Bedtime for Bonzo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bedtime for Bonzo Reviews

March 2, 2014
It's funny that you can take a hot button topic like whether criminal behavior is learned or innate behavior and make possibly the most innocuous comedy imaginable out of it. No matter where you stand on the controversial issue, I guarantee you won't care how this movie turns out. That said, it's not exactly a bad movie. It's the kind of live action comedy Disney made in the 60s and 70s ... extremely bland, but entertaining. Like everyone else in the movie, Reagan is extraordinarily uninteresting.
March 23, 2012
Funny and silly moie. Pure family entertainment.
July 3, 2011
Funny and silly moie. Pure family entertainment.
October 12, 2010
Dutch Reagan's finest moment on film? Or a tragic waste of the human spirit? Harmless fun finds the Gipper playing 'Daddy' to said Bonzo, a very naughty monkey indeed. Bland as soggy Wonder Bread, with as just as many laughs. Makes some episodes of 'Leave It To Beaver' look like 'King Lear'. Something about heredity versus environment, a professor mit an Austrian accent und mustache, wacky hi-jinx involving climbing trees - ahhh...you get the idea. Bonzo is cute though. Interesting little known fact: Reagan would become President of the United States!
September 7, 2010
BEDTIME FOR BONZO (1951)
August 17, 2010
Not as Terrible as I Was Expecting

This is the second Ronald Reagan movie I've watched more out of idle curiosity than any real interest in the qualities of the film; let's hope this review doesn't get deleted in the same ignominious way as that for [i]Knute Rockne, All American[/i]. I shall be shooing the cat away if he comes within two feet of the keyboard. The thing is, I think you could tell a great deal about a person's politics back in the '80s by which movie they thought of Reagan's starring in. Republicans thought of him as the Gipper. Democrats thought of him as his character here, the inept psychology professor raising a chimp. Though honestly, I didn't know the plot of this one until I took it out of the envelope from Netflix yesterday. "Huh," I said. "That's what that movie's about." Then again, [i]Knute Rockne[/i] was in my head under "You know, a football movie." And it's not as though any of us were evaluating the movies based on Reagan's skill as an actor.

So, then. He is, as I said, an inept psychology professor, Peter Boyd. He wants to marry the lovely Valerie Tillinghast (Lucille Barkley). However, her father, the dean of that fine institution (Herbert Heyes), opposes the match because Boyd's father had been a criminal, and of course all of that is inherited, meaning that the dean's grandchildren would be criminals. In order to show the dean the folly of his assumptions, Boyd hijacks Bonzo the Chimp from the lab for a psychology experiment. If he is able to instill manners in Bonzo and make him suitable for basic human interaction, that will mean that criminal traits aren't inherited. Of course. And he ends up hiring the also lovely Jane Linden (Diana Lynn) as his housekeeper and Bonzo's nanny. They pretend for Bonzo's sake to be a loving couple, giving rise to belief in family values Republicans would espouse for decades to come.

Really, it's hard not to be snarky about this movie, and Reagan's presence only makes it worse. This is because the psychology and biology shown here are simply terrible. After all, we've brought cats and dogs into our homes, but that doesn't mean their wild relatives are equally ready to move in with us. Bonzo is specifically stated to be about two or three (and the department would know, because it's relevant), and that's largely because older chimps are less cute. All the ones you see in movies are babies, really, or anyway very young, because full-grown chimpanzees, if they are roused, are not at home to Mr. Reasonable. A full-grown chimp can damage a human pretty seriously, if it has a mind. As it is, I wouldn't want to be around a riled Bonzo, because even as a juvenile, they're still awfully strong. In the movie, it is reduced to turning over his crib and other wackiness, but in real life, well, chimps have pretty vicious teeth and a heck of a lot of strength. Pretending to cry will avail you naught.

Oh, and ye Gods, the psychology. There is, after all, that whole pretending to cry thing. In the wild, chimps find smiling a threat--you're baring your teeth, after all--and have no concept of tears. It's also hardly doing something because you want to or think it's right if you do it to make someone stop crying. What's more, in the universe of the movie, nature versus nurture is seen as either-or, and the idea that nurture has anything to do with anything is shocking and radical. In this one, the nature/nurture debate has lasted for a very, very long time, and the general consensus has begun to be that the answer is yes. I'm aware that the movie was made sixty years ago, but that doesn't mean any of what happens in it was particularly valid psychology then. The idea that someone would prevent a man's marrying that person's daughter because his father was a criminal is more Victorian than anything. Any educated man of the twentieth century would be able to point to plenty of counterexamples to the very idea.

All in all, this movie would have been forgotten decades ago if it had starred someone else. My understanding is that it essentially was until Reagan became President. It's a pretty forgettable movie, really. It's wacky. Cary Grant did something similar in [i]Monkey Business[/i], though admittedly only similar, and that's only memorable for its cast. (Including a very young Marilyn Monroe!) Honestly, I don't think anyone at the time expected it to become a genuine classic. I think they probably expected it to be what it would have been--a movie which people went to, laughed at, and utterly failed to take seriously. Plenty of movies like that get made every year. Within ten years, the assumption would be that, if anyone watched it again, it would be on television, perhaps on a Sunday afternoon when nothing else is on. It would have been that way; it was that way for a lot of years. But Reagan became President, and he tried to teach the country the same values he tried to teach Bonzo.
September 27, 2009
Bedtime for Bonzo (1951)

Finally, a Reagan movie that delivers ? not that he had much to do with it, of course. Bedtime for Bonzo is a refreshing film not created from loins of any other, but in fact a true original: A chimpanzee leads the cast through a plot where Darwinism isn?t mentioned once, and Charlton Heston never makes an appearance.

Bonzo?s cast are by no means Neanderthals, though between Bonzo and Reagan, it is not always easy to decide who is playing the chimpanzee. But throw into the mix Walter Slezak, as a brilliantly caged scientist speckled with all the right humor, and you have an interesting 83 minutes of film on your hands. The female talent occasionally sputters, but the chemistry on film is strong enough to keep the audience tranquilized while the monkey runs loose.

Though the plot is a bit bananas, it forms the core for the on-screen interactions to take place. If you consider the film?s design as a feel-good comedy, there is in fact very little to trip over: Bonzo elicits desirable laughs without a single cussword or resort to scatalogical humor. And even when the plot occasionally deadpans, eyes stayed glued to the screen as a chimpanzee fills in the daily role of an ordinary human being.

Production-wise, the film?s cinematography is nothing to write home about, but then wasn?t exactly shot outdoors during a solar eclipse. On the remastered stock, the shots are crisp, clear, and framed well enough to get the job done. The film?s architect could cut some dialogue from some slightly bulky scenes, but otherwise Bonzo seems tuned to a pretty healthy blueprint.

All in all, Bonzo is a well rounded package if you focus on its bright points ? and when you desire a brief hiatus from the typical Hollywood circus.

Overall Rating: B-/C+
½ May 2, 2009
Ronald Reagan + Monkey = Win! Also, I'm pretty sure the monkey is actually intended to be a metaphor for the Democratic party.
March 14, 2009
My favorite onscreen scream. And Bonzo was pretty cute too. :-)
January 13, 2009
Great for the novelty of watching Reagan act with a monkey; however besides that and some hysterically bad psychobabble, this movie should only be watched to be laughed at.
December 10, 2008
See uncle Ronnie in this monkey business comedy (while he still had his wits about him) before he went on the appear in his greatest two comedies of all time: Presidential Gig and it's sequel. Prezedidential Gig II: The Unconscious years.
May 16, 2008
This is a funny movie
November 27, 2007
Can monkeys be civilised? Bonzo can, and I love it.
November 1, 2007
Plot, more actors and Release date coming soon :)
October 20, 2007
very funny, probably president reagans best film
October 18, 2007
I want to see this so bad
October 6, 2007
I watched this a long time ago when I was a kid!
exnavykds
September 6, 2007
Cheesey but fun film made even more enjoyable by knowing that one of these two pictured stars would one day become the leader of the free world. Can you pick which one?
August 24, 2007
I've always heard about this movie - usually when people are joking about it. I had no clue what it was really about. It was on TCM tonight so I watched it. I have to admit... I really enjoyed it.