The Beastmaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beastmaster Reviews

April 23, 2014
Every bit as amazing as I remember from the hundreds of times I watched it in the 80s and 90s.
January 29, 2014
42%? Fuck you Rotten Tomatoes! The Beastmaster is an awesome fantasy adventure based off the sci-fi works of Andre Norton! He's Conan The Barbarian with the power to talk to animals! It is a great sword and sorcery movie! But I guess unless Peter Jacksons or Harry Potter are involved, critics don't like fantasy fims. Eat a dick Rotten Tomatoes!
½ January 15, 2014
I enjoyed it more when I watched it as a kid but it's a pretty good movie!
November 20, 2013
Purely for the name.
August 9, 2013
What this adventure lacks in big-budget production it makes up for with heart.
July 25, 2013
yo thats ma favouritete movieous i give all
May 21, 2013
This is a movie i grew up with and was terrified of that pregnant scene as a child
½ April 16, 2013
Granted, the plot is not always the most complicated one around. But hey, it's sword and sorcerers! Who cares about unexpected plot devices? This movie has beautiful damsels in distress, it has love, it has a bit of horror, it has fast paced action, it has a good score with a catchy theme. All that is needed in this genre.
½ March 31, 2013
This movie has got it all. You have Marc Singer in a loin cloth and tiara, Rip Torn throwing children into a pit of fire, and a tiger dyed black. Unfortunately the tiger died two years later from skin complications. Members of PETA might wanna skip this one.
This movie was played so often on TBS and HBO that they were dubbed "The Beastmaster Station" and "Hey, Beastmaters On".
A must watch for any fantasy fan.
February 11, 2013
Ridiculousness. Spoiler alert, it all ends with baby ferrets.
½ February 9, 2013
Reminds me of growing up during this reintroduction of the sword-and-epic adventure fantasy movies. It is completely ridiculous in nearly every aspect that director Don Coscarelli (PHANTASM) has at his disposal, which is confounding b/c you clearly can see how they geared this for a younger audience (8 - 15 year old males probably) and at times does so astonishingly well enough considering this was the early '80s and clearly not a huge budget production, but there are enough production dollars there....though at times you can't tell what they spent it on. Rip Torn is in this. Um...yeah that's good. Lots of bad aspects that also get real weird at times such as seeing John Amos get geared up in bondage for a fight scene on a pyramid and a tar moat that explodes during the climax. Oh and the hero walks around with telepathic powers between an eagle, a black tiger and two ferrets. I don't understand how you could not want to watch this so-bad-it's-good movie based on that previous sentence alone.
½ December 12, 2012
I enjoyed it, even if it was a bit too long.
½ November 21, 2012
Really great actually!!
October 29, 2012
I want a black tiger
October 23, 2012
A low-budget 80s classic that does the best a movie of its limitations could do, and makes for a memorable, exciting adventure with one of the most sweeping musical scores of the fantasy film genre.

Marc Singer as Dar is a ripped, Conan-like badass who many of us (as kids, sometimes as adults) pretended to be, mimicking his sword moves with a broken tree branch or praying we could have the power to see through the eyes of animals. There is a lot of fun to be had with the concept which in the end isn't put to use as much as it could have been; but, for what it was worth was amusing. Aside from a black tiger, and an eagle who eventually joins Dar in his quest for vengeance, the two ferrets, Kodo and Podo, are introduced in my favorite scene of the film (involving quick sand and telecommunication with the critters to get them to help him out of a 'sticky situation').

The tall, winged people who 'digest' their victims with their bat-like arms are unique, as are the mindless masked monsters (who I termed 'sado-warriors, because of their leather masked-and-spiked-glove features) created by priests as warrior-slaves.

The story may flow gallantly through the basic beats and rhythms all the way to its battle-filled conclusion, but fans of the genre can truly feel the inspiration flowing from Don Coscarelli's direction. The Jun Horde is brutal and merciless, as is Maax (Rip Torn), the sacrificer of children. They are both genuinely vile and worthy villains to our hero.

By the end, you may not feel the film has broken any new ground or created anything totally original, but for a pre-CGI low-budget film, you will be entertained with some pre-PG-13 rated topless female nudity, some dangerous, real-life stunts, and a satisfying and inspiring payoff.

*Random trivia bit: A real tiger was painted black for the production of the film. Unfortunately, the black dye was toxic, and the tiger died due to health complications and skin problems nearly two-years after production wrapped.
October 3, 2012
Silly 80s movie, not even saved by Tanya Roberts.
½ October 2, 2012
Introduced me to what ferrets are...feel bad for the tiger though....
½ September 19, 2012
As seen on Telefutura, the movie is partially what I expected from watching the TV show that aired in syndication around the 90s/00s (the TV show had some Asian sidekick). Many people wear loincloths, so only Tanya Roberts (Donna's mom from "That '70s Show") looked the least disturbing in one. I didn't mind that there was pretty much a half-hour of film w/o dialogue, but there were too many villains to keep track of. But still, it's good campy, escapist entertainment.
September 14, 2012
I grew up loving this movie.