Beasts of the Southern Wild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beasts of the Southern Wild Reviews

March 6, 2016
8,3 Excellent tout simplement
½ February 21, 2016
Child's eye view of life on the margins of America.
½ February 10, 2016
Where the film truly shines is how original and unique it manages to be. We don't just watch this world, we feel as if we are in it. It certainly will not appeal to everyone but those who appreciate the creativity of film and are fascinated by what a movie can be, will find enjoyment in it.
February 6, 2016
Beasts of the Southern Wild is one of the best movies of 2012. We follow a smart, energetic six year old girl with a great imagination played by the amazing Quvenzhane Wallis and her ill father played by the outstanding Dwight Henry. Cut off from the rest of the world and forgotten in a small bayou community their homes, beliefs and relationship are in need of repair. With her father ill, her home sinking and her community dying she must learn to survive and change her reality. The film is emotional and creative, the acting is outstanding, Benh Zeitlin did a fantastic job piecing it together.
½ January 31, 2016
The opening scenes of this movie are perfect. It's rare that I tear up in any film, let alone the first scene, but there was so much joy and life and humanity captured in the early frames that it was hard to bear and I found myself a little choked up. The rest of the film is great too: part gritty tale of dignity in poverty; part other worldly fable about cosmic balance; part political statement; part environmental apocalyptic tale. There are a few problems in the third act, and in the handling of the beasts themselves, but in the context of all the marvelous goings on in this film, the problems seem trivial. The child actor in the lead will break your heart, possibly the most adorable little girl in the world!
January 27, 2016
Quite a beautiful and emotional film, made with all amateur actors who are captivating to watch. Especially Hushpuppy the courageous little star, so memorable. A lot of things happen, a lot of characters are introduced, it was all very nice and imaginative. But it left me wondering; What was the point? What was that all about?

It seems to be a soulful and vaguely heartfelt journey about ..........Bravery, culture, community, family and maybe global warming? No one can really describe what is good about this film, they simply agree that it was "very unique" and "poetic". Roger Ebert said "You can turn this film into allegory for what ever you want". I don't like films like that. Too vague. It's unsatisfying.
January 22, 2016
Based on the play Juicy and Delicious by Lucy Alibar, and the directorial debut of animator Benh Zeitlin. This low budget fantasy film caused a critical buzz upon release. Made for $1.8 million, using non-professional actors and filmed on 16mm film, this sparse and poetic film owes a massive debt of gratitude to Terrence Malick, but it has an old fashioned,  endearing ramshackle feel about it. Set in Southern Louisiana, in a small run down bayou community called the Bathtub, which is cut off from the rest of the world by a levee. 6 year old Hushpuppy (Quvenzhané Wallis) lives with her hot tempered father Wink (Dwight Henry), who is slowly dying from a mystery illness, which he hasn't told Hushpuppy about. After an argument, Wink vanishes, and then a massive storm wipes out most of Bathtub. Hushpuppy is reunited with Wink, but he's badly weakened, and the residents gather together on a floating pontoon until the waters go down. But after Wink tries dynamiting the levee to get rid of the water, the authorities descend on the residents of Bathtub. It's a good idea for a film, with the philosophy that floods are caused by prehistoric creatures called "Aurochs" trapped in ice. It's not a film for everyone, but it shows how a small minority live in America at the minute, it's a 21st Century take on a Tom Sawyer existence, but it has some great performances in it, especially from first timer Wallis, who on the basis of this, got the lead in the remake of Annie (2014).
½ January 22, 2016
Unusual and imaginative!
January 15, 2016
A beautiful movie about a little girl and her father. But actually it's about being human, being part of something bigger and understanding where you fit in the puzzle of the universe. Loved every moment. Beautiful cinematography, only the necessary dialogue, no moment wasted.
½ January 11, 2016
One of the movies that has really stayed with me.
January 6, 2016
Reminded me of Tideland 10 years ago.
December 30, 2015
One of the most overrated films in recent memory. Beasts of the Southern Wild is confusing, a mixture of styles and genres which never feels cohesive, resulting in a sloppy mess.
December 21, 2015
Wildly original, but not my cup of tea.
December 14, 2015
Beasts of the Southern Wild was a unique and visceral experience. It's a tale of poverty and perseverance, a poetic illustration of youth. It has a desperate, determined energy and a wild, rugged look. There were many things I liked about this film, one of them being its minimalism and simplicity. There isn't a lot of dialogue or an overabundance of characters or setting. Hush Puppy's performance is incredible as a resilient little girl who survives through a terrible situation. This film has an angry realism and amazing imagery. The beasts thawing from the icecaps and running to meet her, the girl's hiding in a cardboard box from the fire and the community's fireworks celebration are all powerful. I didn't totally understand if this film had an environmentalist message, or if this girl was just trying to understand her place in the world. This a film filled with a ton of interesting ideas and no concrete answers.
December 11, 2015
"Once there was a Hushpuppy, and she lived with her daddy in The Bathtub."
December 10, 2015
No me ha resultado demasiado interesante de ver, ni es bonita, ni los personajes cercanos o la direccin relevante. An as es una pelcula que destaca por su protagonista, pero dira que es su nica fortaleza.
November 11, 2015
Definitely one of the best movies of 2013, fantastic direction and an incredibly strong performance from Quvenzhane Wallis.
½ November 8, 2015
I'm a fan of movies where strange things happen to 'normal' people. While I think this film needs a lot of time to be understood. Some of the imagery is pretty awesome, The only flaw is that it can be hard to connect to the characters and their situations as a result of the fantasy elements.
½ November 3, 2015
Very emotional and beautifully shot and acted. Definitely enjoyed this one. Stellar soundtrack also.
October 22, 2015
Raw, sad, imaginative and poetically beautiful. A fresh original.