Magical Mystery Tour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Magical Mystery Tour Reviews

½ December 30, 2012
No heads or tails, except "Your mother should know" which was a nice song
½ December 29, 2012
Bullocks! What a load of malarkey! Only 5 minutes of sort of coolness, all else bleach!
½ December 28, 2012
Offbeat fun with the Beatles and a colourful bus.
December 8, 2012
What's so interesting about a bunch of drug addicts riding a bus?
½ December 8, 2012
Just stick to the music, lads
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
½ December 7, 2012
Given the choice, many Beatles fans would like to write the very existence of this film out of their history. There's no denying that much of it is an over indulgent mess with little real substance. Substance is the operative word however as it's obvious that it was differing substances that were the real creative drivers behind it. What that leads to is a surreal mish mash of dream like sequences, comic skits and general odball-ness that has no real story and little purpose. Unbelievably this whole thing was made only three years after "A Hard Day's Night" - how quickly things had changed.

For what it's worth the film revolves around Ringo (always the main character in the Beatles films) who has taken his recently widowed aunt on a mystery tour that turns out to be on a bus full of eccentrics and performers - and the rest of the Beatles. The coach party head out through the British countryside and encounter various odd events... and that's about it.

Whilst when it was made the whole thing left most of it's audience scratching their heads, it looked way ahead of it's time. Now however it all looks horribly dated and an attempt at a cheap rip off of the more surreal Monty Python moments. It's not helped that there is very little musical performance from the Beatles themselves, and what is there is hardly amongst the top draw of their oeuvre. The songs on display are hardly catchy numbers aside from the title track and the seminal 'I am the Walrus' but even then that's more genius than most people could muster up in a whole career.

The whole thing meanders along before coming to a disjointed halt and then the credit roll. That. Is. All.
½ November 30, 2012
This movie is really good, and bizarre, the plot is really funny but incomprehensible
½ November 19, 2012
No heads or tails, except "Your mother should know" which was a nice song
½ November 4, 2012
Alice in Wonderland, minus the darkness - the nightmare intervals hold no stick to that Victorian macabre.

There are no scene links, never mind any such to match the ingenuity and neatness of Carroll's, but on-screen the rolling celluloid basically ushers you on, on a surprisingly joyful ride which was over before you know it. If it weren't for that I'm unsure of its rewatchability I would have awarded it another half-star.
½ November 4, 2012
Very silly movie. Basically one huge music video for the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour album. Music is great, of course, but the video and segues are self-indulgent,meaningless crap. The acting, especially by the Beatles members, is atrocious.

If it wasn't for the music and the fact that this is the Beatles, this would be a 1/10 movie.

About the only upside is that now I know where the band Death Cab for Cutie got its name from...
October 20, 2012
As a piece of entertainment for the general audience, it just flat out fails; it's a self-indulgent, incoherent drug trip. For hardcore Beatles fans, it's a fascinating watch.
½ October 14, 2012
Simply fabulous. Possibly the best film from the Beatles.
October 13, 2012
Just because it's The Beatles doesn't mean it's good!! Extremely difficult to sit through, this experimental film is only good for the "interludes" for the songs from the album of the same name. It's definitely apparent the directors were on some psychedelics when this concoction came about as it makes no sense and tries desperately to squeeze out a runtime of 60 minutes, which it even falls short of that. I gave it three stars because a lot of the cinematography and in and out of camera editing and trick photography is really cool stuff, the Beatles are in it and actually funny sometimes when on screen, and the soundtrack is amazing. That's it. Everything else is garbage. Easily a pass, but this is a big part of culture that needs to be seen. Goo goo gajoob!
October 11, 2012
Incredible music, not so incredible execution. Highlight was the race and the final number of 'Your Mother Should Know'. Proof you need a script or some form of direction for a movie, even if you are The Beatles.
October 10, 2012
There is a distinct possibility that this is a film that can only be appreciated by diehard Beatles fans, but as I am amongst that illustrious number I would not be fit to judge that proposition. For me, this was a brief glimpse inside the minds of the greatest band in history at one of their most creative periods, and whilst it is a chaotic and sometimes messy affair, it does brim with genuine creativity and I am sure that somewhere deep inside the film lies something really rather good, desperately trying to get out. There are moments, however, of pure madness and self indulgence, yet these are tempered with offerings by Victor Spinetti and some well thought out musical sequences that just about keep the whole thing the right side of the ridiculous. Not to everyones tastes, but for me it was an interesting and entertaining experience.
October 10, 2012
Bizarre and trippy experimental film by The Beatles, but quite enjoyable. Obviously the musical segments are all good, and the sketches and linking bus journey are all likeably mad. Not at all linear or rewarding, but fun all the same.
October 9, 2012
I saw Magical Mystery Tour in the 90's when it was shown on the Disney Channel, and I hated it. I was curious if the new 2012 DVD made any significant improvements over this much maligned effort, and I am pleased to say that it is much better now. Visually, the film looks beautiful, unlike the poor quality prints from previous years. The colors are very bright and cheerful. This may be the best color film of the Beatles from a technical standpoint, at least until they restore the films Help or Let It Be.

The Beatles' musical numbers are of course the highlight. "I Am the Walrus" is as good as any MTV video, and both "Fool on the Hill" and "Your Mother Should Know" look and sound much better on this restored print. Although the film was Paul's idea, and John later bad-mouthed the project, it is Lennon that is the star of the film. His delightful facial expressions, fully lines, and amusing array of hairstyles and costumes make an otherwise disorganized film more watchable. In the Beatles' early Hamburg days, it was John who was the star of the show for the same reasons. Ringo has a well-acted scene at the beginning, and longtime Beatles roadie Mal Evans appears in several scenes, just as he did in Let It Be. George Harrison, on the other hand, seems bored and disinterested; he has no lines and appears in a less-than-inspiring music video to "Blue Jay Way."

The film itself is still a disorganized mess, although the edits are a bit more professional that the version I saw many years ago. There was obviously no script. The scenes appear to be out of chronological order. Near the end, there is a sequence where the passengers on the bus sing to an accordion at night, and it's spliced with a scene of Paul trying to ride a tandem bicycle with a dwarf on the beach during the daytime. Nothing really makes sense. A couple of scenes are interesting: the military scene, which starts off disturbing but becomes funny thanks to excellent acting by Victor Spinetti, and the spaghetti scene, which also was difficult to watch but becomes funny thanks to John's funny hairstyle and acting.

If they show this film on TV again, I would cut the stripper and accordion scenes entirely, change the sequence of the scenes (the Mr Bloodvessel as the Courier scene should be before his romantic beach sequence with Jessie), and add commercials, which oddly would provide a needed break between these disorganized scenes.
October 2, 2012
It's The Beatles, need I say more? OK I will: I Am The Walrus, Fool On The Hill, Blue Jay Way! OK I'll say even more... I had low expectations for the movie and high expectations for the music. But the movie was actually very funny, not the psychedelic mind trip mess I expected, very much in the vein of Hard Day's Night. The sergeant, Ringo's aunt dreaming & with her boyfriend, and Death Cab for Cutie were the highlights for me.
September 27, 2012
An absolute ramshackle! No narrative or actual characters, but some great songs (I Am The Walrus, Magical Mystery Tour, The Fool on the Hill) but not enough to make any sense. Still, it's fun and The Beatles were clearly 'assisted' by other substances, so you can't blame them for trying!