing Townes Van Vandt bio-pic asks many more questions than it is able to answer. The inexplicable collision of mental illness, alcoholism, drug addiction and profound creativity that was Townes' life is often too painful to watch; key pieces of the puzzle don't seem to fit. All we may ever be able to do is retreat into the music, much like Townes himself did when he was "high, low and in between".

• Dec 15, 2012

greatest movie ever, townes is amazing

greatest movie ever, townes is amazing

• Aug 19, 2011

Fourth time I've watched this.

Fourth time I've watched this.

• Aug 16, 2011

Steve Earle once said "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that."

• Mar 14, 2011

I literally got all misty the moment the first song began playing. That's just how powerful Van Zandt's words and voice are, no doubt the reason his music makes such an impression on all who hear it. As with so many great artists, Van Zandt's story is wrought with tragedy, albeit not always the kind one might expect. His tale illustrates how one need not be born poor or underprivileged to know heartache and listlessness and to turn that into something beautiful beyond measure. His music is painful to hear yet it comforts the listener with knowledge that they're not alone, that others have hurt and do hurt and that there is a solace to be found in that camaraderie of broken hearts and restless souls. This documentary offers a brief glimpse into the life of such a man, his family and friends, and the impact his music has had.

• Mar 05, 2011

Tragic, that a man with so much ability couldn't rid himself of his inner demons. Van Zandt did leave behind some very honest and listenable music.

• Nov 14, 2010

lots of interviews footage and insight into one of the greatest song writers to ever walk this mortal coil.

• Aug 11, 2010

A quite satisfying look at the life of one of music's most dysfunctional treasures. Rather than one dimensionally praising his work, this film glaringly exposes many of the flaws of one of America's finest songwriters of all time.