Be Kind Rewind Trailer" /> Michel Gondry "Swedes" His Own Be Kind Rewind Trailer - Rotten Tomatoes

Michel Gondry "Swedes" His Own Be Kind Rewind Trailer

Another maverick move from the trickster filmmaker.

As if bringing the phrase "sweded" into the lexicon wasn't enough, Be Kind Rewind director Michel Gondry has one-upped himself; he's gone and sweded his own trailer, inserting himself as Jack Black and Mos Def and using his crafty wiles to replicate the most conventional aspect of Hollywood movies: the preview reel.

Such a maverick move was to be expected from Gondry, the French-born music video wunderkind-turned-maker of the most visually innovative films in recent years (The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Science of Sleep).

His whimsical ways even made it to Youtube, where Gondry duped us all (you know he did, for a little bit!) with the simple video of himself solving a Rubik's cube with his feet. That video, achieved by employing a rather simple, but effective, camera trick, spawned plenty of response videos and validated Gondry as a champion of simple magic in filmmaking. He's since updated his Youtube following by solving a Rubik's cube with his nose.

Now, with his latest film opening in theaters today (Be Kind Rewind, boasting a 68 percent Tomatometer rating), Gondry has unleashed another gem unto us. Where the first trailer for the film gave a taste of the story -- two video store schlubs (Jack Black and Mos Def) must remake the most famous movies in the store when all the tapes get accidentally demagnetized -- this second clip goes even further. In Gondry's sweded (read: re-made) trailer, something's gone wrong in the projection booth, and Gondry himself must step in and re-shoot it, special effects and all.

Watch more Be Kind Rewind clips and trailers here.

Comments

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Gondry is one very inventive man, and I love him for that.

Feb 22 - 02:01 PM

AquaFina

Dominic Iseli-Smith

By no means am I a Michel Gondry fan. I find his films tedious and cloying. That said, this is awfully clever and he seems to exude charm not only behind the camera but also in front of it.

M. Gondry, vous avez les valseuses, ca va de soit.

Feb 22 - 02:08 PM

theginsengtree

Nicolaas van Oss

I loved seeing the interview with Paul McCartney for "Dance Tonight" where he did a Michel Gondry impression. Such a wonderful and insanely creative Frenchman, but I can't pick up half of what he says in here.

Feb 22 - 05:44 PM

AnthonyDidge

Anthony D

Just saw the movie and gotta say I was quite pleased by it. Any movie that utilizes the musical stylings of the one Ray Parker Jr. is ok in my book.

Feb 22 - 11:31 PM

toryt7

Tory Thomasco

Gondry has to be one of the most creative guys in Hollywood, and this is just another brilliant display of his love of film making. He has kicked off the swedeing fest that is sure to start

Feb 22 - 11:55 PM

umafan08

Michael Lundholm

The first time I saw this trailer I thought it reminded me of a skit I saw somewhere...then I read about how he stole the plot from The Amanda Show on Nickolodeon, which was 8 years ago. I don't call that real creative like everyone is saying.

Feb 23 - 11:12 AM

BrokenDreamer

Joshua Caylor

He stole the plot from The Amanda Show, right? Yeah; I'm sure Michel Gondry watched every episode of that classic television series and, when he came to that skit, thought "I totally have to steal the idea of a show starring Amanda Bynes!" In fact, I bet he took notes and has plans to make other movies using skits from that show. Michel Gondry has NO creativity.

Come on; I've read about this whole "stealing from The Amanda Show" claim and I think it is ignorant. I doubt he even watched those shows. Also, in case you don't know, "The Amanda Show" is not a benchmark of creativity. I doubt it was anything more than just a skit. I also doubt it was filmed well or told an interesting story beyond just a concept. I won't see the movie until tonight, so I don't know what it is like (I didn't see "The Amanda Show" clip either, did you?), but, from what I've heard, the visuals are just as creative in this film as his previous ones.

Creativity goes beyond a simple idea. Everything has been done before, but some of the most creative directors or writers take an idea and put their own spin on it, and the best create something new and better than others. He did not steal an idea; at the same time, even if the concept is similar to a kids show, creativity comes from someone who develops a story, visuals, and the other aspects of directing. Sorry, but I don't buy this Amanda Show conspiracy theory.

(To me, just the whole "sweded" trailer is an indication of his creativity.)

Feb 23 - 01:04 PM

BrokenDreamer

Joshua Caylor

(To me, just the whole "sweded" trailer is an indication of his creativity.)

Feb 23 - 01:04 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday