Beasts of the Southern Wild Reviews

• 2d ago

Beasts of the Southern Wild is the most beautiful feature film Benh Zeitlin and Fox Searchlight Pictures has ever created.

• 3d ago

I wouldn't waste my time with this movie.

I wouldn't waste my time with this movie.

• May 13, 2020

The movie sees the world through Hushpuppy's eyes, she is not like a normal six-year-old most of the time, she is way more mature than her actual age, she had a strong sense of right and wrong, she is independent. But she still needs and wants her father. Her interactions with him are quite touching, although Wink doesn't usually talk about how he loved her daughter, it is quite clear through his actions. He teaches Hushpuppy to be independent but he is also very protective of her. Even though he is bad-tempered and a strong figure, it can be clearly seen that Hushpuppy considered him as her hero. It is quite a reflective piece when you first watched you may think that their lives are hard, but when you progressed, you realise that you only think so because you judge their lives through your standard and the context of the modern world. To them, living without boundaries and living to survive and connect with nature is what matters. Even though they may not live like us, it doesn't mean that their lives are miserable and worth saving. I've got one point to add is that he movie is beautifully shot, the film was shot on a 16mm film, which gives the film its uniqueness in colour tone.

• Apr 03, 2020

Un piccolo e sintetico film che nasconde una grandissima morale, molto velata e difficile da interpretare. Gli ambienti descritti risultano innovativi e assolutamente realiistici, narrati con uno stile registico terreno e ruvido proprio come il film necessita.

• Oct 02, 2019

The protagonist of this film is a six year old girl living with her abusive single father who uses her imagine to brighten up the apocalyptic world around her. The movie is more persuasive than others in convincing us to see the world through the eyes of a child but it is equally fascinating in how it shows the horrors of the world around her, many of which she is unaware of. Director Benh Zeitlin has never made another film but this film alone stands as an impressive achievement and hints at future success. I might not have nominated this film for Best Picture but I prefer it to Argo (2012) which managed to earn the top prize in 2012. Hushpuppy, Quvenzhané Wallis, is a six year old girl who lives on a levee closed off from the rest of the United States with her alcoholic father Wink, Dwight Henry, who tries to protect her while also mourning his wife. He tells her that her mother disappeared one day leaving open the possibility that she is still alive and often mysteriously disappears and then reappears. His daughter learns to fend for herself in an almost inhospitable environment as she studies the ‘aurochs' whom the locals believe will come back after a massive storm. Wink tries to have the levee blown up but faces health problems that cause him to die after the local authorities arrive to escort the residents of the bayou away. Hushpuppy frantically searches for her mother and finds a woman who may be her mother but has forgotten her. She leaves this unknown woman and tries to return to her father but is confronted by aurochs before being able to spend time with him in his last moments. One of the most wondrous aspects of the film is that it captures the feelings of childhood when the whole world seems like an unknown wonderland that is simply your playground. We are often asked to doubt Hushpuppy's outlook on the world as it seems odd that she has such freedom and is so able to roam around in a place where there appear to be few restrictions. Furthermore the creatures and thoughts of apocalypse that dominate her mind do not seem like the concerns of an adult and sometimes I doubted whether what I was hearing was true or the figments of this girl's imagination but this is one of those films that is meant to be open to interpretation. Produced on a low budget the film still looks distinctive and beautiful, disturbing when it needs to be, and terrifyingly realistic. Zeitlin often appears to be imitating Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) in the way that he displays the dilapidated structures that populate the bayou. The central performance, that of Wallis, was widely acclaimed and while I think she does a better job than most child actors at carrying a feature length film she is hardly Tatum O'Neal in Paper Moon (1973). She remains the youngest nominee ever for the Academy Award for Best Actress and her anger and confusion are convincing as well as being captivating. Of course she doesn't equal Emmanuelle Riva in Amour (2012) or Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook (2012) but this is a film that would not work if she were not capable of displaying a wide range of emotions in a short amount of time. The rest of the cast, untrained and non-professional actors, also convince with their rugged, seemingly unrehearsed performances add authenticity to a world that needs to seem rough instead of polished as a Hollywood movie star would seem. The five star reviews that this film earned are undeserved in my opinion because although this film does a lot with what it explores it does feel a little thin at times and sometimes it's lack of plot makes the film grind to a halt in an unpleasant way. Terrence Malick's specter also rests heavy over the film as it can feel like a pale imitation of his work at times with it's dreamlike qualities and beautiful cinematography. If you are willing to treat this film more as a fascinating experiment than a truly great film then it will be a richly entertaining experience.

• Dec 26, 2018

This movie had me bawling through half of it.

This movie had me bawling through half of it.

• Dec 16, 2018

Very evocative and felt like watching a dream. Timely and engaging.

Very evocative and felt like watching a dream. Timely and engaging.

• Nov 12, 2018

This isn't a movie. it's a visual poem. highly cathartic and just beautiful

This isn't a movie. it's a visual poem. highly cathartic and just beautiful

• Nov 10, 2018

Magnificent, emotional about love and life in a world outside the world

Magnificent, emotional about love and life in a world outside the world

• Oct 01, 2018

Despite wonderful performances and a exuberant tone this movie possesses, the movie feels utterly pointless.