Beautiful Losers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beautiful Losers Reviews

½ March 22, 2011
I watched Beautiful Losers while doing six miles on a stationary bike in my living room. It's kind of Like Exit Through the Gift shop where it features graffiti/street artists, who eventually made it into main stream doing Pepsi commercials and such.

Shepard Fairy and his iconic Andre the Giant OBEY tags shows up again, but no Banksy, since it's strictly CA/NY. Harmony Korine also makes an appearance and others derivative of the skate board scene. I highly recommend this documentary for people who make POP art, doodle, dapple in it or just like the way it looks.
January 25, 2011
Interesting, but underwhelming documentary about art. Had some good things in it, and the artist interviews were enjoyable, but felt a bit lacking somewhere.
½ January 25, 2011
i love what all of these guys were doing back in the day, but i guess i would've rather seen a documentary from back in the day then, you know? not some hipster bullshit hero worship doc...
January 12, 2011
Fantastic documentary; if you're an artist, you will love this!
January 12, 2011
BeYoutiful Winners you all! Got inspired, I like the soundtracks as well!
½ January 10, 2011
Wow, what's your earliest memory of art? Something you created, or a work by someone else? This film is about a group of likeminded individuals found their common ground and appreciate art. Such a good documentary.
December 10, 2010
Barrista told me to watch this. Talks about obey guy
November 26, 2010
A great documentary of artists that really started to change the way that people viewed art. I think that anyone that is studying art or is interested in the current movements that are taking place should really take the time to watch this.
October 23, 2010
Great Documentary...very inpiring.
½ September 18, 2010
I kind of consider this movie to be sister-in-viewing to In The Realms of the Unreal. Again appears art and unusual people, and that's just the way I like it. This time, though, there are many individuals and they all play a part in the art that we see (as well as take for granted) in today's mass media. It's funny to think that actual people make these grand images. In my mind, giant corporations just belch it all out without much thought besides profit.

All of these people so ridiculously amazed me as I watched this film. They just do what they do, and they never let anything stop them. Enough people notice them after a while, and voila, they make huge money designing shapes that Nike wants to plaster on its television ads. I guess their talent, combined with their persistence, pays off after a while - but you've got to have a lot of talent and a lot of persistence. I admired these people. Even when I see them hanging around in what looks like city slums, perhaps places they used to spend time, it looks somehow glamorous in that gritty way things in movies do but never in real life.

Of course I was inspired to do my own art, do my own thing, etc. after this movie concluded. That's the good thing about films like these - hey, they can do it, maybe I can too! Art is beautiful (it really is)! We need more of this! But I am saying this from a jaded point of view now. These people's mission in life is so simple - get the art out there. If only the rest of us could figure it out so easily. And yes, there is a pattern of thinking like this in my reviews.
½ July 21, 2010
Inspiring, enlightening and hugely entertaining documentary, delving into the cultural boiling pot of underground art and media in the United States through the late 1980s to today, and how a group of seemingly rag-tag individuals who had just the right mixtures of both talent and passion, ended up changing the art world forever. There are some really great interviews and archival footage mixed in with the work of these truly unique and fascinating individuals and the film offers an uplifting insight into the world of modern pop art and underground culture and how the only real sell-outs are those who finally 'grow up'. A superbly made and massively enjoyable film.
½ July 19, 2010
In many ways, an artist's work is more compelling than the artist themself
½ June 6, 2010
You would have to be an artist in order to enjoy this. The whole movie is basically artists talking about themselves. I found it inspiring, but as a movie it isn't excellent.
May 15, 2010
Beautiful Losers is a documentary on the do it yourself art culture that became prominent in the early 90s. It interviews several now famous artists that had their beginnings in finding each other, hanging out and creating things that interested them. The stories, art and history are well presented and interesting though there are times when the stories and views expressed by the artists can begin to feel repetitive.

This documentary got me to think about a few things unrelated to its explicit presentation. The first thing I noticed was how much of a Gen X phenomenon the whole movement was. All of the artists exhibit very similar postmodern, post-structuralist views and attitudes. While that is in no way a denigration of the work they did or they influence they've had it does compartmentalize them to some extent and reveal limitations to continued influence. This makes me wonder what kind of influence and ideas Millenials will come up with relative to art during our time. Is there anything left to do in art once DIY street art has been done ad nauseam?

I saw a video of a TED presentation where a lady gave a defense for why she believed video games is a legitimate possibility for "high art". She compared video games in its current stage to the beginnings of language and drawing. In the beginning they were means for simple communication, poetry and artistic expression came later. Video games are just beginning to explore areas beyond the traditional conception of the win-lose game. Will this be the realm of our contribution to art history and aesthetic evolution?

Another thing I began to wonder is what exactly makes a person passive? Some of the videos of the gallery shows are unintentionally funny because the viewer watches a bunch of yuppies and hipsters walk around consuming more of the same ideas and "creativity" that have turned them into another brick in the wall of a mass homogeneous cliche. The street art movement has been trying to battle a kind of passivity in the aesthetic of the urban environment of sameness of colors and materials in the buildings. This then ends up having implicit or explicit critiques of consumerism, technoculture, urbanization, suburbanization and the politics that underlie much of these phenomena. However, for all the ingenuity and originality it seems like one kind of passivity has been traded for another. Inundated by the passivity of apathy represented by mass culture, brick, concrete and steel we swing to another end where we accept media overload: billboards, music always playing, latest movies, life determined by the tv schedule, etc. In street art's best Brechtian moments hasn't it become little more than the cultural equivalent of the internet pop up ad demanding everyone's attention to some idea or way of seeing?

I think the most interesting questions and thoughts this documentary raises are those it probably didn't intend to raise. Where is art headed? What will the next generation do? Can art continue to distinguish itself or is it bound to eventually repeat itself and become a rehashing of everything that's been done before?
½ May 14, 2010
It all just became too much... give me a fucking break.
May 7, 2010
Very in depth documentary, and they spent a good amount of time focusing on each artist.
April 28, 2010
Interesting but somewhat depressing.
April 20, 2010
BEAUTIFUL LOSERS celebrates the spirit behind one of the most influential cultural moments of a generation.

In the early 1990's a loose-knit group of like-minded outsiders found common ground at a little NYC storefront gallery. Rooted in the DIY (do-it-yourself) subcultures of skateboarding, surf, punk, hip-hop, and graffiti, they made art that reflected the lifestyles they led. Developing their craft with almost no influence from the "establishment" art world, this group, and the subcultures they sprang from, created a movement that transformed pop culture.

Starring Shepard Fairey, OBEY founder and creator of the Barack Obama "Hope" poster; award-winning pro skater Ed Templeton; Harmony Korine, writer of the cult favorite KIDS and director of GUMMO and MISTER LONELY; and Mike Mills, director of THUMBSUCKER and designer of album covers for Beck, Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, and more. Also starring Barry McGee, Chris Johanson, Geoff McFetridge, Jo Jackson, Margaret Kilgallen, Stephen Powers, and Thomas Campbell.
April 19, 2010
Kind of interesting, I ended up wanting to slap a few of these people though.
April 10, 2010
It's great to see success coming from artist. It's great to see these artist doing their thing and great to see Shepard Fairey throw in his two cents :)