The Beautiful Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beautiful Country Reviews

½ December 8, 2009
This movie was supposed to be an emotional journey, but I really never got into it. Bad stuff happens but I didn't develop the attachment to the characters like you are supposed to.
November 2, 2009
Like last year's Slumdog Millionare I found the fact that this film was so aesthetically beautiful in such contrast with what was actually being shown that the extreme struggles that the main character, Binh (Anh Thu) goes through seemed slightly diminished (in Sliumdog they were totally negated). Strangly though, the last portion of this film, which takes place in America, dropped the more stylized look of the first 3/4 of the film for a more natural look. I'm not sure if director Hans Petter Moland was trying to suggest that life in America is somehow just as bad or worst then what we had seen up to that point. Certainly Binh doesn't seem to have it much better once he arrives, but not much better is still a little better. And of course there's the fact that Binh succeeds in his mission and how we whether this constitutes a "happy ending" or not. I'm not sure, I think I need to watch it again. I just want to add that the overall quality of the acting is very high with a really fine, understated performance by Nick Nolte in a small but pivitol role.
½ October 5, 2009
An epic story of hope. Damien Nguyen was great.
½ July 3, 2009
You should see this movie...
spaulsson
June 26, 2009
Turns into a very gripping movie after a slow beginning. A few unexpected twists adds to the suspense. We get to see both misery and hope when the characters is searching for the American dream. Great acting and photography.
June 7, 2009
A ravishingly beautiful and devestating film, about a man's jorney to love at all cost's. I don't want to give away anything about this film, but I can say that I recommend it to anyone who has a love for films. A compleatly unpretentious story that echoes parts of the character of Job in the bible. One of the best films of the decade.
May 16, 2009
this is one of my favorite movies, i luv it! but its a little sad.
April 1, 2009
stark, harsh, darkly written and mostly sad. A very harsh tale of hardship, misery and human suffering. OH, add some malice by random , sporatic characters and there it is.
½ January 18, 2009
What an exhilarating, near-enchanting epic story about Binh, a shy half-American, half-Vietnamese man who embarks on a long journey to find his estranged father in America. The film goes to so many places and we meet so many interesting characters, that it feels like anybody watching this movie can find somebody to identify with. The film has many hard, and sometimes tragic obstacles that consistently cause Binh to question whether he can continue to go on, but he does. Anh Thu, who plays Binh, does a solid job in the lead. And the amazingly beautiful Bai Ling is simply great as a woman who agrees to help Binh on his journey. And I must say that Nick Nolte appears at the end of the film, and perhaps gives one his best performances in many years. But I don't want to give away too much about the ending, as it's really one of the most perfectly executed endings I've ever seen in any movie. The film has some flaws and some breaks of reality. And I still don't fully understand the meaning behind Tim Roth's character. But still, like "Babel", this is a movie where the raw sweeping emotion of the picture really keeps the film on a very high level.
August 28, 2008
I am not sure what to say about this film. The main character somehow does not show much emotion and the story just keeps on comming at you. There is too much happening in one film to make it into a great film. Maybe it could have been longer. After all is a good story but you will not cry or laugh out loud but it will take you on a journey.
August 25, 2008
i had no idea what this film was going to be like, my mom had gotten it for a couple bucks at blockbuster. it was very good, though. a sad story, with excellent acting. but i have no idea why nick nolte's photo is so large on the cover-- he was barely in the film at all!
August 19, 2008
Vietnam, son of american soldier take a long boat trip to find his father in texas. Interesting story with plenty of truly vivid pictures.
August 9, 2008
A strong film that examines several controversial and thought provoking themes. Beautifully made.
August 9, 2008
Pienistä ärsyttävyyksistä (miksi Nick Nolte on pistetty ekaksi leffan tähtikaartiin, vaikka esiintyy vain ehkä vartin - sinänsä muistettavasti - loppukohtauksesssa, kuinka pieni 3-vuotias vietnamilaispoika osaa yhtäkkiä englantia, ja miksi ihmeessä pääosan esittäjän täytyy jäädä joka paikkaan toljottamaan kohtalokkain seurauksin) huolimatta hieno ja ajaton tarina miehen matkasta kauniista maasta vähemmän kauniiseen.
August 8, 2008
Set up & camerawork - perfect; character development - very good; character depth - mixed; music - perfect; lights - average.
As for the storyline, except for the fact that it could use a bit more dynamic, it was not bad at all - emotional, but not sappy, depressing, but not a common tear-jerker. I really like what Moland did to the otherwise boring and stereotypic genre.
July 2, 2008
The Chinese name for America is "beautiful country", which is where this film gets its title. About the son of a Vietnamese woman and an American GI who travels to the States to see his father. Not a realistic film, but it still a pretty good one.
½ June 30, 2008
A very good movie! Quality film, great sets, great scenery, good acting, good story, just a good movie all around. About a man from Vietnam, trying to find who his father is, an American, and traveling around the world to find him. I really liked this movie and highly recommend it!
½ June 30, 2008
A very good movie! Quality film, great sets, great scenery, good acting, good story; just a good movie all around. About a man from Vietnam trying to find who his father is, an American, and traveling around the world to find him. I really liked this movie and highly recommend it!
½ June 18, 2008
Amazing cinematography, sound design and acting... The story seemed a bit badly paced though.
As for the music by Zbigniew Preisner - just awesomely amazing!
May 17, 2008
THE BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY is a beautiful film. Superbly acted, written, directed, shot, and scored. A gripping and emotionally powerful epic with characters you learn to love and scenes which will forever remain engrained in your memory. Absolutely perfect.