Beethoven: Eroica Reviews

• Dec 18, 2013

If you don't mind hearing the entire first movement and more of the Eroica Symphony and the astonishment of the guests and musicians, go ahead and HEAR as much as see this film. Don't expect the movie Amadeus (about Mozart) to jump out at you. This is more of a short subject film. Eroica is a BBC television film that dramatises the first performance of Beethoven's third symphony, the Eroica. It carries the tagline 'The day that changed music forever'. [img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/images/bbc/programmes_tv_idents_and_screenshots/drama/300eroica.jpg[/img] Beethoven This film picks up by the playing of what Beethovan proclaims will be something new, off the charts so to speak. And it is, to our illustrious prince and dignitaries. His Eroica 3rd Symphony is faced with a resounding NO. Undeterred, Beethoven rejects such rubbish and moves on. His divorced lady friend has children who need monetary support which she does not think is enough. Plus, she is not a fan of his music, this Eroica piece in particular. It's too violent she admits. Well, it is, compared to the bland, inoffensive tunes society is then accustomed to. [img]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/mFA_tT8_v-Q/mqdefault.jpg[/img] The woman who said NO to marriage to Beethoven and not because she did not love him Ludwig B. is portrayed here as a volitile young man who needs to apologize for his outbursts. He is denied wedding a noblewoman because he himself is not of royalty. You see a very upset Beethovan who is tired of the heirarchy of the day. [img]http://videos.videopress.com/Rb1NiiYI/eroica-the-movie-bbc-2003-subt-en-esp_std.original.jpg[/img] The man who totallt dismissed Eroica, The Third Symphony. Beethoven is championed by no less than an aging Joseph Hayden, well respected by the court of the day. You can see the dawning of new musical day in this Austria-Hungarian mansion, something Hayden knows is washing over him as he watches. Everything, he admits openly, is NEW from today. [img]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/J71gAMPz3_4/mqdefault.jpg[/img] The prince who sponsored Beethovan's new work, Eroica and his wife who loved everything new! The BBC has given Beethoven a beautiful romance filled film with period instruments, but it's not a birth-to-death biographical drama like Amadeus, but a short piece of the composer's life revolving around Ludwig's Eroica Symphony which is, after all, just what it is titled. I enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Give my regards to Ludwig. SEE the entire movie Eroica here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7R8AkopRdA REVIEWS by those like us: 100% This is not a movie chiefly concerned with music, rather its chiefly concerned with the imperative of enlightenment and progress in a time like this; ... 100% Excellent film. Must see. Great interpretation too. [img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuC4LPj32Esti6XW2q5kMABkrXFrEV6Z77tU2p4ZAoxTJsbEhUOg[/img] The servants caught admiring each other NOTES: 1 The music was played by Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique and conducted by Sir John Eliot Gardiner. It won the Prix Italia for Performing Arts in 2004. The main cast: Ian Hart - Ludwig van Beethoven Tim Pigott-Smith - Count Dietrichstein Jack Davenport - Prince Franz Lobkowitz Fenella Woolgar - Princess Marie Lobkowitz Claire Skinner - Countess Josephine von Deym Lucy Akhurst - Countess Teresa von Brunswick (Josephine's sister) Frank Finlay - Joseph Haydn Leo Bill - Ferdinand Ries Peter Hanson - Wranitzky (leader of the orchestra in the film and of Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique) Robert Glenister - Gerhardt (one of the prince's servants) Anton Lesser - Sukowaty (Beethoven's copyist). Directed by Simon Cellan Jones Produced by Liza Marshall Written by Nick Dear Music by Ludwig van Beethoven and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Release dates 2003 Running time 129 minutes Language English [img]http://www.freecodesource.com/album-cover/5178eBCzQ1L/-Beethoven:-Symphony-No.-3-in-E-Flat,-Op.-55-(Eroica).jpg[/img]

• Jan 28, 2013

This is not a movie chiefly concerned with music, rather its chiefly concerned with the imperative of enlightenment and progress in a time like this; it's a historical movie. The characters, some painfully tragic at first (the satisfied "land-owing sort of men) and others (the mere women) were liberal(in that time liberal meant something different) and honest. Beethoven was acted brilliantly: I did not doubt for a second that he was the irritable, bipolar genius we all knew him to be. He really makes for a great character in movies because of exactly how taut he holds those strings in the social fabric, sort to speak. The best musical piece ever made; it was performed better than I have ever heard it before, includingi the london symphony orchestra's version. As soon as mainstream makes a Beethoven movie - mark my words - there will be no more musicals winning academy awards.

• Jul 10, 2012

Excellent film. Must see. Great interpretation too.

Excellent film. Must see. Great interpretation too.

• Dec 27, 2011

Most likely only classical music lovers will like this movie

Most likely only classical music lovers will like this movie

• Feb 20, 2011

Really loved it. Thought that Ian Hart was a great choice for Beethoven in his early 30's when he could still hear fairly well and had yet to completely take the world by storm. Immortal Beloved's Gary Oldman did a good job of Beethoven, but I complained that he was too grim, dour and brooding and seemed to be ignorant of Beethoven's more boisterous nature which is well documented in several of his biographies that I've read. Hart seems to be more dialed into Beethoven as an eccentric, but lively and often humorous genius with a hair trigger temper, and also his affinity to commoners and his disdain and lack of respect for the nobility is fully revealed. The Eroica, Beethoven's 3rd, is rendered in a way that will make you further appreciate this masterwork that as Hadyn prophesied had changed everything. Those who don't fancy great classical music will prolly be bored to death, but that's the breaks. I know I'll watch it again and again.

• Jan 06, 2011

If you are at all into classical music this is incredibly moving and entertaining. Actually, it might even be a good way to increase your appreciation if you're not that into Beethoven but would like to have a better idea of what all the fuss is about. The acting is great, and the music brought me close to tears at points...

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Jan 01, 2011

This film overlays a performance of Beethoven's 3rd symphony with a bit of imaginative history of what the very first performance of this symphony might have been like. Hard to get away with a movie with no plot, no special effects, and almost no characters, scenery or dialogue. Yet this movie does just that based on its soundtrack, and the artful use of close-up shots that display the emotion one of Beethoven's masterpieces brings to its listeners. An homage to one of the greatest revolutions in music.

• Jul 21, 2010

Really enjoyed this investigation of the young genius as he gives a public rehearsal of his work, dedicated at first to Napoleon, before discovering the true nature of his hero & the emotions of his jilted love & on going deafness, sensitively shown here. The bonus extra of hearing this fine music separately w/out the drama is an added pleasure.

• Feb 25, 2009

A rather odd mixture of Beethoven biopic and concert film featuring a complete performance of the Eroica by the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique. But it's really good -- both the performance and the acting. My kids are a bit too young to have had their attention held by it, though they enjoyed seeing/hearing the stuff they already knew about (the last movement and Beethoven destroying the title page). I think it'd be really good for older kids who like Beethoven, however many of those there are.

• Jul 23, 2008

When I was a child, I studied music theory at camp every summer, that in addition to learning bits of it over the school year. Well--that's one of the things they teach young musicians. Most grade school music classrooms of my experience include large posters of the major composers of the various eras of musical history. You know, Bach for the Baroque and so forth. And what was always drilled into our heads was that Ludwig van Beethoven was a member of two eras. He was both Classical and Romantic. I suppose many of us assumed that it was because of when he lived. I don't think it was generally explained that he [i]created[/i] the Romantic era, that it is, by many, considered to date from the first performance of this, his Third Symphony, the Eroica. This is not about the first performance. This is about the first rehearsal, arguably a better landmark. Beethoven (Ian Hart) is showing his completed work to various of his noble patrons, including Prince Franz Joseph Maximillian Lobkowiz (Jack Davenport) and his wife (Fenella Woolgar). The prince has gathered an orchestra according to Beethoven's specifications, and this is to be a demonstration of the piece as much as a rehearsal. Of course, that's horrible, musically. I've sight-read music in my time, and generally, the orchestra muddles through. However, when I did it--when we as a group did it--there were all sorts of mangled notes and horrible foulings of the rhythm--and the music we played through was always [i]far[/i] simpler than the Eroica. Generally, when a group is called upon to play a work for the first time, there is much starting and stopping, much going back over various phrases. About the only times I've ever played a work all the way through the way this orchestra is shown to do is when that was what the competition required. What's more, the music we played was not as revolutionary as the Eroica would have been to these men. Beethoven would have [i]expected[/i] uncertainty, even complete breaking down. Oh, there's other plot to this story--Beethoven's proposal to Josephine Deym nee Brunsvik (Claire Skinner), for example. The appearance of Haydn (Frank Finlay). And, always, the discussion of Napoleon. The discussion among the musicians and how it differs from the discussion among the nobles. Beethoven's belief that Napoleon will be a saviour of the poor, an inspiration to the masses. In 1803, it was still possible for Beethoven to believe that. This is not a conventional story. In place of dialogue, for most of the film, we have music--but what music! I think perhaps you must have a certain amount of musical training to understand how revolutionary this piece is. I don't know if the average person can get it from just comparing Mozart, or even the earlier Beethoven, to the Eroica. However, as Haydn himself observed, music was never to be the same again.