Because of Him - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Because of Him Reviews

jjnxn
½ March 13, 2016
Daffy comedy is helped immeasurably by the chemistry between Deanna Durbin and Charles Laughton. Not as good as their first teaming "It Started with Eve" but they make this far better than it should be.
½ September 29, 2011
I haven't seen any of her films before this but I imagine Deanna Durbin must have suffered a similar career fate to Doris Day, unable to make a film without studio bosses insisting she sing as well as act. Like Doris Day she can belt them out and the songs are pleasant enough, and her comedic talents are reasonable too. The 'aspiring actress hits the big time' story has been done much better than this but it's enjoyable enough.
December 23, 2010
Pleasantly unobtrusive, with an enjoyably hammy Laughton performance.
September 21, 2007
I love Deanna Durbin movies. Her movies were lighthearted frolics from the 1930's and 40's, calculated to snag you with her singing and cheerful demeanor. Her contagious joyfulness at singing leaps beyond the bounds of the camera and the years that have passed since this movie was made. '100 Men and a Girl' is another favourite of mine, and I love anything she did in her movies with the conductor Leopold Stokowski.