Beautiful Ohio - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beautiful Ohio Reviews

September 14, 2016
This was a real gem..a kind of tone-poem, which I thoroughly enjoyed. In a word, it is a character study of an eccentric American family, with members who are anything but boring, and the picture had some particularly poignant moments, and overall fine acting. I was glad I had the foresight to record the film on DVD disc. I am mystified by all the poor reviews. Perhaps prejudice, or many of the critics actually viewed another film. Now, "Raising Arizona," "Smiley's People" and "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (and portions of "The Fifth Element")...those were dogs. Oh, though the ending was not fully satisfying, it contained a nugget of great fun. Left me with a chuckle, as I stepped into the kitchen for another glass of wine. A very worthwhile film, and yes, sometimes the critics DO get it wrong!!!
September 14, 2016
The screenplay didn't ring true, the dialogue was too pat. The acting wasn't bad. Too slow moving at times and it didn't flow smoothly. But it does have some memorable moments. Not much of an effort toward period detail.
September 14, 2016
Excruciatingly slow, and the genius older brother with his "secret" language got old really quick. I couldn't say it was a total waste of time, as there was some good bits and it did pick up somewhat one hour in, but I found the first half very, very slow, and the end part way too rushed with no real answers.
The pacing on this movie was definitely a little off.
½ September 14, 2016
Michelle Trachtenberg is a sight to see, and this movie is a good one to watch..
September 14, 2016
It was a surprisingly good movie with subtle intricacies that I wasn't expecting. The movie began painfully slow, but I actually enjoyed the more finesse way in which the characters were developed. I just wish that the last quarter of the movie wasn't rushed to a close the way that it was. I feel that the fine acting and wonderful character development were in a way wasted on the ending. Overall, I thought it was a good movie with a nice message, I just really wanted a better ending with more of the loose ends tied up. Also, with the older brother playing as vital a role as he ended up being, it wouldn't have hurt to allow his character to have something more to give to the plot other than being completely flat until the last 5 minutes.
November 10, 2011
I thought this film was pretty dull. It tried way to hard to be edgy and just came across as silly. While I totally get the intention, the exploration of family relationships and the complexities of human nature, I felt all potential was lost early on.
September 17, 2011
good solid directorial debut from actor chad lowe but that was 5 years ago-how come no sophmore effort?
June 4, 2011
This movie was so boring to me I took it out after 30 minutes.
February 8, 2011
A beautiful film about an almost over confident family that has a lot to learn from each other, especially the children.
½ January 23, 2011
slow movie ,but funny at times lol
½ July 29, 2010

This movie is not really my thing, or my style. But it worked for me.
½ March 25, 2010
Strange with very little suspense, but a big surprise at the end. Something about it though kept me interested until that point. Personally, I loved it.
½ November 10, 2009
How boring was this movie?? I watched TV, read a book and cleaned my house and was still able to follow this. This was beyond boring, served no place in film and accomplished nothing. A pretentious screenwriter decided to make a film about empty, boring, shallow smart people who talk down to the viewer. The entire time they think they're saying something important but aren't. This was a waste of my time. The entire time I kept thinking, what's was the point? I'm not even sure there was a plot. Was there a plot? No character development, no story, nothing of any interest. Its just bunch of random scenes where people debate art, education, culture and Plato. A huge disappointment because I really liked the concept.
November 9, 2009
This was a waste of my time. It was a huge disappointment because I really like Michelle Trachtenberg. It's about a messed up family that gives all their attention to their genius son who is into all the bad stuff you can think of and his parents don't do anything about it. What was the point? It didn't have a good message it just seemed like a lot of random scenes that make you feel like the human condition is depressing.
½ July 19, 2009
It's slow and almost plotless, but you really care about the characters and what happens to them. A nice movie if you're in the mood for something more character-driven.
June 10, 2009
This film i found to be extremely dull and not very entertaining at all the performances from everyone are bland and the film itsself is just not worth seeing so skip it.
June 7, 2009
I couldn't finish it.
½ May 14, 2009
this film is dull, ungrounded and has no real draw or appeal to it. the emotions that are supposed to be brought out of the viewer are ridiculous in my opinion, i mean are we really supposed to feel sorry for this kid because he's too smart? i watched this only for william hurt, who was good, but not a reason to jump into this one.
February 20, 2009
Bleh... boring. I honestly didn't care about the characters and the movie dragged on and never gave me a reason to care.
½ December 23, 2008
I really didn't care for the pedestal that this movie put math on. Too much pretention was exuded throughout the film and took over the majority of the time in the movie that could've been used to develop the storyline more instead of popping the surprise at the end of the movie, then having the movie end like that.