Beach Rats Reviews

• Marisol M Super Reviewer
    Feb 02, 2021

I'm making my way backward with Eliza Hittman's work and I simply adore her flair for observational drama, particularly about young people on the verge of change. She pays attention to what makes people tick in their most private moments with themselves. In turn, every minute detail in how they interact with those around them clicks in at a higher frequency. It's thrilling to understand so much without having much explained. Hittman only gets better at this with her following film and even though ‘Beach Rats' is not as focused and suffers from some repetitiveness, it's worth the trip.

• Feb 01, 2021

the tone of the film weighs heavy as the protagonist would

the tone of the film weighs heavy as the protagonist would

• Jan 16, 2021

A haunting and beautiful exploration into the mind and turmoil of a young man's sexuality

• Jun 15, 2020

Me pareció una película aburrida que perfectamente pudo durar 15 minutos No ocurre absolutamente nada... Decepción

• Jun 14, 2020

Bury your gays trope by straight woman. Terrible ending that offers no closure whatsoever. I like open ended endings but this ain't it karen. Harris did a great job with what he was given but that was all him

• Jun 08, 2020

Where the movie ended is where it should have begun...a punk kid who is struggling with real questions about his sexuality goes through a shitty summer...he dabbles in sex with men, treats his family like shit at their lowest point, almost gets caught with a guy and watches his almost-lover get beat up. He takes a coward's way out and as the movie ends we just get to watch him feel bad about it and watch fireworks...no resolve, no arc, this will be his pitiful and cowardly life according to this film. Why can't we see him triumph, face up to someone, show SOME evidence of a spine? Very disappointing film.

• Jun 05, 2020

Albeit Beach Rats is suitably sensual and meticulously detailed as you would expect from Eliza Hittman, it's lacking thematically speaking. It is very well acted and shot. Most of the movie is also very grounded in reality with many scenes being quite memorable, but still it needed more emotion and depth as the ending itself was quite disappointing.

• May 25, 2020

it's okay. very good cinematography but the plot is very bland. it could have been so much better

• Dec 24, 2019

Mysterious, gripping, and beautifully filmed, this movie flows like a deep, dark ocean it is sometimes set against. Stellar direction and actors, this movie had me questioning what was coming up next throughout. Brilliant.

• Nov 25, 2019

As a gay film, there's some raw reality to how gay men used to hook up and cruise. This story feels unrestricted and almost too easy for the protagonist. I suppose drugs can affect the mind but would the choices made which potentially puts his closet status out for just weed is questionable. All in all, there's no satisfaction or moral to be found here. Truly just turmoil.