Yeshou xingjing (Beast Cops) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yeshou xingjing (Beast Cops) Reviews

April 8, 2017
One of those plain sorta movies with a sudden crazy unforgettable climaxes. It's admirable but the story was always on the verge of flying apart for me. The fact that it won best HK movie that year shows how bad a state they were in in '98.
½ October 3, 2013
Great movie. Anthony Wong's best performance ever. He won best actor award in China for his performance. Won several awards. Great acting and action.
August 23, 2012
Good bit of late-90's HK dirty cop/clean cop action/dark comedy. The effects are poor, but the plot, direction and knife fights are sweet.
August 20, 2012
I used to have a friend who would send me VHS tapes with three Hong Kong films on, each recorded in long play, often sourced from his own VHS copies or video discs. Many of the films he sent me had never played in the UK at the time, and many still haven't. Some of them didn't have subtitles but I'd still watch them and try and work out the plot. This was one had subs, thankfully. It's not a bad thriller, a little over the top, and with some wildly inconsistent acting. The plot? I don't even remember sadly.
½ April 3, 2012
Well, this was a major disappointment. Going into Beast Cops, I was expecting an HK action film with a dose a drama, but really this film has almost no action whatsoever, opting to focus on a flimsy corrupt cop storyline that never really explores the thematic issues or emotional ambiguities. Anthony Wong really is the only reason to bother with this film. His portrayal of a dirty cop is layered and very fun to watch in places. He brings a lot of charisma and is easily the best actor in the film. Michale Wong, who plays the by-the-book cop is pretty much terrible, and one-note throughout the entire film. Maybe I am being a little harsh cause I was expecting more action, cause the film does have some pretty great comedic moments centered around the corrupt cop. The ending is pretty badass, but other than that, this is a pretty forgettable film that's best aspect is the comedy which isn't a good thing considering it's supposed to be action-drama.
½ August 28, 2011
Explores the grey zone between the black and white of cops and badguys. Anthony Wong delivers a superb performance as an imperfect cop, with a new strict boss (Michael Wong). Instead of having the usual cliche commissioner yelling at them, they explore their personal lives.

I especially liked the characters breaking the fourth wall to deliver monologues and character development. The final fight is pretty intense too.
½ January 29, 2011
Alright, how about a very decent Mafia-type movie where a cop goes and decides that he should just fix everything by shooting all the major groups. Great acting, great action and a "holy crap" final action scene :)
May 11, 2010
Was a favorite of mine for years. Great editing, great pacing, great movie.
April 9, 2010
One of the 90s Classics in HK Cinema. Patrick Tam is amazing!!
½ March 3, 2010
similar to US movie "The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans" but this movie more funny
July 11, 2009
Anthony Wong is such a professional actor!
½ May 23, 2009
A superb cop drama with a phenomenal performance by Anthony Wong. The ending doesn't quite satisfy, but that's easy to look past.
February 27, 2009
Any movie that ends with the main character getting royal trashed on cheap whiskey and dropping a ton of meth before getting in giant knife fight with a gang cause he's a cop out for revenge is gonna get a few stars for it's efforts. Roy Cheung should've been in the movie more. It has all the usual Hong Kong drama movie flaws too. Watch if you know what you're looking for not if you're interested in amazingly good movies.
February 14, 2009
Beast Cops was immediately hailed upon it's release in 1998 as the movie that would save the post-97, postraumatic HK film industry. With it's gritty look and realistic violence it sure makes a clean break with the stylish eighties scene. Add to that the truly original, almost Godardian way, that the characters are talking directly into the camera from time to time. And yet, Beast Cops fails to please because of the unimaginay plot and the way directors Lam and Chan allows the main actors to clown around, as if not taking their task seriously, which kind of works against the initial serious feel of this movie. Nice to see the great Anthony Wong gets to play his whole register here, though, while Sam Lee just about manages to avoid becoming self-parodic.
December 30, 2008
This was pretty badass. But more of a comedy than an action.
½ November 1, 2008
This is so over-the-top crazy it's awesome. If watching a film could make you pick up a bat and start beating random people over the head for no reason, it would be this one.
September 17, 2008
Entertaining cop movie mixes the very good (Anthony Wong as a likeable anti-hero) and the not-so-good (Michael Wong, and his boring character's annoying habit of peppering English into the conversation). The plot is little better than average, and the fight scenes are of the brutal, quick-cut variety (of which I am not a fan). Yet the bits of comedy work well, and it all gels together thanks to aforementioned Anthony Wong's cool, corrupt-cop-turns-good performance.
½ July 23, 2008
Anthony Wong - need I say more?
½ June 6, 2008
Not sure I understood the plot that well but the bloody machete fight scene set to the beach blanket bingo music made it worth seeing.
½ June 2, 2008
Another classic Hong Kong movie which demands to be seen.