Beautiful Losers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beautiful Losers Reviews

March 28, 2010
Beautiful Loser was an awesome movie. The people in this flick make me feel normal. Loved it!!!
½ March 19, 2010
Wish there was more Korine. This could easily have been hours and hours, but it was still very interesting.
½ March 10, 2010
It's like "Dogtown and Z-Boys" with spray cans, paintbrushes and cameras. I love it!
½ March 9, 2010
Beautiful Losers (Diretores: Aaron Rose, Joshua Leonard) - Doc sobre artistas que saíram da cultura underground e viraram hype. Belo cartaz.
lesleyanorton
½ March 8, 2010
Documentary on a group of self-made artists in 90's New York and how their DIY mentality influenced the mainstream world of art and advertisting. As a fan of artists whose primary focus isn't to be as cool as humanly possible (cf most surfer dude documentaries) it was nice to see artists enthusiastically dissing their early works and emphasizing how nerdy they were, but it was hard to tell how they got from there to fame or indeed how famous they got to be. But there's a definitely charm in a philosophy that embraces all of us who still secretly like to "make stuff" at home.
½ March 7, 2010
I'm pretty sure an amazing documentary could be made about any of these artists, but as a whole for me, this documentary doesn't work. Continuous interviews are poorly linked together that make for altogether pretty monotonous viewing.
February 3, 2010
In the early 1990's a loose-knit group of like-minded outsiders found common ground at a little NYC storefront gallery. Rooted in the DIY (do-it-yourself) subcultures of skateboarding, surf, punk, hip-hop, and graffiti, they made art that reflected the lifestyles they led. Developing their craft with almost no influence from the "establishment" art world, this group, and the subcultures they sprang from, created a movement that transformed pop culture.
February 1, 2010
Watched some amazing artists/do-it-yourselfers while amoungst some amazing artists/do-it-yourselfers. 'Twas an inspiring night!
January 19, 2010
I didn't really get sweeped in by this, but it is fun to hear the stories and see the "colors" of the NYC art scene during the late 90´s.
January 15, 2010
A slightly over-fawning and superficial account of an impressive career trajectory for a small group of artists.
½ January 14, 2010
Your enjoyment of this documentary depends entirely on how much you enjoy the artists on display here. I sought it out because I wanted to see the interviews with Harmony Korine, whose films I find totally fascinating. I was not disappointed with his segments, and I was inspired by the quirkiness of the other personalities featured, and their bohemian outlook on art and life. The documentary nevertheless loses momentum after awhile, and starts to feel outright redundant by its half-hearted conclusion.
December 30, 2009
The special features where the kids make stuff is cool. The kids are where its at.
½ December 26, 2009
Loved it, Really interesting to see how all these artists got thee start...
December 21, 2009
Somewhat interesting to start... them gets really sleepy.
December 14, 2009
A great look at the NYC art scene that formed during the late 90's, as a group of skaters, artists and film-maker's all came together around the are, each making their own art in whatever form and changing the art scene in major ways.

I was really impressed with this documentary, it gives a good amount of insight and context to the art being produced, as well as putting a face to some of the artists I've been familiar with via magazines like Juxtapoz.

Well worth a look, check it out.

Recommended.
½ December 8, 2009
meh... Het vervalt halverwege in een 'de-opkomst-van-skateboarden-documentaire'. Leuke types wel, maar zo speciaal is deze film niet.
½ November 20, 2009
documentary looking back on artists in the late 80s early 90s, aroundthenewyork area, therei nspirations, and motivesfor being who they are in life, a interesting watch, and does a tidy job of getting in minds of the people
September 17, 2009
Engaging, inspiring.
September 8, 2009
This was not one of the best documentaries I have ever seen but it wasn't the worst. Barry McGee's work is just brilliant if anything watch it just for that.