Beckett on Film - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beckett on Film Reviews

June 25, 2013
I saw this movie years ago on its first screening in Karachi, Pakistan. Both lead actors Peter O'toole and Richard Burton gave sterling performances. Both performers were at their very best.
½ April 5, 2012
My disclaimer is that in order to be an expert on ALAN RICKMAN I see everything he does. Truth be told - I saw this project BECAUSE he was in it. It was a brief perfomance, but poignant. To say that I "liked" this theatrical experience would be false. Liking it had nothing to do with it. If you've ever read Beckett, you know first hand that "like" isn't an emotion synonamous with his work. He brings loathing, disgust, sadness, dispair, and insanity fluidly to anyone with the mind to handle it. I think that's what my rating should be... I "HANDLED IT". Don't get me wrong here... it was entertaining. I learned from it. BUT (this is huge) you should not watch this unless you have an understanding of Beckett's writing. To the stupid or uneducated minds, his work seems boring or drags. His messages are difficult to take because he shines a spotlight on humanity's evil-doing. IF you pay close attention though, you will find moments of sweet clarity in those messages that make viewing these works worthwhile. I would advise viewers to have a happy-happy joy-joy film set up for after you finish this, so you're not depressed. LOL
May 26, 2010
A fantastic collection, does for Beckett what the BBC Shakespeare did for Will, and then some.
Beckett did not want his plays filmed; however on the page they can be inaccessible, and many are seldom performed. Yet the exploration of the isolated individual exisiting within a populated world holds true for every generation.
Purists will argue that the sets are over dressed, the close ups never intended, the interpretations too specific and far from the original deliberately open meanings. However the project renders some of his most challenging work accessible.
Took me right back to teen angst of finding myself; still resonates in mid life crisis!
A beautiful, humorous, sad, challenging collection. Additional documentary is fabulous.
A must see for everyone who cares about theatre.
April 4, 2010
This is addicting .. Click 2X .
½ September 9, 2009
a glorious hymn to the great playwright Samuel Beckett ....who was also a novelist, short story writer, poet, essayist ...
a "dream team " of actors and directors , worked in this phenomenon called Samuel Becket , who was not only the author of Condo .....
July 28, 2009
Samuel Becket has some rather interesting plays. I liked the one which Alan Rickman was in becuase of his immence acting talent. But my favorite of the plays was a one person show called. "Not I" It shows the classic Becket chatacter and was captivating to watch.
June 4, 2009
Waiting for Godot - ****
Not I - ***
Rough for Theatre I - ***
December 11, 2008
i only saw the part on Play. lots of awesomesauce on the actors.
½ November 7, 2008
October 6, 2008
Watched two so far, "Play", and "Not, I"...yikes...and a little creeped out are words which come to mind...maybe "Waiting For Godot"(something lighter, or at least with complete human bodies) next.

It goes without saying that these AINT for everyone, "Play" features Alan Rickman with his body in an urn, surrounded by two woman also in urns, in a graveyard. The three heads talk to and over each other, cursed in purgatory of repeating the affair the three were involved in again and again for all eternity, while jump cuts (which can be heard, as if the camer has a mechanical neck to noisely crane around), movie in swift closeups of one face to the next.

While "Not I" features only a close up of a woman's mouth, covered in lipstick surrounded by darkness(as if the mouth is floating), babbling, screaming, talking very fast, and performing surprisingly well with only a single body part to emphasize, action(trembling lips, have never said so much) Trapped in a similar purgatory the voice of a woman, who lived a lonely mute life, and is now talkative, but completely surrounded by a void(actually I watched a different version of this first, one without Julian Moore, as the woman, then the official one from this series with...I like her, but the non-film, non Julian more version is better in this case. An older sounding woman is just more effective.)...anyway more to come later...

Most of these are available on Youtbue, for those of you who are curious.
½ August 7, 2008
I felt left out when reading world theatre news, so decided to make due with Beckett on film. I understand why many of Becketts most ardent fans cringe at the idea of filming his works (which he did not want dont), but for those of us not yet able to jump on planes to Dublin, this has to be the next best thing.
August 2, 2008
what's more frightening than naked existential despair? samuel beckett purists.
July 18, 2008
Viewed Part Three, with Atom Egoyan's version of "Krapp's Last Tape" on 7/18. Pretty great stuff.
July 16, 2008
I'd give it 10 stars if I could. THE definitive film versions of each of Beckett's 19 plays for the theatre, starring tons of amazingly talented actors and directors. If you're a serious theatre person, you NEED to watch these.