Beau Geste - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beau Geste Reviews

January 27, 2016
It is a classic that was put on my radar while watching "breaking Bad" so I watched it. It was ok. I think one of the things that would help understand it and I am not sure about this but Beau his first name and Geste his last name are french for good gesture.
½ August 1, 2014
From perhaps the best year for film ever,1939, comes this wooly, bully adventure tale of brotherly love and the French Foreign Legion as three guys match wits with a sadistic commander out in the mysterious desert sands. Gary Cooper, Ray Milland and Robert Preston are the brothers, joined to the Legion of Lost Men to save the family at home, and always seem a great bunch of guys to be around. Brian Donlevy steals the film though as the sargeant from hell, the bad guy, eating every scene he's in. They literally don't make them like this anymore, I don't know why.
August 26, 2013
Old fashioned, but a well told story with likeable characters. Not so much adventure as melodrama, but pretty entertaining. Perhaps a wee bit overrated today though, as it has dated.
May 27, 2013
Another reason why 1939 was the pinnacle of American cinema.
April 21, 2013
I saw this movie for the first time as a little girl. My dad made my brother and I sit on the couch after having a knock down drag out. Our punishment was to sit on the couch until dad gave us the okay to get up. As we sat, we started paying some attention to the movie Dad was watching on tv. It was THIS VERY Beau Geste.
After about 30 minutes of sitting out our punishments on the couch, we were given the chance to get up.
We refused. We were transfixed and wanted too finish watching.
My brother was about 8 and I was about 6 at the time.

That says A LOT for the brilliance of this movie in that it was able to capture the attention of two little pouty kids who'd just bruised the tar out of each other. BRILLIANT!!
March 18, 2013
Wonderful adventure story. Three brothers defend their honor both at home and at the front.
February 2, 2013
Gary Cooper is at his best - in looks and talent.
Also, this movie made me cry because it was the first time (if not the only time), my favorite movie star dies in a movie.
January 18, 2013
A good old-fashioned action yarn, I first saw this when I was a kid and just recently saw it again. You can't really go wrong with a cast of the quality of Gary Cooper, Ray Milland, Robert Preston and particularly Brian Donlevy in a scene-stealing turn.
October 14, 2012
Boys' Own stuff, gallant gestures, brothers in arms and lives laid down for the benefit of others. This film has them all. Strong performances from the three brothers but it is Donlevy who steals the show with the duplicitous Sergeant who plots and schemes to gain the jewel.
July 29, 2012
High adventure in the North African desert with the brothers Geste played by Cooper, Milland and Preston. Brian Donlevy is very good as the hateful Sargeant Markoff and J. Carrol Naish is his creepy sidekick.
July 21, 2012
The cinematography is very good in this one, and the story is slow-burning, but rewarding in the end.
May 28, 2012
Maybe not quite the classic that I had led to be believed but it's a good well acted film which has very much a story book feel to it.
May 29, 2011
Need this for my DVD collection, if the movie is ever released in Australia.
February 9, 2011
I was quite disappointed by this. It is a goodish movie, but I was expecting more. Maybe it is the fact that the story has been told so many times, but it was all a bit underwhelming. Maybe it was the la-di-da accents that put me off.

Plot is OK, direction is OK. Acting is good, especially from Gary Cooper. Ray Millland wrecks another movie with his accent (Dial M for Murder was the other one where he irritated me).
September 20, 2010
A pretty good story, but the movie is kind of boring too. I've never really cared for military stories, but this one has more to it. It's a pretty good movie.
½ August 29, 2010
Although the plot may seem for some a little too stale and creaky, particularly regarding the English drawing-room scenes that bracket the main action in French North Africa, this film is still a paragon of the exotic Hollywood mystery/action-adventure. Gary Cooper, as old-school gentlemanly and stolid as ever, will never be mistaken for an Englishman - but he does a fine job centering the cast as the title protagonist. As with the earlier 'Morocco', his honest and strong but silent demeanor seems quite at home in these Foreign Legion films. A very young Robert Preston (way before the Music Man) and Ray Milland acquit themselves ably as Beau's devoted brothers. However, it is Brian Donlevy's sadistic martinet of a commanding officer that makes the most lasting impression. An added treat - a very young Donald O'Connor and Susan Hayward! Broderick Crawford also has a bit part.
August 20, 2010
Unneedlessly layered drama about three brothers who run away and join the Foreign Legion rather then fess up who actually took the family jewel heirloom. Did we really need to find out about their youth? And what of the 4th brother? When they get to the Foreign Legion, it sort of picks up, but still, this is a bit of a drag. Nifty beginning though.
August 16, 2010
A great adventure classic. The opening scene in a fort full of corpses sticks in the memory forever, and Brian Donlevy's role as a sadistic sergeant makes a striking impression as well.
½ March 14, 2010
Still a great film. One of my favorites.
September 1, 2009
Beau Geste (1939)

This Willam Wellman, Hollywood classic deserves to be a part of any man's DVD library. I know, those old movies deal with imperialism and this movie was obviously gearing the kids up for World War II, but this is a great action movie all the same.

The movie starts out in the middle with a mysterious deserted French fort, and goes back to the young Geste boys who are staying at Lady Patricia Brandon's (Heather Thatcher) house, along with Isobel Rivers (Susan Hayward). Young Beau (Donald O'Connor) grows up to be a handsome young man (Gary Cooper) and his brothers, John (Ray Milland) and Digby (Robert Preston) are hungry for adventure.

So, when a family gem comes up missing, and Beau has taken off, the other two brothers leave the house too, and join the French foreign legion. By pure luck, they meet at this one fort, defended against the desert hoards by a cruel Sergeant Markoff (Brian Donley). Although Beau hates Markhoff's sadism, he admires his desert warfare savvy. The trick is just trying to live through it.