Bear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bear Reviews

January 30, 2015
If you go down to the woods today, you'll be sure of a big surprise, and funnily enough this film was quite surprising in the sense that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Still bad, but could of potentially been a lot worse. For starters there appears to be a lot of realistic footage, which I hadn't assumed would be the case. I was expecting a gigantic beast of a bear that only reveals close ups of its eyes and claws, so as not to reveal the poor computer generated monster that is the star of this flick. The real life footage does make it look less menacing than it perhaps needs to be for a film dubbed as a horror, but the simple presence of a bear in any case is enough to be terrified by. The main concept of the film is simply how the four teens are going to escape the ravenous creature as it contains them within their broken down car as a means of revenge for the killing its 'mate'. Aside from this, there is a lot of character development as we learn more about the internal dynamics and relationships within the group, as well as coping with the threat from outside. It's as much an emotional battle with one another as a physical one with the zoo animal. It's an interesting little story that has some nice moments but it's clearly very low budget and comes across as more a hardcore showing of Home and Away that cinematic material. Exceeded my expectations but they were never set very high in the first place, and although I give it a half hearted thumbs up, it's a thumbs down to watching it again.
½ December 6, 2013
Among the most inept horror films ever conceived. Moronic and dull.
½ October 28, 2012
not good but the bear was the best actor
½ June 18, 2012
A vengeful bear has more screen presence than his human victims in this feeble man-against-nature tale. This whole film is 4 ppl trying to survive against a bear but mostly it's just the 4 ppl arguing & fighting with eachother,Just dreadful SKIP IT!!!
½ May 7, 2012
I think it's safe to say that this is the worst movie I think I have ever seen. I think this movie is a step down from Black Water because much like Black Water, Bear is all talk and no action. Honestly, how can you build up a single bear to be a main conflict in a story. Some of the events that happened are just laughable because there is no way that some of these things can happen. This was a complete waste of an hour and a half so I strongly advise all viewers not to see it. The best acting out of the entire movie was probably the bear and that is not a compliment toward anyone.
April 22, 2012
I enjoyed the movie, didn't think it was going to be all that great at first...'til the Bear appears and then the action is non-stop!
½ April 13, 2012
Totally on the bear's side.
½ March 26, 2012
A showcase in stupid things to do if confronted by a bear and also an eye opening look at human traits bears seem to have taken on including, seeking revenge, faking people out and accepting apologies.
½ March 3, 2012
This is a movie where you cheer for the bear to kill all these stupid jerky characters that we're SUPPOSED to identify with.
½ January 13, 2012
Was pretty good when the parts of the movie had the Bear in it but some of the movie was focused to much on the past story-lines of the people and not the Bear.
½ December 11, 2011
greatest comedy ever made.
Japes
October 7, 2011
This movie had a lot of potential. It wasn't good, but I could tell the director really put in a good amount of effort into this movie.

The movie is about two brothers and their girlfriends who take a shortcut through the woods with their car. I wasn't sure if they were going camping or going to an event, but either way the road damages their car so much that it gets a flat tire. One thing after another happens to their car- flat tire, broken axle, etc. It was kind of ridiculous. Anyway, while they try to fix the flat on their car, a bear approaches them from the woods. The one brother takes out his pistol and shoots it to death. Later, the bear's mate comes after them all to avenge the death of his bear friend.

The movie was really short 88 mins. Everything happened so quickly. The characters weren't developed at all. There was a deeper story between the characters and I think the movie would have been a lot better had the characters been more 3 dimensional. You can't have a deep plot, if the characters are shallow. There were problems between the characters (affair, drugs, etc.) that literally came out of nowhere. The movie doesn't give you any hints about the problems between the couples, it kind of just throws it all out there while the characters are talking in the car. The script does all of the work in the movie, the actors don't do anything. For example (SPOILER), the one brother and girl had an affair (the girl however is married to the other brother). The movie doesn't give you any subtle hints that these two people had an affair. It just comes out in the script later in the movie. Out of nowhere one of the brothers says to the girl he had an affair with "You've been acting really cold to me lately, why?" Like really? I honestly didn't notice her being "cold" to him at all. They seemed quite fine and interacted with each other multiple times. They gave me no reason to believe that they were ever romantically involved with each other. The script works way too hard in this film. The director should have had the actors glance awkwardly at each other or something, and give subtle clues indicating something had happened between them in the past. Everything in this movie is said, not showed which for me was a problem. The actors surprisingly were not the worst actors I've ever seen; it was the script that was problem. The director tried to add depth, but he added too much depth. One problem after another kept arising between the characters. It was like an overload of money, family, drug and marriage problems. It was too much, and because the characters were 2 dimensional, the director's attempt at a deeper understory just failed even more.

The bear scenes were really cool, but really not suspenseful. Creating suspense is hard, and I think if the characters had been more developed then there would have been some suspense there (because the audience would have cared somewhat about the individuals). The SFX was good too, however the car flipping over was really fake. Two guys could flip the car to its original right side up position? Bullshittt. It was so easy to tell the car was just a prop and not real. It took the guys like 2.5 seconds to flip that car. Come on now.

I hated the ending of this movie too. I respect the effort put into this movie, but let's be real...the characters were dumb. Maybe if they had been more developed they wouldn't have appeared so stupid. The decisions they made were so illogical. Climbing trees like a motherfucking monkey, trying to fix a car after it rolled like 10 times and expecting it to drive out of that unfortunate situation like a boss....pleasee. Plot definitely needed some improvements.

Like I said before, I could tell the director worked really hard on this film. He tried to add depth to the plot. The movie wasn't just about a killer bear, it was also about family and honesty and shit. The director tried to make the movie have a meaning. He didn't make a shallow piece of shit movie, he attempted to give it depth and a more purposeful story line. Unfortunately his attempt at film ended in failure and the movie is still pretty shitty, but at least he tried. I give him a B+ for effort. It wasn't another animal gone mad attack film with hot college kids, it tried to be something more than that. Most people are calling this movie dumb and pointless, but I believe it was not. Even if the bear was the best actor out of the bunch, this movie could have been something special! Maybe next time John Rebel, maybe next time.
July 24, 2011
Awful movie; dialogue was sloppy, acting was cheezy, the story had no purpose. It was a waste to rent.
½ June 12, 2011
this was a terrible movie.
½ April 9, 2011
Wasnt really good... But neither was the plot.. So what can you expect..
March 28, 2011
very satisfying movie about jerks who are eaten by a bear. my only real complaint is that there is too much talking by said jerks in between the scenes of bear carnage.
March 17, 2011
No mystery, no suspense, but excellent musical score. Dialogue was as bad as the acting but overall worth watching while drinking. This is a great bad movie to watch with friends as long as you go into it knowing that
½ March 17, 2011
March 12, 2011
killed mama bear so the cubs and coming to get ya
February 13, 2011
this movie was the worst movie i've ever seen in my life. I have seen many horrible movies but this takes the cake. the actors were alright, the reason behind the audacity of the horrible movie was the severe lack of plot. Drawn out to two hours, what should have only taken ten minutes