The Beaver Trilogy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beaver Trilogy Reviews

May 25, 2016
One of the greatest things I've ever seen. I can't stop thinking about it. It's on YouTube. Go watch it now.
April 13, 2016
In the late 70s, Trent Harris was testing out a camera for a TV station he worked for, and ran into a strange man who did impressions. The man later invited Harris to a talent show, in which he performed as Olivia Newton-John in full drag. This short documentary forms the first segment of the "The Beaver Trilogy." The second part is a cheaply made dramatic recreation of the events starring a young Sean Penn as the impersonator. The third is another dramatic recreation, this time starring Crispin Glover and featuring slightly higher production values and a little more story. It is all very weird. I also kinda liked it.
½ March 11, 2016
Uneven little cult film is unusual but monotonous.
September 2, 2015
I suppose that this is a part documentary as the first segment profiles a young man attempting to be dramatic into a camera. Sean Penn and Crispin Glover try to recreate the scene many years later with varying degrees of success. More special interest than anything worth remembering.
½ February 24, 2013
This movie is an interesting experiment. The director takes real footage about a real person and then re-shoots and tweaks it 2 different times with actors. The real footage is funny and weird, the recreations are also humorous and strange.
October 22, 2012
Although the visual style appears to be as makeshift as home video comes, the unsuspecting viewer has already been introduced to one of the many structural interplays that make Beaver Trilogy a unique artifact. As one watches very funny examples of amateur local color strutting its stuff with reckless abandon, aspects of what could be called a "pathetic aesthetic" come into play. Is this a condescending exploitation of complete outsider artistry? Or is it an example of a keen documentarian's eye doing exactly what keen documentarians' eyes are supposed to do? That is, show the viewer things never seen before. The only other alternative for documentary excellence is to show old things in new ways...Much theoretical noise has been made about the disappearance of the real, the primacy of the simulacra, and the end of art in a post-everything world. If you'd like to address these issues and walk away with laughter, rather than a headache, search out Beaver Trilogy. Forgoing that, you'll just have to wait for the Hollywood remake. And that will most certainly be a long time coming.?Chris Chang, Film Comment
April 10, 2010
This is so totally one of the greatest pieces of cinema that was ever created. From unconventional perfection to a fantastic impersonation of an 'impersonator' to another unimaginably brilliant impersonation of said 'impersonator', this trilogy has it all. Sean Penn is hysterical when he is singing; I couldn't stop laughing. I had already seen Glover's performance first, which is very close to the o but so amazing on it's own without anything else. Trent Harris needs to do way more with Crispin Glover, since the two films I own of their combo are so utter fantastic it's unbelievable.
As for the story other created footage with Penn, it's great and heartbreaking. The extra adds to the story and adds an entire different level to the original footage. So much emotion. Such a great ending.
As for The Orkly Kid, a.k.a. the Crispin Glover film I had been waiting so long for, it started off very strong. The opening visuals are the perfect build up to this brilliant short. As the third in the series, it feels the most like a film. It adds a beginning with new characters, which is pretty cool. And E. G. Daily is in this too! I'm pretty sure one of her songs is playing during the dance number just before Glover's performance, which makes this that much more fantastic. So much more emotion and character development is loaded into this. This is probably the most serious role I've ever seen Glover do, and he is different from what he normally does. I wish he'd do more stuff like this.
I have never seen anything like this trilogy, and I recommend it to any and everyone interested in seeing something new and different. Greatest trilogy of all time? I'd say so. Also, even though it is played about a million times, I don't think I could ever get sick of Olivia Newton John's "Please Don't Keep Me Waiting".
January 2, 2010
Kolme lyhytelokuvaa muodostavat yhdessä kokonaisuuden, joka on täydellinen. Näyttää kuinka sama tarina kulkee dokumentista fiktioksi ja miten fiktio omalla tavallaan kertoo "totuuden" paremmin. Osiot kuvattu vuosina 1979, 1981, 1985.
September 9, 2009
i'm glad this exists
September 9, 2009
For the original short. Sean Penns one is awful, no surprise there, Crispin Glovers is alright but also kinda hokey and fails to get the message of the original. The first one though is beyond brilliant.
August 27, 2009
A perfect example of the way in which film can be used as a weapon. Here, either in trying to make a social comment on its own destructiveness or in just being cruel, it seems to extract some kind of pleasure in humiliating its subject- a real, honest, heartfelt man by the name of Richard LaVon Griffiths. This poor man's story is exploited and ridiculed, and his absolute enthusiasm and trust in filmmaker Trent Harris is taken advantage of and eventually raped. I enjoyed spending a strange but good humored half-hour or so with the original Griffiths, but seeing him get made fun of and beat up was not something I enjoyed or even found value in. A hurtful project with no aesthetic or moral value.
February 2, 2009
Wow, quite the "film" to wrap your head around. Very enjoyable!
½ June 28, 2008
weeeird but hilarious
June 26, 2008
I'm so glad that I finally got to see this!
½ April 29, 2008
I really enjoyed this bizarre film. The first segment presents real-life footage (from the late 70s) of larry huff, an extremely unusual but also very sympathetic guy who prides himself on doing impressions. (He's obsessed with Olivia Newton-John and performs as her in drag.) The last two segments are fictional retellings of Larry's story starring, respectively, a very young Sean Penn and Crispin Glover. I like the film b/c 1. It raises interesting questions about the relationship between realism and fantasy and 2. It forces us to think about the ethics of documentary-making (a major interest of mine). I recommend it, but with the caveat that even I find it crazy.
March 1, 2008
Gary said it best during his Olivia Newton-Don impression: "I love you channel two, I hope you need me, too." Both sides of the camera are getting what they need in The Beaver Kid. I couldn't actually finish watching Sean Penn's performance after seeing Crispin Glover completely embody that character. He seems to think he's in an SNL skit, whereas Glover understands the humanity of what's happening during the talent show in Beaver and clearly has great love for the eccentric Gary. Beaver's Rich Little just wants to make people laugh, and maybe dress up like a woman now and then. It's hard not to be thrilled when you encounter a person being true to themselves.
February 7, 2008
This is a classic. I love Sean Penn's version. LOL
January 22, 2008
This film was not originally conceived as a trilogy and you can feel each of its three individual parts falling short of the director's obsessive hopes. However, when they are put together in this trilogy they collectively become an absolute masterpiece and one of the most inventive documentaries ever made.
January 9, 2008
Regeneration! Must be seen to be believed. I can't even tell you about it. OWN IT!