Becoming Jane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Becoming Jane Reviews

March 14, 2015
An interesting movie. Kind of dragged a little.
February 2, 2015
It makes my heart warm, so that's all that matters to me.
½ January 30, 2015
It wasn't that spectacular. Very much drawn upon sense and sensibility and pride and prejudice. Anne Hathaway was decent, as was James Macavoy. Not a super memorable film really.
½ January 16, 2015
That was kind of depressing, Where is the happy ending All Jane Austen's books have...
January 6, 2015
Good story, well told. Unfortunately can't put my finger on why, but I was bored at times.
January 4, 2015
Very well done and superbly acted, although fictionalized, account of the relationship between Tom Lefoy and Jane Austen, but necessarily melancholy because the ending had to have one certain factual outcome. As with other beloved authors, Austen then wrote about happy endings she was never to experience for wish fulfillment. Sad for her, but a great boon for the world of literature and many enchanted readers the world over.
September 2, 2014
I should've known. Someone who hasn't experienced the pain of love lost/impossible/unrequited or similar wouldn't've been able to write the beautiful books she did. Sorry for you Jane. Sorry for you.
August 11, 2014
If I could only go back & time and put Anne Hathaway & James McAvoy in the previous year's Pride & Prejudice it would have been perfect.
½ July 25, 2014
This is possibly one of my favourite movies ever! I'm surprised it hasn't got more positive reviews! Anne Hathaway wasn't that good as Jane, but James McAvoy's performance was superb. The ending will have you in tears, if not that then other moments of the film will do
½ July 8, 2014
A beautifully well-written and well-cast movie of the fictional early life of Jane Austen. Anne Hathaway blows me away with every movie she makes and James McAvoy brings such emotion and realness to his romance movie characters. Both actors share a beautiful chemistry that support such a heartbreaking love story.
June 18, 2014
I liked it a lot but I am a Jane Austin junkie
May 27, 2014
Although some facts were fudge and stretched for cinematic value, its still an nice little film. Plus McAvoy and Hathaway have good chemistry going on.
April 27, 2014
It's Jane Austen, she's my favorite Author, so this should be interesting to see...and McAvoy? 'Nuff said.
February 15, 2014
Beautifully filmed, perfectly acted, the costumes and attention to period detail are amazing but there's also just something missing, and honestly its a little boring. I felt like I'd seen this all before and while I should have been caught up in Jane and Tom's ill-fated romance I was kinda meh, whatever about it. Although that formal dance they have together (its all in the eyes) was quite something. Enjoyed the entire cast and the feeling of being transported back to 1795. Frustrating time to be a woman. 01.18.14

"A biographical portrait of the romance between the young, love-struck (pre-fame) author Jane Austin and a penniless Irish Lawyer serves as the creative inspiration for her work in this enchanting, speculative story."
February 9, 2014
I remember seeing Pride and Prejudice many years ago, it is a beautiful film and I am told that the book is even more splendid. This film about the author behind that and other books in the genre is a very rich tale of love, class, nobels and the mob :)

It takes place in the country and London, but mostly far away from anything, so the scenes are very vivid and full of colour and natures brisk attitude. The acting is like taking them out of an old book and especially Anne hathaway and James McAvoy do a splendid job, but the rest of the cast and crew have worked hard to make the personalities, with quirks, errors and lovely characteristics stand out.
½ January 27, 2014
very romantic!
but the ending...
dont like it.
½ January 11, 2014
James Mcavoy = excellence :]]
December 7, 2013
This movie was SOOO good... I cried though. I knew Jane was never married in real life and just knowing that she and Tom would never be together... it killed me. Anne Hathaway redeemed herself for a lot of things with this movie. Because of her portrayal of Jane, she's now one of my favs.
December 2, 2013
See what they did here... took major plot points and character tropes from Jane Austen's novels life and fitted them into a story about Jane Austen!! AMAZING!!

Actually, it's not bad at all, thanks to a thankfully simple nuts-and-bolts script and a fine cast who do a very good job with adequate material. Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy are great, while James Cromwell & Ian Richardson are terrific in their supporting roles. It's largely forgettable and utterly inoffensive, but an enjoyable watch if you like this kind of thing. It's not a patch on the best cinematic versions of Austen's novels, which are definitely worth seeking out.

I was surprised to see that director Julian Jarrold's other work includes the made-for-tv 'Red Riding: 1974". That is a million miles (and 250 years) away from this; dark, gritty, violent and nasty. It's fantastic.
November 29, 2013
A biographical portrait of a pre-fame Jane Austen (Anne Hathaway) and her romance with a young Irishman.

also stars James McAvoy, Julie Walters, James Cromwell, Maggie Smith, Anna Maxwell Martin, Lucy Cohu, Laurence Fox and Ian Richardson.

directed by Julian Jarrold.